Roon Nucleus+ suddenly not recognizing USB DDC that has been working for almost 2yrs

Now I’m guessing the USB input on the GAIA is blown. Maybe a lightning strike or some such while you were away?

The Nucleus only seems to “see” the DAC when it’s turned on (and maybe even only when the USB input on the DAC is selected), which may explain why it didn’t see the Terrminator Plus when you connected it directly.

Yes. Good point.

Thanks Dan and Bill. No not really. On all tests I always made sure the DDC was on and USB chosen likewise for the DAC.

But why or even how would the DAC’s USB also be blown? Nothing was hooked up to it. Anyway, to absolutely prove this one way or the other i would need a digital source with USB output that’s not looking/hunting/interrogating the other device or find another Nucleus+. At this point I can’t say the USB port on either the DDC or the DAC is/are blown. Is it possible or maybe even likely the DDC USB port got hit? yes. Both I highly don’t think so. I’m waiting for Alvin to respond.

Thanks for the heads up, Orpheo!
I’m responding to your email. Let’s see!

Quick update - Alvin has given me instructions and files to update the DDC and DAC. DAC update completed successfully to V3.14. Both MacBook Pro and Nucleus+ see the DAC and music outputs fine. Next up updating the DDC.

2 Likes

Hi @ORPHEO_IYAMU ,

Thanks for your patience here while your case reached our queue. Looking over your symptoms here it does sound strange that only the USB is impacted, it looks like your HDMI outputs are showing up ok according to your unit diagnostics, so it doesn’t look like the Nucleus itself is having the issue, and the keyboard working also seems to confirm this.

Do let us know if the update also solves the issue for the DDC side.

Sorry for tardy reply it’s been a heck of a week at work. Alvin of Vinshine provided the firmware update but the GAIA did not respond still. So I sent it to Todd - Alvin’s US based extraordinary Technician. Seems like Todd received it worked on it immediately, tested it and sent it back out. 3 days total I had the GAIA back. Then I had to travel so I could not test it.

Preliminary quick test - the GAIA now responds to a laptop hookup and plays music via the USB however it did not respond to the Nucleus+. So as far as using the Nucleus+ back to square one.

Final update - Nucleus+ is working again with the Denafrips GAIA. The only change was I plugged in the SSD drive in the 2nd USB port on the Nucleus+. I’m not saying that’s why it’s now working but it is and I’m happy. Thanks all for your assistance. Todd had replaced the GAIA USB connector (D+/D- connections had gotten grounded).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.