Roon Offered room Correction

How does one try it?
Does it work?

Thanks!

Hi,
What exactly to try? You can buy a calibrated microphone and do it yourself or you can pay someone. After you do this you will have some files to load in to the roon convolution. Search in to this forum and you will find tutorials or links to other people that have such professional services. The mic it is a good investment. I was sceptical until I tried, still not 100% happy with my own results but the improvement is noticeable

This (Roon-Inclusive) Room Correction is the next big step they need to take. And, I know, Roon allows for this to some extent already, but the process is not convenient with most user’s abilities or desires. I know people say Dirac is incompatible with Roon’s format (at least as far as ROCK and Nucleus go), but I bet if there is enough will, there may be a way. Or, am I totally off-base?

2 Likes

Nope, you are not.

I do not know Dirac and did not research on it. I agree that the solutions already implemented are not a click away but flexible enough that with some reaserch can provide good improvements (at least for me).

1 Like

That’s why services like HAF exist.

2 Likes

An easy starting point if you have an iPhone / iPad is HouseCurve.

I added correction to my non critical zones (shower / bedroom / kitchen) in a morning. It definitely helped in these spaces.

4 Likes

You can get a separate Dirac unit to add room correction. I use a MiniDSP unit for my main room. You do need to measure with a calibrated mic yourself . It’s kind of fun, but I keep getting told I have a strange idea of fun.

Edit here’s a link for reference, but they’ve gone up a lot.

2 Likes

To respond to your thread title: Roon does NOT offer room correction.
What Roon offers is the ability to run convolution filters created in other apps (like Audiolense, Acourate, Focus Fidelity, HouseCurve etc…) or filters made by online services like HAF or AccurateSound.
One can also use (the free) REW to measure in-room frequency response of speakers and use the parametric equaliser in Roon to apply amplitude correction. REW can also export this as a convolution filter, but it’s still only frequency response correction.

3 Likes

Roon doesn’t have anything built in to take measurement or automatically create correction filters. So you first need to create those in an external app and then import them into Roon.

I’d second Greg’s recommendation of starting with a free / low cost app like HouseCurve. That will give you a good / easy overview of the general process steps.

Then once you have a better understand of the process & steps involved, you can decide if you want or need to invest (either time or money) in a proper measurement microphone or more advanced measurement software. It may well be that a simple, fairly user friendly / intuitive app like HouseCurve is as good as you need or as complex as you want to go.

6 Likes

While it’s not quite the same thing, headphone correction is a good way of getting to know the DSP ropes. There’s pre-built filters for loads of models so you can play with loading them up and have a listen with your favorite cans.

This thread has a lot more details:

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. If I would have to make a priority list of things Roon should add, room correction in the software would be right at the top.

4 Likes