Roon not working when iMac goes into sleep mode

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac (mid 2011) - HighSierra

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

AVM Fritzbox - Cable - 6591 - Ethernet to the Core - WiFi to the Device

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Naim Uniti Atom - connected via WiFi

Description Of Issue

Until a hour ago I could run Roon using my iMac as the Core also when the iMac was on sleep. Now suddenly it stopped to work and Roon Core is only accessible when the iMac is turned on.
My iPhone and iPad can’t find the core anymore once it is on sleep and I can’t connect to my Naim Uniti Atom using the Roon iOS App. All this working an hour ago.
I just signed up to Roon a week ago after a successful trial period - not being able to connect to the Roon Core with the iMac being in “Sleep-Mode” would be a “dealbreaker”.
Anyone having the same issues? any help to have this fixed?

Thank you for your help.

Define sleep mode. The machine that Roon Core is running on needs to be awake and fully functioning for Roon to work.

Hi Danny
after 15min my iMac goes do sleep-mode. (that’s may current setting). As I have my iMac in my “office” I rarely use it and I only have it on as Roon Core. I am controlling the music from my iPad.
Since today it suddenly stopped working. I had to “wake-up” my iMac from from Sleep mode in order to be able to play music via the Roon App on the iPad.
I wonder why was this working before and from one minute to the other it changed.

Thanks again.

That’s weird Roon was working at all during sleep mode, or any program for that matter.

Maybe it was waking when you accessed Roon thru your ipad, etc. although I have no idea why that function would suddenly go away.

In any case, I believe you can set sleep so that your monitor goes dark at least, maybe hard drive can be set to stop also, but the computer remains running.

I use a Mac Mini for Roon server. I have tried to get it to wake when accessing Roon via the network, but could never get that to work. Sometimes Roon had to be restarted after sleep, which was a pain.

So, unfortunately, I leave the mini on all the time, although it is headless.

If you figure out how to wake it via the network, let me know.

Hi @Javier_Llorente,

As mentioned above, the machine that the Roon Core is running on needs to be awake for remotes to be able to connect and function properly. You can change your sleep settings so that the screen shuts off but the machine itself is still functioning and that should work for you. RoonServer might also be something you’d be interested in if you’re wanting to have a “headless” setup.

As for why things changed for you — It’s hard to say for sure. There was no change to Roon that would affect this. Most likely the power saving setting in sleep mode is now deciding to kill Roon to conserve power when it wasn’t doing that before, but we don’t have the insight into that functionality to know for sure why that might be.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.