Roon Optimized Core Kit (previously reported as Roon OS)

I am very excited about this, along with the possibility of Roon Core only devices built by partners. I’m wondering, in either of these scenarios (DIY Roon OS device, or dedicated hardware), I would not be able to run HQPlayer on the same device? I realize that Roon can connect to a networked HQPlayer and they don’t have to run on the same computer, but it somewhat seems to defeat the purpose of having a dedicated Roon device if I still have to have a computer running to use HQPlayer. Are there any dedicated devices for running HQPlayer, and are they headless? Is something like this possible with HQPlayer embedded that would still allow Roon integration?

depends on the vendor and the machine… for example, these guys are shipping a product right now that is a Roon Core + HQPlayer. It’s an awesome beast of a box that spares no expense.

1 Like

Holy cow – that’s a monster!

Still no comparison to my pimped up Pi though… :wink:

3 Likes

Very interesting, thanks.

I’m very interested in this Roon OS. I used to have roon server on a QNAP TS251+ with a virtual machine (Fedora) and few months ago i invested in a Brix computer (GB-BSi7HT-6500). This computer with a M2 SSD of 512Go and 32Go of ram is fully dedicated to roon server working on a Fedora 24 server “optimized”.
I would be happy to install Roon OS on a second SSD that could be put in the Brix and understand if there is some differences between Roon OS and Roon Server on Fedora.

When should we be able to see this Roon OS released ?

This thread seems to have to come to a dead stop. Wondering how things are on the ROON OS front and what sort of general interest there is in this development.

pre-release, no official info until release happens… a few partners are releasing stuff with Roon OS shortly, but the DIY solution which we plan to call Roon Core Kit (not 100% decided yet, but we like the name) is still under way.

1 Like

@danny Any more word about hardware specs? Bigger SSDs? Internal HD storage?

@fritzg not yet … ill let you know when I have new news… lots of things coming, this is one small piece.

3 Likes

@danny I’m very interested in this “small piece” :slight_smile: as I’m looking for a solution to get roon server of my MacBook pro. A NUC running roon OS seems like the perfect solution for me.

I found below info in a a recent article on CA :

Throughout the 12:00 - 6:00 PM event, the most talked about hardware was easily the Intel NUC series of computers. It seemed like everyone had a NUC or two or three. This fit right in with Rob Darling’s explanation of the new RoonOS / NUC product. The team at Roon has created a disk image for USB thumb drives, that installs Linux and RoonServer on an Intel NUC without any user intervention. The idea is that people can download the disk image, write it to a USB drive, stick that in a NUC, hit the power button and the OS and RoonServer will automatically install on the system. All configuration, such as pointing Roon to the location of one’s music, is done via a Roon remote. Roon Labs plans to offer a link to an Amazon shopping cart (or similar) where people can click to purchase all the required elements of the system. This isn’t a Roon product, rather an easy system designed by Roon. Much more to come on this really cool new “product.”

The link to Amazon or similar would be very nice as well as this would ensure that we purchase the correct gear. Hopefully you will not forget us Europeans and include links to Amazon.de or amazon.co.uk

1 Like

Possible to also get some Roon OS for touch screen PCs? I would love some Linux install on my HP Envy that just serves up the Roon GUI just like my Control 15 does for Sooloos without popping all kinds of crappy Windows 10 messages and updates I don’t care about.

1 Like

Currently, we lack a full UI on Linux, so that isn’t likely. There was some work done here in the past, but it’s a lot of effort for a small userbase running desktop Linux. We may revisit if there the need for an appliance or Linux desktop takes off, but we built Roon to take advantage of the multitude of cheap iOS and Android tablets that “appliances” can’t compete with.

go with the (technical) flow. why not? 80/20 etc.

Any progress on Roon OS? “Almost complete” on September 12. So presumably, “almost completely complete” by now? ROON is wonderful even on my not so great laptop. I’m sure it’ll be even better on a dedicated system.
Cheers.

Even if the product isn’t complete I’d be interested in knowing if the hardware specs have been completely fleshed out (specifically the SSD/mSATA size limits). I’m sitting on a 256GB nvme stick wondering if it’s going to be useable or if I should try to find a different use for it.

1 Like

it’s been done for a while, but we cant release without roon v1.3 – it’s missing some pretty big functionality without 1.3

I have two usb 5TB hard drives filled with various format files…currently using 2011 MBP as core.
Will I be able to attach both drives to a NUC.
Or am I limited to one drive only?

Thanks,

Larry

Just have a look at Intel’s NUC webpage. You’ll see NUC’s are typically armed with several USB inputs.

I believe @seaharp1 may have been enquiring about the limitations of Roon OS rather than the hardware. Danny has said Roon OS will not support internal storage of music files when released but will require storage to be attached by USB/SMB. Internal storage may be supported in future.

I don’t know the answer to that question, but it would be a significant departure from Roon design principles to limit storage to one USB/SMB device. Roon is intended to enable users to see all their music, wherever located, within the one interface.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I’m referring to.

The reason I ask is because I was interested in the Sonictransporter i5 and Andy told me that only 1 storage device can be attached.
A NAS or single DAS.

I have two 5 TB drives so it won’t work on the Sonictransporter…I am trying to keep my budget down.

Hope this clear.

Thanks again,

Larry