ROON on Lenovo Tab M8 HD

Just picked one of these up, to run dedicated for ROON. Can seem to get it to rotate, into Landscape.

Thanks

Hi @Chris_Lehner. I canā€™t find the official word on this. I believe that the screen size is too small to support the rotation. In effect itā€™s treated like a phone screen. I seem to remember you need a large iPad screen for this to work.

Sorry; itā€™s actually a Smart Tab M8ā€¦but same size.

If thatā€™s the reason, itā€™s a real heartbreaker. I bought it, JUST for that.

Actuallyā€¦I did a Google; looks like 8" and above should be good.

Over apps on it, auto-rotate; so I guess thatā€™s what I was asking. Is there a setting in ROON that enables it? I looked; LOTS of optionsā€¦so that one didnā€™t jump out at me.

Ah; this might help. Especially since it also relates to a Lenovo unit.

I have the M10 - not good news from me, sorry. Not the screen - it is very hit/miss with Roon, sometimes connects, sometimes takes ages, sometimes wonā€™t at all

I have an iPad Air - no problem at all. Also annoying for me - since I specifically got this for my second system - now I regularly have to run downstairs to get the iPad :neutral_face:

On the up side, it works much better for controlling Alexa and my other gadgets, no idea why

Regards
Andy

OK, wellā€¦

based on this thread Tablet stuck in phone mode [SOLVED: bad DPI from manufacturer] I feel fairly certain Iā€™ve made the correct steps, to set my DPI to 160. But DisplayInfo still has it listed at 189.

While I didnā€™t check it beforeā€¦only after, once ROON still wouldnā€™t go into Landscape; I say I feel confident my adb shell wm density "160ā€ && adb reboot command workedā€¦because the Tab did reboot. Just didnā€™t set DPI to 160.

Another thing Iā€™m noticingā€¦and man, I didnā€™t expect a science project; but DisplayInfo lists the ā€˜device classā€™ā€¦as Smartphone. $99, on sale for $59; I guess you get what you pay forā€¦but I would have thought, it could run a single app. (FTRā€¦I also think ROON could be a bit more flexible).

To make matters worseā€¦I just found out, Auralic Lightning DS (the direct controller for my unit); isnā€™t supported for Android anymore. Iā€™m wondering how much to chase thisā€¦considering Andy saying, even the M10ā€¦which is plenty big enoughā€¦is flaky :roll_eyes:

I paid very little for mine (~GBP50/US$60) including the Alexa dock, they were on sale, Lenovo (Iā€™m a long-time Lenovo Carbon X1 fan), must be a bargain!

Caveat Emptor

Still, on the upside, itā€™s fine as a general browsing tablet and I didnā€™t need a mortgage :grinning:

Try this instead:
adb shell wm density 160 && adb reboot

^Damn; I was hoping that would work. No bueno

This is oddā€¦changing the ppi did work for me (Lenovo M8 FHD - 8", 1900*1200) using these instructions:

BTW, for a 1280*800 8" tablet, the native resolution is 189 ppi - thatā€™s what I would set it to.

Wellā€¦maybe thatā€™s why itā€™s working for you? As I mentionedā€¦I didnā€™t check it beforehand; so I donā€™t know if it was always 189, and therefore my changes havenā€™t made a difference. Orā€¦if itā€™s not letting me go below 189 for some reason; becauseā€¦that is where Iā€™m at.

But I still canā€™t get ROON to Landscape.

Iā€™ll look at your thread. (oh; thatā€™s what I used)

Yeah; I tried going up. Also didnā€™t move off 189. My debug isnā€™t working (even though it reboots, and runs without an error in the command window).

Hmmm :thinking:

^Do I need to have my drivers, any place in particular??

I also just did a ā€œsize resetā€. Still 189; so I think thatā€™s how it came, and what Iā€™ve doneā€¦hasnā€™t moved the needle a bit.

But, Rolfā€¦are you saying you get Tablet Display on ROON, at 189?

Interesting. I did just noticeā€¦that in DisplayInfo, ā€˜device classā€™ changed from Smartphone to Tablet.

SUCCESS!

Tricky stuff, this. Soā€¦with DisplayInfo still saying 189 (but encouraged by the change, from Device = Smartphone to Tablet); I thought it might have to do with some of the Tablet settings themselves.

Went into Settings > Display > Display Size: Custom (160) :grin:

Opened ROON; lovely! Soā€¦$59, some Google-Fu, and some elbow-grease; gets 'er done.

1 Like

Handsome

Sorry for going off topic a bit - but I kept getting that ā€˜TIDAL Login failedā€™ flag a couple of weeks ago

It seems to have fixed itself, but is there something to do - in case it comes back?

Log back in? LOL

I havenā€™t been using my ROON in a minute; but my recollection, is that itā€™ll drop your saved log-ins from time to timeā€¦as do most apps.