Roon Nucleus to Yamaha CX-A5200 via HDMI

Hello Roon,
I’m new here, this is my first post. I am considering buying a Roon Nucleus for streaming Qobuz and playing ripped CDs to a Yamaha CX-A5200 A/V processor. The Yamaha is NOT Roon ready so I will have to either buy a DAC or connect to the Yamaha via HDMI. I plan to put a 2TB SSD in the Nucleus.
I have a few questions about this configuration.

1. Will I be able to get 24-bit/192kHz sound on the Yamaha via HDMI?
  2. Would I get better quality sound if I connected via USB to a decent Roon ready DAC?
  3. Can you think of any other reasons NOT to use HDMI in this setup?

Thank you,
Mr Sparky

Hi Mr Sparky,
running also an CX-A5200 my short answer is:

1. yes (max setting is 32/192)
  2. not really because of HDMI/USB - SQ depends much more on the quality of the DAC
  3. no

Trust your ears :headphones:
Stefan

Thank you Stefan. I’m an “old school” audio guy from the 70’s. Streaming audion is quite new to me so I certainly have a lot of questions.
Do you use your CX-A5200 for streaming? If so, how do you have it configured (what other components do you use?

Thank you in advance,
Mr Sparky

Me too - “old school” but “old’s cool” :slight_smile:
I don’t stream but if, via ROON would be my choice . Prefer to own my music (rip my CD’s or download HiRes). Technology changed too often since the early 80’s. I’ve been constructing speakers for over 40 years and use currently an MX-A5000 for flexible bi-amping. Headphone is a modified Audeze LCD-X and several DAC/Headphone-Amp’s: GraceDesign m920 - Topping D90/A90 - NATIV Vita+Wave+Pulse.
…and some Vintage stuff :slight_smile:

Stefan,
I promise to give you credit for “old’s cool” if/when I use it in the future. :grin:

Anyone else have any thoughts on streaming via USB & DAC vs streaming via HDMI from Roon Nucleus?

Thanks
MrSparky

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.