Roon Optimized Core Kit (previously reported as Roon OS)

It will arrive when it arrives, wisely no date has been promised.

Russ

i guess by the time it’s released my NUC that I bought specifically for ROCK will be outdated … this has been teased for nearly 8 months now.

1 Like

It’s always better to buy stuff when you actually need it.

1 Like

That NUC is my core now but running linux io ROCK. So it’s already on 24/7.
Now the linux/tidal bug is fixed in 1.3 I don’t need ROCK anymore… I just want it to simplify things

As a project manager that’s my worst nightmare…

You ask a developer when something will be finished…“oh, a couple of weeks”. You ask a week later for an update “oh, a couple of weeks”… You look for opportunities to move developer off your project.

You use your contingency… I’ll build it with Windows.

2 Likes

Right First Time. Not the latest fad in business practice, but one worth remembering.

…and a very difficult and time/money consuming endeavor I would say.
It may be imperative pursuing “Right First Time/Zero Defects” in the medical, pharmaceutical and many other “life risking” industries, but utterly unnecessary on media software development.
Roon Labs, please give us a good enough version of ROCK, we are used to be beta testers. I am pretty sure that most of the in-the-wild bugs will be found in no time. Sophisticated features can be added slowly later on.

1 Like

Surely one of the appeals of ROCK is the relative simplicity of the nuc build and os install so to release it with ‘bugs’ that will be sorted out in due course would be far from ideal and tarnish the ROCK product.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression, so I would rather it is as right as possible when it is released.

Russ

4 Likes

I totally agree with you on principle but in reality still have not seen a “bug free” media software or of any other kind for that matter. No even those with a long versioning history are.

1 Like

I agree but typically sw is released and then a bug identified which is different to sw released with known bugs.

Russ

While ROCK will be an ideal for some it’s is not a silver bullet. If you need DSP features the ROCK platform maybe be won’t cut it, or at least the bulk of the NUC platforms will not step up to higher end setups demands.

I would love to run ROCK but I think I will find that my i7-7700 fanless W10pro will cope much better with the DSP demands that I will be wanting than any current NUC setup.Those running HQP may well find ROCK adequate for their setups. Everyone will need to determine where they sit in terms of the ROCK capability and if it will meet their needs…for a baseline setup it is a good place to start when you have nothing else in place IMHO.

I have the luxury of being geek enough to want to try it, and will no doubt do so once the harwdware specs are cast for a committed buy spec, but with my investment in my fanless Win10pro rig it might not cut the mustard for DSD512 upsampling which is where I plan to be from here on in.

Do you know, I never knew that. But I work in an environment where when you get it wrong, people might die (:scream:) so for obvious reason we have always pushed the right first time principle.

I agree that even the Skull Canyon NUC may not cut it for DSD512, but I’m thinking for a lot of folks, an i5 or i7 NUC running ROCK will be able to address their DSP needs. It’ll be up to the early adopters to test the limits of what ROCK can do with various NUC hardware.

Who says that it will not run on something like the Asrock Deskmini 110 which can use a i7-7700.
A i3-7350K will be faster in single threaded performance. And a $80 Pentium G4560 migth also be an option it runs at 3.5Ghz.
This is not a question buy the way we will just have to see what ROCK will run on when it is released.

In this case, I believe the delay is due to a decision to make significant changes to the architecture. If this is correct, a decision was made to delay the initial release … rather than release ROCK v1 that had variously been referred to as “very nearly ready”, “so close” and “closely following the release of ROON 1.3”, then followed later by ROCK v2.

We are left to assume that the desired re-architecting of the original design would be unacceptably delayed by having to simultaneously support the v1 product and / or other mystery sauce discovered very late in beta testing.

I doubt the decision was easily made, due in no small part to the anticipation and expectations that have been generated. It surprises me not at all that more than a few folks think ROCK is already in the wild …

Short of abandoning the idea of ‘ROCK’ altogether (which they should do), let them take as much time as they need: They’re putting together a customized Linux installation, designed to run headless (i.e. without a monitor) and capable of being installed and – up to a point – managed by the average user.

The average user? Linux?? “Headless” installation???

The whole idea is a potential black hole of support for Roon. Different motherboard/CPU/memory/storage combinations for nearly every customer, the support of which will fall to Roon once they begin distributing an operating system. Why would they do that to themselves?

If you must have ROCK now, download this:

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/server

And install it on whatever hardware you have. Even a modest Core i3 can transcode PCM to DSD512.

Wasn’t that the whole point of going NUC only?

No doubt about that! A bit like deciding to adopt a Romanian orphan but a week before they’re due to arrive deciding you want to remodel the house so they don’t risk falling down the stairs.

Where is the document that states ROCK will be Intel “NUC only”? And why should a NUC be set apart from everything else on the market? It’s nothing but an Intel processor on an Intel motherboard inside an Intel-branded case.

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

I have considered a few times going the way of a Linux (Ubuntu) server as you suggested, but I know Linux as much as I know how to read hieroglyphics. Every time I look at the instructions given here I panic when I read about “dependencies” and entering command lines.
I really wish somebody take the time to write some detailed, for dummies, step by step instructions/tutorial on how to install both Linux and Roon servers.
A YouTube video tutorial would be even better.
Is there such a thing out there? If so I would be done waiting for ROCK.