Roon on NAS Experience Index: 2024

Welcome to what I hope is the first in a series of threads on the Roon Forums, which was inspired by a nudge from @arindal. Many of us on the forums use Roon on a NAS with great success (last year, I started a long thread about my own experience). Despite much of what you might read online (even in these forums), Roon works incredibly well on a well-spec’d NAS, and is officially supported, so long as one is not using Roon in a Docker container.

Per @arindal’s suggestion, this is the beginning of a discussion about people’s shared experiences running Roon on a NAS. In the spirit of other volunteer-generated threads on here like “What are you listening to” and “What’s rocking you tonight,” I propose that this thread be re-created once a year with fresh details to make thread-reading more manageable. Please note that this is not geared toward those interested in using a NAS merely for music storage, whether primary or backup. It is for those running their entire Roon “stack” on a NAS.

What I propose is that people copy/paste the following template to share what I think are all the relevant details that contribute to one’s overall experience. Here it is, and thank you in advance to those of you who are willing to share your experiences! I will endeavor to make my next post the first example if I can get the timing right… :smiley:

Summary: Brand - Model - Experience Rating

Brand

Model

NAS OS Version

Total Installed RAM

Roon on NAS Method (e.g., Roon on NAS {@crieke} | Docker Container (Unsupported) | Other)

Main Drives: Brand

Main Drives: Model

Main Drives: Quantity

Main Drives: RAID Configuration

Roon DB Drive: Brand

Roon DB Drive: Model

Roon DB Drive: Size

Roon DB Drive: Connection Method (e.g., Main Board, USB3, eSATA)

Local Area Network Connection Method

Number of Local Tracks

Total Size of Locally Stored Music

Number of Streaming Service Tracks

Geography

Dedicated to music use? (Yes/No)

Using in Parallel with NAS Vendor Music Solution (e.g., Synology Audio Station, QNAP Music Station, etc.?) (Yes/No)

Using ARC? (Yes/No)

Using DSP? (Yes/No)

Typical Number of Simultaneously Used Playback Zones

Overall Rating

(****: Everything flawless)

(***: A few flaws, but mostly OK)

(**: Just about worth it, but could be better)

(*: Unacceptable)

Any Notes People Should Know

3 Likes

Summary: Synology - DS1522+ - ****

Brand

Synology

Model

DS1522+

NAS OS Version

DSM 7.2.1

Total Installed RAM

16GB

Roon on NAS Method (e.g., Roon on NAS {@crieke} | Docker Container (Unsupported) | Other)

@crieke Roon on NAS for Synology DSM 7

Western Digital

WD20EFRX-68EUZN0

Synology Hybrid RAID 2

SanDisk

SDSSH3

256GB

Main Board

2 gbps ethernet bond (802.3ad LACP using a managed switch)

Number of Local Tracks

2.3TB

Geography

Eastern United States

Yes

Using in Parallel with NAS Vendor Music Solution (e.g., Synology Audio Station, QNAP Music Station, etc.?) (Yes/No)

Yes

Using ARC? (Yes/No)

Yes

Using DSP? (Yes/No)

Sometimes, but usually not.

1-3

Overall Rating

More info, see A Roon on (Synology) NAS Primer

2 Likes

Brand
Synology
Model
DS1522+
NAS OS Version
DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 5
Total Installed RAM
24GB
Roon on NAS
Mixed
Mixed
SHR
On main drives
On main drives
n/a
main board
1GB Ethernet
Number of Local Tracks
~55K
1.16TB
1, just for fun
Geography
Central US
No
No
Using ARC? (Yes/No)
Yes
Overall Rating
I do not bother with dedicating a separate SSD drive for the Roon DB. It sits on the main volume (in a separate share) and instead I have an oversized R/W SSD cache. End result is the same – all of Roon’s DB is on solid stater storage (cache hit rate is 99%+) but that way other applications are also accelerated.

