Roon Nucleus Not Reading Certain Tracks In My Library

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Nucleus

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Virgin Broadband via ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Linn Katalyst DSM

Description Of Issue

Hi

Took possession of my Roon Nucleus last week, the Roon Core having previously been on my iMac. Migration seemed fine, having copied my iTunes library onto a Samsung T5 SSD and connected it to the Nucleus using one of the USB ports, but I now notice that there are a significant number of tracks from the copied iTunes library that the Nucleus is not reading, despite the fact that I could access and play them on the old setup. In the attached image you can see some of the tracks in question, and you can see that in one case one track from a specific album can be accessed by Nucleus, but another track from the same album cannot. The bulk of my listening is streaming from Qobuz, which is operating perfectly, but it is frustrating that I cannot access all of my iTunes library, especially as I’ve just shelled out £1500 for the Nucleus. Any advice you can offer would be gratefully received.

Best regards

Alan

Hi @Alan_Meldrum,

If you try to search for the unavailable tracks in Roon, are you able to locate them?
What kind of file format are the unavailable tracks? Are they by any chance files with DRM?

Hi

I tried a search for one of the tracks in my original attachment - Carino by T-Coy. As you can see from the attachment below, I was able to locate and play this. However, the track is in a playlist, and you can see from the second attachment that the track artwork is greyed out, and I am unable to play it. The track is not DRM protected, it was originally ripped from a CD. Any thoughts?

Regards

Alan

File info from iTunes shown below:

File info for another track from the same album. Unlike the T-Coy track I can locate and play this for within the playlist.

A

Further update - if I search for a track that is greyed out and showing as ‘unavailable’ in a playlist, then save it back into the same playlist (as shown in the images below), then the track appears in the playlist with artwork in place and I am able to play it. This means that I will have to scroll through all of my playlists and carry out this process for all the greyed out tracks, of which there are many, so while I’m glad to have found a solution, it’s a bit of a pain, as I’d already saved them once already and as far as I can remember they could be accessed and played before when the Core was on my Mac. Do you have any idea why these tracks became unreadable when I migrated to Nucleus?

Regards

Alan

I’m guessing that it’s because these are local files - and if you’ve moved your storage locations as part of your migrations, then it looks as though Playlists hold absolute file path references which don’t get updated in the migration process.

Hi

How is it then that one track from a certain library album can be read post migration, yet another cannot, as illustrated in the first image I sent you?

Regards

Alan

As I said - I’m guessing. Best of luck in tracking down the cause.

Hi

As I’m using your application on your equipment, and I am describing an issue that has arisen since the purchase of that equipment, I had hoped for more a bit more insight into the problem. My technical knowledge is somewhat limited, and frankly I wouldn’t have a clue as to how I would go about ‘tracking down the cause’. Could you pass this issue on to someone who might have encountered this problem before? I don’t imagine this is the first time this issue has been identified.

Regards

Alan

Hi @Alan_Meldrum.
Geoff is another Roon user like you (and me). Sometimes we can step in and help quickly, before the task gets to the Roon Technical guys like Noris and Dylan (with “jellyfish” icons). So, nobody is taking your problem lightly.
Roon staff will help you get to the bottom of your problem.

Hi

Sorry about that, and humble apologies to Geoff, who I mistakenly thought was a Roon advisor. Thanks for the heads up Scott, and for taking an interest. Just experiencing a degree of frustration at the moment with this issue, which I hadn’t anticipated when I got the Nucleus, and my IT knowledge is somewhat rudimentary. Hope I didn’t offend anyone.

Best regards

Alan

Hello @Alan_Meldrum,

Thank you for your patience until your case has reached my queue again and really appreciate that additional screenshots!

In this screenshot here, I see that the location for the file contains a special character in the name, which may be causing Roon some confusion.

Since the Core was previously on the iMac, what I suspect here is that Roon imported the file with one “set” of the special characters on the iMac, but when searching for the tracks on the Nucleus, the special character is different than the one contained in the iMac database.

Can you please confirm if all of the “Unavailable” files that you have located fit the pattern of having special characters in the file path?

Hi

I was unaware of any other of the unavailable tracks from my iTunes library having special characters in the file path, but it is a moot point because since I last heard from you I have spent a considerable amount of time scrolling through playlists and re-saving iTunes files that had been unreadable. Bit of a pain, but I now have playable versions for all the iTunes tracks in my playlists which had been greyed out before.

I have since noticed an iTunes library file, shown in the attachment, which I can play on iTunes, and which I had previously saved into two separate playlists in Roon, but is no longer visible in these playlists. I cannot locate it when I do a Roon search, so I am a little frustrated once again. If it is in my iTunes library, and I can play it in iTunes, why, if I copied my entire iTunes library containing that file to an SSD during the migration process, can I not locate it now? I know it is only a poor quality MP3 file, but it is the only version of this much-loved piece of music I have, and I would dearly like to access it using Roon. If you could advise I would be grateful

Regards

Alan

Hi

Any thoughts you could share on the issue raised in my last message would be appreciated, as it is now six days since I last heard from you. Are you having to deal with an increased number of customer concerns? I only ask because your turnaround time for responding to requests is usually much less. Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Alan

It is possible the header is corrupted in some way. This is the ‘data’ portion of the file that Roon uses to identify the music. It’s possible iTunes can still read it, but Roon can’t, especially if iTunes was used to rip it originally.
This can often be fixed by transcoding it. Basically a program reads the file and rewrites it and in so doing corrects the error. A program like dBpoweramp is the gold standard for this. You would have it read the file and ‘transcode’ into another related format (like ALAC).

Hi @Alan_Meldrum,

Thank you for you patience here while your case reached my queue again.

Thanks for letting us know that this aspect is resolved, we can certainly take a look at the MP3 issue next.

What happens if you try to copy this file to a new folder in the storage location and manually specify that folder to be imported as a separate storage location into Roon? Does the track then import properly?

You can then also try to locate the file by file path using Focus - Inspector:

If the .MP3 file is not visible even when specifying the manual folder location, you can try transcoding it as @grossmsj suggests.

Do let us know if that helps!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.