Roon Nucleus Android app locks up when accessing lyrics on Samsung S24 Ultra (ref#UCBG9K)

What’s happening?

· Something else

How can we help?

· I am experiencing freezes or crashes

Describe the issue

Roon Nucleus Android app locking up only when I click the 3 vertical buttons to click on lyrics. Have tried updating everything on all devices. Have to hard close app on Samsung S24 Ultra and reopen. Everything else works, just locks up when I click lyrics. I recently added an Eversolo DMP-A8 to my system, which seems to be when the issue started.

Describe your network setup

Spectrum cable modem, Asus AX11000 router, various switches, AIMesh network with 3 nodes (all wired). Roon Nucleus, Eversolo DMP-A8, Marantz SR8015. Doesn't seem to be any network issues. Just the Android app locks when attempting to view lyrics. Windows Roon app doesn't have a problem.

Hello @Robert_Bolender ,

Thanks for reaching out. This issue can happen on outdated Roon / RoonServer versions. Can you please try to update to the latest version of Roon? You can do this by navigating to your Web UI and pressing Reinstall Operating System:

Hi, Thanks for your assistance. I tried this but it seemed to be the most current version, Version 2.1 (build 271) production. I tried clicking the reinstall multiple times and then restarted the Nucleus but the issue persists.

Hi @Robert_Bolender,
According to our records you are running build 1462 on your Nucleus the current build is 1470. This link will show you how to do that. https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/updating-nucleus#Updating_RoonServer

This version number is the Roon OS version. This is separate from the Roon server software. I know that’s a little confusing.

Have restarted both Version 2.0 (build 1462) production. Still occurs.

Hi @Robert_Bolender ,

We’ve tried to enable diagnostics mode for your account, but it looks like no log files are coming in. I believe this symptom and the update might be related.

We have seen users have a better experience in the past if they change their Router’s DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Cloudflare DNS, Quad9 or Google DNS. Can you please give this a try, reinstall OS and let me know if it helps?

I’m using Pi-Hole to prevent a lot of ad related traffic on my network. I’m going to try disabling that for the Nucleus One in the next minute or so to see if that allows you access. I notice when I goto the “About” section in the Windows Roon app the Room Remote shows the version as 2.0 build 1470 and the Roon server shows 2.0 build 1462 but shows an error checking for update.

I manually set the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and set the Nucleus One to DMZ temporarily. I reinstalled the Roon app for Windows as admin and when I goto the “About” section the Roon Server generates the following message whether set to auto update or manual and I click the "An update is ready to be downloaded link. Either one looks like it starts to download then has an error and says, “There was an error checking for an update.”

I managed to update the Roon Server software to the latest version by using the DNS director function in my Asus AX-11000 router and setting the global redirect to Google’s 8.8.8.8 DNS server. I’m wondering why the DNS server should be such a big deal to the Nucleus One in order to update as many people run behind proxies, VPNs, etc but this did solve the issue with the app locking up when accessing the lyrics. Thanks for your assistance!