1 Like

This has been working great for over a year now. If I had it to do over again I would probably get the 922+ with 4 drive bays and use 4TB SSD drives. The NAS sits in the closet in the room where I listen to music and I can hear the faint noise of the hard drives when it’s quiet. Not a problem when music is playing though.

2 Likes

Excellent idea! Will try to give some recommendations for different QNAP models over time as I have been trying several or setting them up for other people.

Brand
QNAP

Model
HS-264 SilentNas

NAS OS Version
QTS 5.1.5

Total Installed RAM
8GB

Roon on NAS Method
Early Access download

WD

WD140EFGX Red Plus

RAID1 mirrored

SanDisc

Extreme Pro

128GB

USB3.2

1GbE wired Ethernet

Number of Local Tracks
approx. 122,000 (almost half of this number I keep disabled most of the time)

15.5TB (of which 4TB are usually inactive external drives)

Geography
Central Europe

No

No

Using ARC? (Yes/No)
Yes

Overall Rating

I opted for this SilentNas unit as it was the only fanless Qnap model hosting my existing 3.5" HDD while delivering decent CPU performance for roon. Was positivily surprised by its build quality and how rigid aluminum frames and enclosure are damping the two 14TB spinning discs so they are considerably quieter than in other NAS models (although head repositioning is distantly audible). Only downside: Lack of M.2 slots or additional bays for an SSD if you run spinning discs in both bays.

2 Likes

Per an offline suggestion from @Simon_Arnold3 I added a couple of other fields to my original template and my answer:

Using DSP? (Yes/No)

Can’t edit mine anymore, but:

DP - yes (only convolution filters and bitrate conversion if playing to 24/192 limited BluSound devices, as necessary).

Zones – one or two simultaneous.

Sample performance:

Certainly can handle a few more zones with any reasonable resolution…

1 Like

I think if you’re planning on using the DSP functions fairly heavily or you have lots of zones then the NAS may not be the best solution.

Why not? Of course the NAS should be equipped accordingly in terms of CPU and RAM…

1 Like

That’s true. If the NAS has sufficient CPU power and RAM it should be no problem. Most NAS systems I’ve seen use a fairly light-weight CPU though.

1 Like

The latest models are increasingly up to the task, in my experience. Music processing is not all that terribly difficult compared to, say, 4K or 8K video or videogaming…

1 Like

I would agree if we were talking about either really entry-level or very outdated models. A majority of these is not meant for an application like roon or the CPU does not support it.

If we define ´light-weight CPU´ as what you typically get in an average consumer-grade model in last 5 years, situation is different. If you would be willing to pay 300 or 400 bucks in recent years, you would typically end up with a dualcore-equipped 2-bay-NAS from one of the big 3 manufacturers. Have seen CPUs like Intel’s Celeron J4025, N4505 and alike. If your library is not super big, let us say 30,000 tracks, and you do not expect complex multi-zone streaming, one can be pretty happy with such a ´light-weight´ CPU. Was using one of these for years. Maybe not super snappy but fine.

Add 100 bucks to the budget and you get a NAS which is CPU-wise on par with a Nucleus One or better (AMD R1600, Celeron N5095 and similar). Really do not understand which limitations in terms of DSP, crosscoding and multi-zone people prescribe to these devices. Mine runs just fine:

Or DSD-upsampling:

You can do this from a modern NAS on 3 zones simultaneously with the processing speed factor not even moving. And DSD-to-DSD256 upsampling including several PEQs is a pretty complex and computing-intense operation.

What else would you expect in a home environment?

1 Like

Brand: Synology

Model: RS1221+ (network-depth, rackmounted)

NAS OS Version: 7.2.1

Total Installed RAM: 32GB

Roon on NAS Method: Docker using Synology’s Container Manager.

Main Drives: Brand: Seagate

Main Drives: Model: IronWolf 12TB

Main Drives: Quantity: 4. Two spares on hand, not installed - don’t need them spinning unused.

