Roon & OPPO HA-2 DAC not recognizing Native DSD256

Continuing the discussion from Roon and Oppo HA-2 DAC not recognizing DSD256 in native mode:

I have an OPPO HA-2 SE which is Native DSD 256 capable. As the original thread indicates, the HA-2 is no longer in production… I am wondering if Roon can revive this thread and look into adding the capability for Native DSD 256 playback to work… At present I am limited to DoP with DSD 128 as the MAX option… :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Please see Roon and Oppo HA-2 DAC not recognizing DSD256 in native mode - #11 by Sevenfeet for stats from HQPLayer for the HA-2’s DSD capability.

Looks like you’re on a Mac. This might be the limitation of the OS itself - I think. Roon might not be able to do anything about it.

Also i believe that if you are sending DSD over PCM there is some protocol encapsulation happening that needs to use some of the bits space of the frame . Thus lowering the DSD bitrate itself to accommodate the DoP encapsulation.

Yes, Roon does work with native DSD 256 on the Oppo HA-2…I’m playing it now in fact. Yes, your problem is most likely what you are playing it through. Macs cannot do DSD except through DoP. I solved my problem by getting a RaspberryPi4 and running RoPieee on it. It has a Roon Bridge on it that can speak to the Oppo HA-2 via native DSD.

Thanks for your reply. I’m hoping MAC OS isn’t the issue… DoP does limit to 128 due to the encapsulation to my understanding as well. Whereas if Native DSD can be used you can play at full Native DSD 256

Arrgggg, so it’s a MAC issue then…? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Yes, Mac only uses DoP.

Yes I can also play DSD on my Windows PC. This DAC is what I was using when I was introduced to Roon. Roon took it to another level and allowed the full potential of this DAC. Have upgraded to newer DACs but I never will part with it.

–MD

Thanks for confirming. Sigh… c’mon Mac! :roll_eyes:

So it looks like it’s Windows for the win on this one… :wink:

1 Like

A Linux based NAA solves the problem too.

I don’t think the OP is using HQPlayer, unless I missed it.

That’s correct. This scenario with the OPPO HA-2 involves Roon on my MacBook…

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.