Roon on Windows 10 x64: How to start Roon Core automatically without logging in to Windows

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Pro x64
Roon version 1.7 (build 571) stable (64bit)
I installed the combined Roon Core/Control/Output package on this PC

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

n/a

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

a few SqueezeBox3 players, connected with wired/ethernet

Description Of Issue

thanks for a fantastic product! i’ve been really enjoying trying it this week as a long time SlimDevices/SqueezeBox/Logitech Media Server user for many years. i am happily streaming music from my Roon Core to my SqueezeBox Roon Outputs, using Android and Apple Control devices

i am writing to enquire about one thing i hope to be able to do, and cannot seem to find out how to, which is that i don’t want to have to be logged into the Windows OS on my Roon Core PC in order to be able to remotely play music from my Android/iPhone Control devices to my SqueezeBoxes

i wish to start Roon core automatically upon Windows/system startup, but not at Windows login

please let me know if/how this is possible?

i wish to do this without use of a workaround of the type that automatically enters my Windows account username and password to log in to my windows account for me each time the machine boots. eg is it possible to run Roon as a service? please and thank you

maybe some answers here…search is your friend

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=roon%20as%20a%20windows%20service

Why Core natively is not a service?
Login user is UNSAFE.

yes this was my thought too

thank you wizardofoz

to anyone reading this, i have found the solution i sought for a Roon Core on a Windows 10 Pro PC that runs independently of whether or not i log in to the Windows desktop or not

1. install Roon Server. this will setup the Core and Output on your PC (this Roon Core can now be configured from any Roon Control system on your network)
  2. in Windows, launch Roon Server. when you see the icon in your system tray, right click on it and select to enable the only option in the context menu that appears which is “Launch at startup?”
  3. on the same PC, having ensured that your Core/Server is running, now install the package simply called “Roon” for Windows. decline the option to create a new Core and instead connect to the existing Core/Server you previously installed on the same machine (this step is adding the Control component to your isntallation. you can now run “Roon” from your Start menu to launch the client front-end which will also allow you to configure the server)

with the option that you set above, to start the Roon server whenever the system boots, you will not have to login to Windows to start your Roon core. you can connect to your Roon core from your Remote/Control devices (for me this is Android and Apple phones) to play music to your output devices and to configure the server. if you so wish to run the application called “Roon” on the same machine you can do so and it will act as a Remote/Control/Client just as your other Remote devices do

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.