Roon Nucleus to Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC over USB 2.0

Setup is Roon Nucleus to Mytek 192 DSD DAC (via USB 1.1 now) and then to W4S mAmp monoblocks via balanced.

The advice for getting the best out of the Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC is to use either USB 2.0 or FireWire input. Nucleus does not have Firewire as output, so unless it works Thunderbolt output from Nucleus->Firewire input on DAC, it seems to be off the table and only USB 2.0 seems to be the common denominator? But I understand neither will work from Nucleus to the DAC.

Wojtek from Mytek said that USB 2.0 won’t work because it won’t support USB Audio Class transmission in contrast to USB 1.1. And Roon Nucleus needs USB Audio Class transmission to work.

Is there any software updates you are planning or could develop to get the USB 2.0 to work with the Mytek 192 DAC?

1 Like

Just in case there is no plan to have that support in Nucleus, there is a solution involving a Roon endpoint. If the endpoint has specific support for USB 2.0 input of Stereo192 DSD then it should work, for example the Lumin U1 MINI. It supports USB 2.0 input of Stereo192 DSD, up to PCM 192kHz and DSD64 in DoP format. With U1 MINI you can also compare USB 2.0 input against AES (PCM 192kHz, DoP64) and see which sounds best to you.

@support guys, could you indicate one way or other. I will look into a new DAC/PRE if there’s no chance of this happening.

Hello @Kris_K,

I have forwarded your question to the tech team to verify this info. I will be sure to let you know once this request reaches their queue and they comment on this matter.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Kris_K,

Thanks for the feedback, we’re going to look into the possibility of adding this feature in Roon. We’ve opened a ticket and passed it to the dev team.

Since this is a 3rd party kernel extension I can’t make any guarantees, but our team will look into this, and I’ll be in touch once I have some news.

Thanks,
Noris

@noris - crossing my fingers!

1 Like

@noris just fyi, Wojtek from Mytek promised to help your tech guys as good as they can should you contact Mytek on this topic.

Thanks for letting me know @Kris_K,

I have added that as a note for this request, I will be sure to let you know of any developments for this topic but generally speaking, kernel updates take some time to verify compatibility and test in QA so I cannot provide a timeline of when this request will reach the dev team’s queue. I appreciate your patience while they look into this and will share any other information as it arrives.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

@noris What is the potential timeline we are talking here to get to the front of queue on this request? 1 month, 3 mo, 6 mo, 12 mo?

I am also getting frequent popping (one pop every x half/minutes) from FLAC files and with classical it’s getting increasingly annoying. Don’t know if it’s the Mytek and USB 1.1 but as I am running a very simple path, what else could it be…

Hello @Kris_K,

Unfortunately, we still do not have a timeline available to share at this moment. I will be sure to follow up with the development team when they are all back from Holliday next week, and hopefully I will be able to provide some further concrete information and expectations then. Thanks for your patience on this!

-John

Hi @john , any updates on the topic. Quite fustrating to see the Mytek Stereo 192-dsd- DAC on your supported devices only available on nucleus via USB 1.0 supporting only 96KHz instead of the full 192KHz + DSD. Tx for your feedback. Kind regards

1 Like

Got rid of my Mytek stereo 192 dsd, last year. It is a dead end… and my last mytek product ever.

1 Like

Hello @arthur0603,

I’m going to ping the development team for an update, I’ll be sure to update the thread once they’ve had a chance to take a look at this issue.

-John

1 Like

Aside from the slow fix from the technicians wherever they are located. Clearly John does not work in the same office as them and maybe not even in the same country. Why can’t you just pick up a used Transport like an Auralic Aries and connect it via AES to your Mytek? The Aries is Roon tested end point and it’s wireless.

1 Like

This is also what I did with Allo Digione Signature but it’s not what I planned when trying to minimise box count, needing an extra box and two PSUs with this setup compared to going direct from Nucleus to Mytek.

1 Like

I can’t imagine mytek is going to help work on a driver for ROCK, they haven’t been interested in updating the driver for Mac OS for more than 5 years (and there hasn’t been an official driver for linux ever). rendering the dac useless after a few years…

@Michael_Mowery does the Aries have drivers for the mytek, it’s more miss than hit with compatibility on linux based os’s.

1 Like

I don’t know. Would the AES connection require them?

nope AES would be possible, but limited to dsd64

But at least you can hear music.

There is a Linux driver for Mytek Stereo 192 DSD USB 2.0 function, as we have it in our Lumin U1 (Mini) products and we have customers using this combo. However, the old driver or the hardware it based on is not quite perfect for today’s generally accepted Linux requirements, there are quirks and some workarounds necessary. In our implementation it can only be detected at boot time.

Even with this driver the maxmium rate for Linux playback is still DSD64. DSD128 cannot be done using it due to DoP requirements.

A customer told me he found using the AES input to sound better than the USB 2.0 input.