Roon, OpenGL 3.0 and appropriate PC to run the Core

I’m wondering if I can win the prize for the most threads started without actually having even started the free trial yet. There isn’t one? Oh well, if you’re sure.

So I’ve now built and am testing the upgraded Win10 64 bit PC on which I intend to run the Core, with no other duties and always on. A 4th gen low wattage i5 CPU with 16 GB of RAM and an 80 GB M2 SSD. It will not be headless, but will normally be used only for running the Core.

It is in the server room (aka cupboard under the stairs) next to the switch and the NAS with all the music on it.

I will load the Endpoint on the similar PC in the music room which feeds the USB DAC, and use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5" to control it.

As the Core PC is not headless, I intend to load the full Roon all in one on it, but I am bothered about the stricture that it must support the OpenGL 3.0 package. I have tried Googling about this, but the results are not clear.

The PC will have no video card or driver on it except Intel HD Graphics 4600.

Will it work and would I need to install anything else to make it work?

Curious, why not just load Roonserver? Thats what I did on my headless Server Essentials R2 machine. I am using both an i3 dual core laptop and Dell 7840 8" tablet to control everything.

Simply because I want to be able to use the PC there for occasional internet access and diagnostics, so since it is not headless it seems to make sense to be able to access Roon there as well.

I am just hoping for confirmation that Intel HD 4600 will handle the graphics requirements.

Hi Simon,

A quick Google tells me that the Intel HD Graphics 4600 supports OpenGL 3 (and OpenGL 4) so your good to run Roon on it.

However, I would strongly recommend first installing Roon Server and then additionally Roon (running as a remote) to control Roon Server.

This will enable you to close Roon (the GUI), leaving Roon Server (the Core) in the background servicing your music requirements.

It sounds like your ready to start the trial and install the software, enjoy.

So let me understand this. It’s in a cupboard under the stairs, and you want to squat in there and run the Roon UI directly on it? Well, to each his own, I suppose.

Personally, I would run Roon Server on it, and control Roon from a remote device. That’s what I do with my Intel NUC 6i3SYH that is locked away in the meter cupboard. When I need to have internet access or run diagnostics on it, then I open up a Remote Desktop session to it from any of my PCs and tablets. The only proviso for this is that it runs Windows 10 Pro, rather than Home.

Just a comment on using a big old noisy PC just to use as an end-point to feed a USB dac presumably in your listening space. For about £40 just get a RPi and load it up with Roon Bridge and have that feed your DAC.

Seem to be getting a bit off the point here. :confused:

It is really a room under the stairs, permanently air conditioned and forming the data hub of the house. I have other reasons for wanting to have the use of a computer with a screen in there occasionally, and do not want to be reliant on a tablet’s soft keyboard if I find I need to do a lot of work on Roon. There are times when a proper keyboard and at least a trackball are better to use.

I am sure though that I will solely control Roon from a tablet when playing music.

The only way possible to get a noise from either PC is to press the power button, which makes a small click, or hit it with a hammer. They are entirely noiseless. Having the Roon core on a noiseless PC is obviously unnecessary, but it was the only unused PC available, and I didn’t want to keep any of the other PCs on all the time. It is mainly a spare for the HiFi one, just in case, but should do fine for the core in the meantime.

They are also rather new and the size of a paperback book. So not big, not old and not noisy!

Unfortunately I only have W10 Home so no Remote Desktop which is a real pain, so that perfectly reasonable solution is not available.

Confirmation that the graphics program will be no problem is much appreciated, and I respect the better choice than mine of search terms in google.

So unless I am still missing a critical point, there doesn’t actually seem to be a downside of running full Roon as the Core on the PC in the server room, but normally leaving it running with the monitor there turned off, and using a tablet as the controller, and another PC as the endpoint for the big rig.

All things being equal, and subject to any last minute warnings, I will start my trial with that arrangement tomorrow.

Thanks to all for advice and taking the time to comment.

No downside, but missing the upside that @Carl suggested. Run RoonServer but also install Roon on the same machine.

When you’re not on the PC in your little Harry Potter room it will run RoonServer headless quite merrily and be a little snappier to your other remotes. When you want to run Roon as remote on the same machine you can do so.

well, RoonServer can be set to auto-start after a reboot. Which since you are running MS Win 10 Home can happen anytime MS decides to force an update down as Home has no way to stop or defer them.

And really, why are you having your PC using its graphics adapter full time creating heat & using extra power. Its not like turning the monitor off is stopping the program from generating the graphics and having the GPU render it.

OK so I registered and it is now running, after Windows Firewall initially tried to rain on my parade, and sounding great. I loaded it as recommended, and thank you again for the advice.

Lots more questions likely to come, but just absorbing and enjoying for now.

But what is the stuff about Harry Potter? I really don’t understand what is being got at there.

a room under the stairs…where HP lived.

Well you learn something every day :relaxed:

1 Like