Main Drives: RAID Configuration: SHR with two-drive tolerance

Roon DB Drive: Brand: Runs on the primary storage pool.

Cache: 2 x Synology SAT5200-480G as RAID 1 (Read-Write)

Local Area Network Connection Method: Wired. 3 of 4 Synology network interfaces in use - each for a vlan.

Number of Local Tracks: 7,100 local FLAC tracks

Dedicated to music use? (Yes/No): No. Does duty as file server (Syncthing in a container, SMB), and runs a number of other containers for Roon duties (DeepHarmony, udp-proxy-2020) and non-Roon (homepage, scrypted, etc.) duties

Using in Parallel with NAS Vendor Music Solution (e.g., Synology Audio Station, QNAP Music Station, etc.?) (Yes/No): No

Using ARC? (Yes/No): Yes

Using DSP? (Yes/No): Yes. Limited (e.g., convolution)

Typical Number of Simultaneously Used Playback Zones: Typically no more than 2 or 3

Overall Rating: Highly recommend the NAS device and the Docker approach to those with the necessary skills

Any Notes People Should Know: RoonOnNAS broke for quite a while when DSM 7 was released. That’s when I moved to Docker and I haven’t looked back. RoonOnNAS requires the accounts and permissions to be set on the NAS - using Docker eliminates the need for that.

2 Likes

Brand
QNAP

Model
TS-453D 4-Bays Celeron J4125 CPU 4-core/4-thread

NAS OS Version
QTS 5.1.7.2770

Total Installed RAM
8GB

Roon on NAS Method
Roon on NAS by crieke (Bless you, Christopher)

WD Ultrastar

WUH721414ALE6L4 - 14TB drives

4 (using 3, 4th is spare, ready when a drive fails)

RAID5

Dual 1TB SSDs: Samsung, Crucial

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus, Crucial P3 1TB SSD

1TB

SSDs installed on PCIe adapter on M.2 slot on main board

1GbE wired Ethernet

Number of Local Tracks
165,000 (140k FLAC and 25k MP3)

15.5TB (of which 4TB are usually inactive external drives)

Geography
United States, West Coast

No

No

Using ARC? (Yes/No)
No

Using DSP? (Yes/No)
No

Usually just 1 but don’t notice any issues with 2

Overall Rating

Keep this 4-bay unit in the adjoining doorless closet and hardly notice any sound. Store music and movies on the NAS. Use Roon as my primary music player and Plex as my movie player. Very happy with the Roon performance particularly after 2024 updates which have improved searching across my music library. So everything on the QNAP – Roon & Roon DB on the SSDs and the music on the hard drives. Accessed through remotes on PC’s, iPads and Android phones and tablets.

Been running everything for almost 3 years. No NAS or Hard Disk issues. Have had two Samsung SSD drives fail so am trying Crucial SSD. With the dual SSDs, Roon keeps running unless both SSDs were to fail at the same time.

1 Like

That’s astonishing as your library is pretty huge at 165k tracks and the single-thread performance of your machine is rather on the light-weight side (not saying it is a bad one but many people usually describe these as below the minimum specs).

Would you describe the performance as snappy, reactive, immediate when clicking on an album or artist view or starting a stream please? If yes, I would be interested in finding the reason it works so well. Maybe structure of the local library or fast SSD access for the database get more important with growing number of tracks.

