Roon remotes cannot connect roon core

Hi, I have the same issue with the same setup (“Nucleus (Roon OS1.0 (build 227), Version 2.0 (build 1143) production”, Connected to router(Fritzbox 7590 via direct ethernet cable, using Roon and Roon ARC Remote Apps on iPhone, iPad, android Tab, audio devices: Sonos and raspberry Pi streamer. All devices are in the same network. Remotes an Roon Apps connected perfectly untill Saturday 5.11 evening. Since Sunday-morning 6.11 - without having applied any changes - I’m just getting the “initializing-message” on all my remotes. My Fritz-App gives me this Information:

Obviously my Roon Server Software is missing Codecs. Any Help is much appreciated to solve this issue.

Hi @Erik_Meier,

I have moved your post to a thread of its own. Please fill out the template below and support will get with you as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Wes

Roon Core Machine

Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM).

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your networking gear (model of routers/switches/etc), connection types (Wifi/Ethernet), and any firewalls, antivirus, or VPN software.

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.

Number of Tracks in Library

Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”.

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!

Hi Wes, I cant find the new thead you moved for me - sorry I filled out the template below. Thanks for your help.

————

Roon Core Machine

ROCK, Intel Nuc Model Nuc5i5MYHE
USB Drive with 5 TB and about 3 TB of Music files - mainly FLAC.

Roon and Roon ARC Remote Apps on iPhone, iPad, Android Tab, audio devices:

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Fritzbox 7590 router.
Netgear switch.
All direct ethernet cable connected.
All devices are in the same network.

Connected Audio Devices

Sonos, raspberry Pi with Allo Signature hat, Volumio Primo, Platin Hub (WISA Transmitter for Buchardt Active Loudspeakers) and Chromecast Audio.

Number of Tracks in Library

?

Description of Issue

Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much
Roon, Roon-

Remotes and Roon Apps connected perfectly untill Saturday 5.11 evening. Since Sunday morning 06.11 - without having applied any changes - I’m just getting the “initializing-message” on all my remotes.

My Fritz-App gives me this Information:

The failure to connect and the missing codecs are probably unrelated. Not sure about the connection, but let’s check the codecs first:

Did you ever install the codecs like this?

Note that you would notice missing codecs only if you try to play mp3 or AAC files, or similar formats

I was just assuming the missing codecs could be related to the connect -failure. I never installed any codecs. In practice I never had any disturbing issues with the codecs. I have some AAC-files on the USB drive and I could see and play them by using my roon-remotes. Can’t remember noticing my old mp3-files that should be on the USB-Drive - but this issue never bothered me. The big issue is the sudden failure to connect from day to the next without having applied any changes.

Thought so :slight_smile: Was just ruling out that some issue wiped out the codecs.

For the connection, did you try turning off the rock, the router, and all remotes, then first turning on the router, waiting a few minutes, then the rock, then the remote’s?

Unfortunately I still don’t have connection after appliying this process. May it be because my Intel-Nuc was accessed from outside? I had mixed feelings about IT-security two weeks ago when I enabled port-forwarding to use Roon ARC.

Database problem. You should not have 100% of 481 GB available on the RoonOS SSD when you have 3 TB of FLAC in the music library.

AJ

1 Like

When I disconnect my external 5 TB -Drive with my music library and restart roon rock without - it still doesn’t connect. I’m not sure if I understand your hint “database problem”. What would be a possible solution?

@WiWavelength is making a good point. Roon maintains a database for your music and showing 100% free on the database SSD is certainly odd if you have 3 TB of files. The database always tends to be small compared to the SSD size, but I have 300 GB of music files and the database uses ~1% of my 256 GB SSD:

If there is an issue with the database, disconnecting the disk with the music files is not going to help because it won’t fix the database damage.

By the way, as the missing codecs are not the problem, it would probably be good to edit the thread title to reflect the actual issue. You may get more/faster help.

O.K - I edited the thread. Would you recommend to do the whole setup of Rock on my Intel Nuc all over again?

Is this a new installation or have you been using it for a while?
Did you make any edits to the database (e.g., tags, credits) or did you accept everything as created by Roon?
Do you have a backup of the database?

I have been using this installation for about two years with little issues - except occasional interruptions of the connection of my remotes to the roon core - depending presumably either on the current roon-built or on the updates of the audio gear. connected. Roon 2.0 was very stable in this regard. I allways accepted everything as suggested and created by Roon. Not sure about the backup of the database. There should be a recent backup - made by Roon - in a folder on the attached 5 TB -USB Drive.

I see. Do ensure that you have a backup that works, but if you never edited things, I don’t think that you would lose much or anything by starting from scratch.

However, before your make that step I would wait until @Wes comes back to this thread, he may well have a better idea

@Suedkiez unfortunately, I don’t have a better idea for @Erik_Meier. It looks like a reinstall of ROCK is the best path.

Here is the guide for that process.

EDIT:
Please try this first

Please let me know what your end result is!

Thanks,
Wes

Hi Erik, Yes our issues seem to be identical, mine also stared on the same day as yours…6/11

Wes, do you want me to re-submit the info or just Erik?

Hi Matt, thanks for letting me know. What still worries me - besides the effort of the forthcomming reinstall,is that I still don’t know the cause - why this issue stared 6/11. Hope you can solve the problem successfully.

Is yours also showing the database disk as 100% available?

Its showing as 99% available

Hi Wes, is there anything else I can try for my issue?..its interesting that my problem is similar to Erik’s…and they started on the same day-6th November after 1.5 years of trouble free usage…