Roon Nucleus+
Windows laptop and android app

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Xfinity modem > Eero wi-fi router > Nucleus+ hard-wired

Connected Audio Devices

CAT 5

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

My Nucleus+ has been working just fine for more than one year. I just got a new internet service provider (xfinity) and mesh wi-fi (Eero). Now the Nucleus+ doesn’t show up on my network.

Normally I have the Nucleus+ wired to a cisco router for my AV rack system. However, after the Roon wasn’t discovered when connected to the whole rack system, I bypassed the main router and just ran ethernet cable from my Eero to the Nucleus.

I have performed all normal troubleshooting steps: unplug modem and router, disconnect ethernet, restart modem, wait, plug in eero, wait, plug in Nucleus+.

Ethernet jack on Nucleus+ blinks green for activity. I check my Eero app and it does not show any unrecognized hard-wired connections. I run Roon on my PC and on my phone and just get the “taking longer to connect…” message.

I’m at the end of my rope. All I can think of it that the Roon Nucleus+ itself has an issue.

@support any suggestions?

Did you have it set to use a fixed ipaddress at all? If so then it’s likely trying to connect using this which is likey no longer valid under your new system.

Can you check your router to see what’s connected to it? Can you see your Nucleus if you do? Can you hook it up to a monitor or tv whilst running to see what the output says?

If you can find it this way make a note of the ip address and compare to other devices on your network you use to connect to Roon. Are they using the same subnet? You can check this by comparing the 3rd set of numbers from ipaddresses. The 3rd set needs to the same for all devices for things to work correctly. If they are not then your running more than one network which will confuse things.

1 Like

@RICK_JOHNSON
Fing is a handy little program for checking what devices you have on your network if you are not sure how to find in CMD window.
As @CrystalGipsy said, if you have a monitor you can plug into the nucleus,it will show any errors if there are any, and will also confirm if it is booting up ok or not.
Always worth making sure all the cables are plugged in firmly on nucleus and router etc.

1 Like

I’ll second this. I’ve been using it on Android phones for years and I’ve found it useful for Desktop as well (available for Windows and MacOS).

Yes works on iOS as well.

1 Like

@CrystalGipsy @RodS Thanks for the ideas! I appreciate your quick responses.

In my old Orbi router, the Roon may very well have had a fixed IP. My old Orbi router used a 10.0.0 format, whereas my new eero router uses a 192.168 format. I suspect may have something to do with the issue. Could the Roon still be “stuck” on the old 10.0 format, or should that clear out once Roon is unplugged / disconnected?

Also just as an FYI my xfinity router is set to bridge mode, and the dashboard is accessed by going to 10.0.0.1. Nothing looks unusual.

The Eero only accessible via app; no browser version. I’m not seeing anything questionable in looking through the Eero app settings. Eero IP address is 192.168.4.1. Eero is set to automatically assign IP addresses. No IPv4 reservations and no IPv6 firewall rules. DNS page looks a bit different from my old router. On the Eero, IPv4 primary is 75.75.75.75, which is the ISP DNS default. Would I need to set manually to something else? IPv6 primary is 2001:558:feed::1. UPnP is on.

@CrystalGipsy I plugged the Nucleus straight into the Eero. The Eero app shows me everything that is connected via wi-fi and via wired. The Roon was not showing up as wired, strangely enough. I’ve tried two different ethernet cables (both of which work on other devices), so that’s not the issue. I’m going to need to buy an adapter to go from ethernet to HDMI in order to plug the Roon straight into my laptop to use it as a monitor to view the Roon. Soooo…that may take a day or two.

I have Fing up and running now, @RodS. It is not showing the Roon (or any other unidentified devices). HOWEVER… it does give me an error: “Your network is working, but something needs attention. Health check code: W406.” As I drill into it, Fing doesn’t “fail” a test, it’s just a warning that “Network netmask (prefix length) is not tuned correctly. Home network is too wide: 192.168.4.0/22, up to 1024 devices.”

Also FYI, I have now plugged my eero back into my main switch for my AV rack. Eero recognizes all wired and wireless connections…except the Roon.

Any other suggestions before I get an ethernet-HDMI adapter to check what Roon looks like when I boot?

Once you get the Nucleus on a screen, you can try resetting the network on it. Why do you need an Ethernet to HDMI ? You need to go into an extender? The Nucleus has a standard hdmi socket to plug into a monitor.

OMG obviously common sense is not my forte’. Yes, I had envisioned needing a long run to get it to my TV. Simple answer is to take the Roon out of the rack and plug it into my home office monitor. I’m sure I have a USB keyboard somewhere in my “I may need this” electronics bins!

I’ll give that a shot and report back, but I’m 99.9% certain this will fix the issue.

Thanks again for your time and responsiveness!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.