Summary: QNAP - TS-h886 - Experience Rating

Brand
QNAP

Model
TS-h886
NAS OS Version
QuTS hero h5.1.7.2770
Total Installed RAM
16GB
Roon on NAS for QNAP
Samsung
SSD 870 EVO 2TB
Mirror
Samsung
SSD 870 EVO 2TB
20GB
Main Board
3 gbps ethernet bond (802.3ad LACP using managed switch)
Number of Local Tracks
1.8TB
Geography
Northern UK
No
No
Using ARC? (Yes/No)
Yes
Using DSP? (Yes/No)
Rarely
1-3
Overall Rating
It’s a great option that lives in the cellar out of site of my lovely wife

1 Like

Guess I am underpowered when I look at the Nucleus specs (i3, i7 vs my Celeron)
but it is plenty quick. Again I’m exclusively playing from my library - had Tidal for awhile
and streamed from it but no longer. When I execute a search (not sure whether its
working from Internet or my local DB) it generally is back within 5 seconds or less.
An example, searching for Coleman in 5 seconds brought back all the artists - Hawkins,
Ornette, George, Ira, Brandon, Steve and their albums. Selecting an obscure Ornette
Coleman album had it ready to go in say two seconds and clicking play on the first track
started playing it in one second. The NAS is not juggling other tasks, it’s primarily playing
music so maybe that and the SSD for the DB is responsible.
Not doing anything fancy in structuring my library:
- Defined my hard disks as a storage pool with 2 volumes, one of which is devoted to media
- Within that are two shared folders, one for FLAC and one for MP3.
- Within those are a folder for each artist
- Within that are the albums of that artist
- Within each album are the tracks of that album, each which are tagged with the metadata for the track.
All runs smoothly and snappy enough whether playing through Sonos speakers, PC speakers or stereo speakers. Thanks

If it is plenty quick, it is by definition not underpowered. If your library is bigger, as you have been writing, but not overly complicated in terms of references and meta texts to search even a lightweight or fairly outdated Celeron should do the job.

I personally would maybe not perceive it as quick if search results on a regular base take 5 seconds. I like snappy UI and most of searches are appearing instantly or within 0.5secs. My experience is that compiling compositions lists and portraits of composers who are having a lot of references is one of the tasks really putting stress on the CPU.

You are mentioning lots of Jazz artists in your library. Maybe that’s a key to running a big library on a machine which is not particularly meant for that. The number of different references per artist or per album in Jazz is just not as high and many artists contribute either a lot of albums and compositions or primary artist and composer are the same in a lot of cases. So in any case for a roon core there is simply not such a mass of metatexts, references and files to search compared to classical music or pop with a zillion of different artists and texts behind them.

My folder structure, storage pool management and total memory consumption is pretty much the same as yours but a slightly less powerful Celeron was running out of capacity before I reached 100,000 tracks. I wonder if that mainly has to do with the number of internal references (lots of classical music as well as rock, pop, Jazz, soundtracks) or the music files themselves. I noticed that every time I migrate track- or reference-heavy albums such as operas and multi-disc boxsets as well as DSD files away from roon´s watched folders, it gets instantly quicker and more reactive.

Summary: QNAP - TS-451A - ****

Brand

QNAP

Model

TS-451A

NAS OS Version

QTS 5.1.7

Total Installed RAM

8 GB

@crieke Roon on NAS for QNAP

SAmsung

SSD 870 EVO 2TB

RAID5

same volume as data

see above

6TB

SATA

1 GBit Ethernet wired

Number of Local Tracks

1.6TB

1 (Qobuz)

Geography

Central Europe

Yes

Yes

Using ARC? (Yes/No)

Yes, but rarely

Using DSP? (Yes/No)

No

Overall Rating

The performance is smooth without any problems

1 Like

Brand
Synology
Model
DS920+
NAS OS Version
DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 5
Total Installed RAM
20GB
Roon on NAS
Mixed
Mixed
SHR
On main drives
On main drives
8T
main board
1GB Ethernet
Number of Local Tracks
~55K
2TB
1, just for fun
Geography
china Beijing
No
No
Using ARC? (Yes/No)
Yes
Overall Rating
I do not bother with dedicating a separate SSD drive for the Roon DB. It sits on the main volume (in a separate share) and instead I have an oversized R/W SSD cache. End result is the same – all of Roon’s DB is on solid stater storage (cache hit rate is 99%+) but that way other applications are also accelerated.

1 Like