Roon on Windows Server 2012R2 Foundation

After the installation of the Roon-core software I’m receiving a message about Codecs. I tried to install them, but the Media Pack seems not to work on this Server version. Is this true?

This media pack works for 2012R2.

Supported Operating System for wsemp.exe patch

Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard or Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter with the Windows Server Essentials Experience server role enabled

I have Windows 2012 R2 Foundation and this pack doesn’t work on this OS. When i install the media pack I 'm getting a message that this pack cannot ne installed on this OS.

Ah, my apologies. I haven’t seen the Foundation version before. I thought you were referring to Server as the foundation OS in your system :flushed: !

I can’t see any reference to Foundation in a streaming media role in this description of roles and features.

Foundation has no upgrade path and doesn’t support Windows Server Update Services. Microsoft doesn’t appear to supply any media pack for Foundation.

This KB Page on installing codecs doesn’t set out the required codecs, but they would include all codecs required for supported file formats.

Unless you are able to separately install the required codecs it doesn’t look like Roon will run in Foundation.

Let’s ask @eric or @vova if they know of any alternative way to load the required codecs into Foundation.

Hey @P_Postma – we can do some additional research on this, but note that while we do some in-house testing on Server 2012 R2, I don’t know that we’ve ever tested the Foundation version, and as far as I can recall we haven’t heard any support requests about it either, up until now.

Looking at Server 2012 Wikipedia page, it seems that this is an OEM-only version of Server 2012 that you should only use “if you have at least some in-company IT staff”.

Roon requires basic media codecs be in place and, while we’ll do some research on what’s possible here, if the Media Pack doesn’t work on the Foundation version it may not be possible to run Roon on that operating system.