Roon open on more than one computer causes hanging/flashing/freezing/connection issues

Roon Core Machine

2012 Mac mini
Catalina 10.15.7
headless core

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Core hardwired via ethernet, controlled by macbook air/pro via wifi

Connected Audio Devices

various raspberry pi endpoints via ethernet, a few chromecast audio dongles

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I have a couple of mac laptops in the house, and if I forget that I have roon open on one, and open it on the other, it’s essentially unusable. Screen hangs and the content on the page flashes. Can’t find the core, etc… Very strange.

If I close the roon app on the other laptop, all ugliness goes away and things work just fine.

Been this way for a while (for months, and over many builds), but I’ve worked around it by just making sure I close roon on the first laptop before opening it on the second machine.

Having roon remote open on more than one iOS device doesn’t seem to cause any problems.

Anyway, not a show stopper by any stretch, but just wondering if others have seen this behavior, or if it’s a known issue.

Hi Chris, I use an iMac and a Macbook Pro as Remotes, and have usually Roon open on both devices. Never seen a problem as you describe it.

2 Likes

Hello Chris,
I had this sort of behavior when I made a second laptop as Roon remote by cloning the first one, instead of a proper installation from scratch and reconfiguring my preferences by hand.

Such cloning was the easy way because my laptop as Roon remote is under Linux and I have a Wine directory containing a complete Windows + Roon.
Easy, but it doesn’t work : flashes, disconnect, …
After a proper installation of Roon (more time consuming), all was ok

I don’t know MacOs well, but perhaps a similar cloning is possible (no “registry” ala Windows) and you took that way ?

1 Like

interesting… i don’t think I cloned the second one, but i certainly might have migrated a bunch of the stuff over, including apps.

I’ll delete the roon app on the newer laptop and re-install it, and see if that does anything!

Ok, wow, that seems to be the ticket.

Roonserver must be getting confused, thinking the two instances open are the same ones.

So on the newer mac, I uninstalled roon (moved roon folder from applications and roon folder from user library into the trash) and re-downloaded and reinstalled.

So far so good! THANK YOU!

:+1:

1 Like

Good ! Your problem was the same as mine, and the solution works for both of us.

While investigating, I saw (in this forum, or in the Roon knowledge base) that during the normal installation process, a unique identifier is generated for the Remote, and stored somewhere in an unknown file. So any copying of the app installed directory is at risk of duplicated this unique identifier (which is never good in the computer world).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.