Roon nucleus server not connecting

Roon Server Machine

Nucleus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus mesh network. Nucleus connected via ethernet cable to modem directly.

Connected Audio Devices

Tidal contros (lumin integration) streamer with Tidal speakers.

Number of Tracks in Library

10k odd

Description of Issue

Suddenly roon server not connecting since 2 weeks. I reinstalled OS, restarted server etc several times. It shows the nucleus sometimes but when I click on Connect, goes back to saying can’t find the server.
Please advise.

I see that you are using a smartphone (connected to your Mesh network) to connect to your Nucleus (connected directly to your modem). Is it possible that the Mesh network is now using a different subnet?

I see that your Nucleus has an IP address of 192.168.50.63. What IP address does your smartphone have at the moment?

Mobile ip is 192.168.50.8

Can you post a screenshot of the IP settings of your Nucleus? Scroll down in the Web Administration Interface that you show in your first screenshot to display the network settings.

Well, that all looks OK. I think we’re going to have to wait until @support can pull logs from your Nucleus for further investigation. Your issue will be in their queue for further action.

No VPN running on phone?

No.
And I have also tried from my other devices like my ipad and macbook. Same issue

Hey @Shekhar_Chauhan,

First, please head to the webUI of your Nucleus and reinstall the OS. From there, please give your router a power cycle, and see if your issues persist.

Hi

I already tried this before reaching out to Roon support.

Regards
Shekhar

In Asus settings → LAN → IPTV, Enable Multicast Routing.

After this setting is saved and you can access Asus settings again, power cycle the whole network of devices starting from all Asus units, including Nucleus, Contros / Lumin, NAS (if any), and all mobile devices.

On your mobile devices, uninstall all VPN apps you may have.

No luck. It shows like this… Initialising… Then initialised… Then when I click on connect… It again shows trying to find roon server.

Hi @Shekhar_Chauhan,

It appears that your macbook is running an old version of Roon, 1.8, which is not compatible with your Nucleus, which is running Roon 2.0.

Could you please make sure you’re running the latest roon build across all your devices? You can download a fresh version below:

https://roon.app/en/downloads

I think we can ignore the macbook. I only use it sometimes for rew software. That shouldn’t have anything to do with the nucleus not connecting from my Android phone and iPad right?

Hi, any guidance on next steps to get the roon nucleus working?
I have already done the basics of reinstallation /reboot etc. Haven’t heard from you on what the issue wirh the nucleus is.
Sometimes it says Initialising, but just stays like that. Sometimes it says Initialised, ready to connect, but then goes to Can’t find the server. And sometimes it just doesn’t find the server. I have been going in these same circles since two weeks.

Hi @Shekhar_Chauhan,

Let’s set aside your current database and see if you’re able to proceed past the initialization period. Do you have a recently saved backup?

• Create a Backup of your current Roon Database (in your situation, we’ll likely need to rely on a previously saved backup, if available)
  • Stop RoonServer from running in Nucleus’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Nucleus’ Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Database
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Roon Server” and connect to the new database

Thanks Benjamin.
Since I have a nucleus, after I stopped the server via webUI, I tried opening \NUCLEUS\Data on my windows PC Mocrosoft Edge Explorer, but it says File not found.
I can see Roon and Roon Server folders in local app data directory. I renamed Roon Server to Roon Server old, but after I started Nucelus again, there was no new folder created.
Please advise.

You don’t use the Edge web browser to access this location, you enter \\Nucleus\Data into Windows File Explorer to access this network location.

Yes, but those are for your Roon and Roon Server on your Windows PC - nothing to do with the Roon Server software on your Nucleus.

Hmm, I am not able to do this.
When I type the address, it just says Not Found. Should I try to connect lan cable directly between my PC and Nucelus? What will be the steps to follow then?

No don’t do this. You will end up with a non-functioning network (if you haven’t already arrived there).

Can you please post a screenshot of Windows File Explorer showing what you are typing into it and the messages you are getting?

Oh, and I just noticed that you have a Nucleus+, so what you should be typing is \\Nucleusplus\Data