Roon Optimized Core Kit (previously reported as Roon OS)

In fact the HDMI physical interface while the same connector is used its pin out configurations for other than HDMI Audio/Video use i.e. I2S can be different, there is a PS Audio I2S configuration and there are others that are not pin for pin compatible.

HDMI also has other physical interfaces that can be used for AV too. Just like RCA/Phono style connections are also used for composite video or TOSLINK doesn’t mean the signalling is comparable. Or XLR connectors can be analogue or digital etc etc

Hi all- just to jump in again- for users like me who are trying to figure out a solution to stream native DSD via HDMI (or maybe for others via USB)… I see a few possible options and appreciate any feedback for what is outlined below:

1. ROCK if @danny and his team confirm that the software will stream Native DSD (hopefully via HDMI :))
  2. NUC running Windows 10 via a Roon core - but I don’t know if this works. Has anyone had any success streaming native DSD this way? Especially via HDMI?
  3. MAC Mini - @wizardofoz noted success streaming native DSD via HDMI on the MAC interface.

You cannot stream native DSD from a computing device via standard HDMI unless they have paid significant royalties to Sony. And no one has. And that should not be confused with i2S over HDMI which is the format used by some high end DACs. They are different and won’t work.

A NUC running Windows 10 can stream native via USB so long as the DAC drivers and DAC work ok. Not always a given with some hardware if they rely on generic drivers.

I don’t know how a MAC goes about what it does but I’d wager it converts to PCM or does DOP? I would want to see some evidence that it was indeed native DSD. For instance my DAC doesn’t distinguish between native and DOP. It reports as DSD in either instance.

This thread helps explain how HDMI can be used to transport native DSD (see KeithL comments on Feb 25: http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/41487/windows-hdmi-anybody-direct-work)

Based on what I have read - it looks like HDMI can be used- the question is whether the hardware in the computer (and the software- in this case ROCK or Roon Core) will allow it too (assuming you have a DAC that is capable of receiving the signal).

There is no dispute that it can be used, but it has to be licensed. That means both the source device and the receiver. USB is your only feasible option and native DSD will only happen when the open source community gets up to speed with Linux.

Thanks very much AMP. I hadn’t even heard of ROCK till yesterday, and couldn’t really find anything explaining it till your post. Sounds like ROCK could be exactly what I need. I’m new to Roon with 1.3 on about Feb 1, and instantly loved it. But it is a lot of work, and re-ripping the CDs to get lossless was as well. At the moment, I think the only problem I have with it is occasional cut-outs that I think occur because my MacBook Air can only accommodate 4GB of RAM. And it is annoying to ensure my Air is on and open someplace. So ROCK sounds ideal to me.

It’s not a bad idea to have a dedicated box for a Roon Server. This gets rid of a lot of potential problems. We have a good one if you don’t want to build it yourself.

We also have servers with automatic CD ripping.

1 Like

@agillis please stop trying to promote the Sonic Transporter in a thread discussing ROCK. The two offerings are mutually exclusive and this only serves to confuse people.

9 Likes

@James_Newman Bingo. I’m right there with you. I have been using Roon for about 6 months and love it. I currently run Roon from my MacBook Pro and I experience the same suboptimal performance you do. While running Roon from a separate computer is purported to improve sound quality, I feel an equal or even larger benefit is the snappy response, and knowing that it’s always on.

1 Like

ROCK is great for people who what to build their own systems. But there are many Roon users that want a simple solution they can buy that works out of the box.

I think its important for Roon users to know all the options available to them. I don’t think this confuses users at all.

5 Likes

It’s important to note that according to reports, ROCK will be great for people who want to build their own system at some unspecified point in the future when it’s released.

Since the release dependencies and timeline expectations have been reset, we really have no idea when that may be …

In the meantime I think it’s far less confusing for people to know about some of real world solutions actually available right now.

@AMP If Mr. Gillis post was inappropriate for its self promotion, I think that’s a different criticism. Having said that, it’s also not unreasonable for vendors to feel concern that their business may be suffering unduly because of people holding off from a purchase because of the expectation of a repeatedly delayed competitor product. In that respect, I think Mr. Gillis deserves a little leeway.

1 Like

I can’t agree. Open a thread for that product. Link to it if necessary or appropriate but keep this thread on topic.

6 Likes

Under other circumstances I would very probably agree with you 100%.

Unfortunately, and undoubtedly with entirely positive intent, ROCK has a bit of a larger than life existence around these parts with the potential for unintended consequences.

Re-reading the OP’s post provides the context for Mr. Gillis’ reply, and in that context I think it was a helpful reply

I think the post was fine in relation to this subject. Which just goes to show that maybe Moderating should be left to Moderators.

1 Like

Ok, I’ve been told.

Honestly, I’m surprised members of the trade are permitted to advertise their stuff in regular discussion threads on here. Most places in my experience tend to have separate sub-fora for such things. Reliable technical discussions imho become difficult when mot advertising is permitted in-thread, and nobody wants an mot bun fight in an otherwise informative thread.

Nothing personal against the mots here, and obviously I’m not privy to any deals you guys may or may not have with Roon to allow your posting and advertising here, but honestly it’s a big turn off when mots use otherwise useful discussion threads to pimp their wares.

3 Likes

Guys,

If you have a problem with an “advertising” post, or any post for that matter, please raise your issue with the Roon staff and community moderators by using the flagging system. A notification is then sent and appropriate action taken.

Imho, having numerous posts complaining about a single post is way more distracting for the reader than the original post.

Looking at Andrew Gillis’ posting history shows us that the vast majority of his post are support in nature not self-promotion. As long as vendors contribute to the forum in ways that are not just plugging their gear then, in moderation, it is ok. In this case it is totally fine as the post is in context.

Flagging is the correct way to have you say. In order not to distract, further comments on this will be removed from this topic

10 Likes

Hello,

sorry for my question, but where can i download the factory reset image (factoryreset.img.gz) for installing on an Intel NUC? The link in the “Rock install guide” does not work.

Best regards

Martin

@Martin_Loeher ROCK is not available yet, hence the link not working.

Russ

Is there a target delivery date? If it’s a while away I’ll do a temp windows build on my NUC but if it’s imminent I’ll just wait until it’s delivered before selling my Mac mini.