Roon Nucleus Rev B - Cant find Roon Core

Roon Core Machine

Roon Core: Roon Nucleus Rev B (plugged into RAX10)
Roon remote: MacOS Monterey 12.6

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Australian NBN
Modem: Belong (Sagecom?) 4353
Router: Netgear RAX10

Description of Issue

I was attempting to deal with a port forwarding issue (Roon Arc) in my router when I enabled my bridge setting. Upon restarting, my entire internet was down. After some panicked attempts, I managed to get the internet started, and consequently into the router to ensure that the router was not in bridge mode. All is working well across the network, except Roon.
It cannot find Roon core.
It cannot find RoonOS Web Interface.
I’ve investigated the connections and turned it on and off again - I’m at the end of my limited computer knowledge! Can you help?! I can’t go much longer without my music!

There was a problem connecting

Thanks
Andrew

1 Like

Hey @Andrew_D,

It’s great to see you on the Roon Community! You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

Following up on this thread, are you able to access the Nucleus webUI? Here is more information on this: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/nucleus-web-administration-interface#Connecting_to_the_Web_Administration_Interface

If you have a recent backup saved, I would look at resetting the database (as long as you can restore a backup) to see if your issue persists with a fresh database.

I’ll be on standby for your reply :+1:

No worries Benjamin, I can imagine you’re super busy! Thanks heaps for getting back to me.

I can’t access the webUI, it wouldn’t load.
I do have a backup on a thumb drive connected to the Nucleus. But I don’t know how to reset the database

thanks for your help
Andrew

Hey @Andrew_D,

To confirm, you plugged the nucleus into a monitor directly to try to access the webUI, correct? If you plug it in and boot up the nucleus, what do you see? Please share a screenshot if you can.

With that, I would completely power down the device and unplug it for a few minutes. Boot it up after that and let me know if you see anything on the monitor :+1:

Hi Benjamin

The screenshot is attached. It was the same after rebooting.

Ive attached a pic of the Roon webUI attempting to load, as well as its timeout notice. its been doing this from the start

Andrew

What is the ip address of the Mac?

Hey Daniel

I don’t think the IP address of my MacBook is related to the cause as I have had it shut down since before the issue, and am only using my MacBook, iPhone and iPad with Roon remote. Roon is looking for its core and not finding it. Unless im mistaken… :grimacing:!

cheers
andrew

I was asking for the IP address to determine if you have put your core on a different network than the rest of the remotes.

hmmm…how would I look for that ip address?
could it be related to the port fowarding/bridge issue with Roon Arc?

Not sure, I don’t use Macs, but, a quick search pulls this up:

Thanks for that!
MacBook IP address 192.168.1.8

So your MacBook at 192.168.1.8 is on a completely different network than your nucleus core which is at 172.16.0.2. Roon needs the core, control devices and endpoints to be on the same network. So, your Nucleus need to also start with 192.168.1 like your MacBook. The last number needs to be unique, like the 8 at the end of your MacBook IP.

This: Modem: Belong (Sagecom?) 4353 is probably creating one network

and

This: Router: Netgear RAX10 is creating the other.

Which one is the Nucleus plugged into?

1 Like

This is so helpful!
It’s plugged into the RAX10
(That also would probably explain why the port forwarding with roon arc is saying there is two IP addresses)

So, how do I change the nucleus’s IP given I can’t access it?!
(By the way, you’re very patient! Thanks)

What does your monitor on the nucleus show its IP to be now ?

still 172.16.0.2

@Andrew_D
Had you set a static IP for your nucleus?
Please have a look:

1 Like

Hey Axel
unfortunately I don’t have a usb keyboard atm.
I will have to source one
I suspect I will discover I have set a static IP
Andrew

Axel
Your suggestion bore fruit and roon is up and working
Thanks greatly

Also, thanks to Benjamin and Daniel for your assistance

Andrew

2 Likes

That’s great! I’m glad to hear that.
Enjoy the music!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.