Roon pauses at random times

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
HP computer operating Windows 10 is core. Build 1.7 build 505 for 64 bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Verizon wi-fi.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
KEF LSW speakers.

Description Of Issue
This has been happening for about 2 weeks. Roon pauses; it usually happens half-hour and hour after starting. Need to hit the pause/start button a few times and it continues.

Hi @Edward_Deptula,

How are the Core and KEFs connected to the network? If they are connected via WiFi, is there any change if you connect them via Ethernet?

I keep getting a message “Roon lost control of the audio device”. The core is directly attached to the router; the Kefs are attached via WiFi.

i also have a dac from the computer with a headphone amp attached. I never have a problem with that setup.

Hi @Edward_Deptula,

Is the behavior the same if you try connecting your KEFs via USB instead of over the network as a test?

I had the computer commected via USB for about 6 hours yesterday without a problem. Today I used my phone to directly play to the KEFs via the KEF Stream app. Went for 4 hours without a snag. The problem when running Roon is that it is not predictable. The other day it went about an hour and a half without a problem. Then it stopped several times in the space of 15 minutes.

Hi @Edward_Deptula,

Can you please let me know the exact local time + date + track when this behavior next occurs? I would like to enable diagnostics mode after getting this info.

Some users also commented saying that factory resetting KEF speakers has helped in the past, so if you haven’t had a chance to do this yet, it’s worth a try:

Noris,

I wanted to wait a little to respond. The day I reset the speakers, it went for about 8 hours without a problem. Unfortunately, the behavior started up again. There is no particular time. It can happen when using by Roon library or it can happen with Qobuz. Again, the message is that “Roon has lost control of the audio device.” Can I enable diagnostics if this starts up again?

Thanks,

Ed Deptula

Hi @Edward_Deptula,

Yes, please note the exact local time + date + track when this behavior next occurs and I can enable diagnostics mode for your account.

Noris, This is insane tonight. It stops every 20 or 30 seconds with the “Roon has lost…” message. I restarted the Kefs and Roon.

It just happened at 8:38pm, Thursday, March 19. Album - One Take Radio Sessions , TRACK 1 The Trawlerman Song, 29 seconds into track.

Ed Deptula

Hi @Edward_Deptula,

Is there any change in behavior if you reboot your Core, KEFs and Networking Gear?

Are the KEFs the only zone impacted by this behavior or do other zones also display this issue regarding playback of this track?

Roon lost control of Audio Device. I have rebooted everything and it still stops playing about every 30 seconds. I haven’t had this problem in a while - but this is ridiculous. Tonight 8:26 to 8:27 happened several times trying to listen to Quobuz Groven Symphony No.1. I do not have this problem when listening to headphones, only with the KEF LS50 wireless. Please let me know how to run a trace to solve this problem.

Hi @Edward_Deptula,

Thanks for the new timestamp. I have activated diagnostics mode for your account and what this action does it automatically upload a log-set to our servers. I’m looking over the log and this is what I’m seeing:

06/04 20:27:06 Trace: [KEF LS50 W] [Lossless, 24/96 QOBUZ FLAC => 24/96] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 1:26/6:22] Symphony No. 1, Op. 26 "Towards the Mountains": I. Andante quasi cantabile - Kristiansand Symphony Orchestra / Peter Szilvay / Eivind Groven
06/04 20:27:06 Trace: [KEF LS50 W] [zoneplayer/kef] endstream, zp state: WaitForStatus
06/04 20:27:06 Trace: [KEF LS50 W] [Lossless, 24/96 QOBUZ FLAC => 24/96] [100% buf] [PAUSED @ 1:26/6:22] Symphony No. 1, Op. 26 "Towards the Mountains": I. Andante quasi cantabile - Kristiansand Symphony Orchestra / Peter Szilvay / Eivind Groven
06/04 20:27:06 Trace: [KEF LS50 W] [zoneplayer/kef] State transition WaitForStatus => Disconnected
06/04 20:27:06 Info: Alert: Transport: playback_error_endpoint_lost
06/04 20:27:06 Info: Alert: Transport: playback_error_endpoint_lost
06/04 20:27:06 Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream] All streams were disposed
06/04 20:27:06 Trace: [KEF LS50 W] [zoneplayer/kef] endstream, zp state: Disconnected
06/04 20:27:06 Debug: [easyhttp] [155] POST to https://www.qobuz.com/api.json/0.2/track/reportStreamingEnd? returned after 401 ms, status code: 200
06/04 20:27:06 Trace: [client/kef] stop async start
06/04 20:27:06 Trace: [client/kef] timers stopped
06/04 20:27:06 Trace: [client/kef] stop request, device: uuid:5f9ec1b3-ed59-1900-4530-84171500cd3b
06/04 20:27:06 Trace: [KEF LS50 W] [zoneplayer/kef] got http request while zoneplayer was in non-playing state, closing connnection
06/04 20:27:06 Trace: [KEF LS50 W] [zoneplayer/kef] transaction canceled, isplaying: False, did stream end: False, tx path: /00b308c9aef745079587be775acd9a9c/Roona3ba603801844890943c91623ba8b112.flac, stream path: /00b308c9aef745079587be775acd9a9c/Roona3ba603801844890943c91623ba8b112.flac, method: Get
06/04 20:27:06 Trace: [client/kef] stop response
06/04 20:27:07 Trace: [broker/images] Checking for image updates
06/04 20:27:07 Trace: [broker/images] 0 images need update.
06/04 20:27:07 Trace: [broker/images] Image updates complete
06/04 20:27:14 Trace: [client/kef] av_status

To me, it looks like the KEFs are dropping off, possibly due to a networking issue. Let’s do this:

What exactly is connecting via WiFi? Both the Core and the KEFs? As a test, could you try temporarily connecting both Core and KEFs via Ethernet instead of WiFi?

1. Is there any change in this issue if you try connecting the KEFs via USB instead of Ethernet?

Starting with 2:I have never had a problem with USB. I have the USB going into my PS Audio DAC and that goes into my Heed headphone amp. I have never had a problem with headphones. I assume that the USB connection would work that way with the KEFs.

The core is an HP desktop which is connected to my router. The KEFs connect with Wi-Fi. I have the router set to channel 48 which KEF says works. Wi-Fi Analyzer app does not see a problem with this. Do you want me to try using ethernet cable from the router to the speaker?

Keep in mind this problem happened once or twice since march and quickly stopped. Last night was crazy.

Yes, next time this issue occurs, please try connecting the KEFs via Ethernet instead of WiFi, just to eliminate the WiFi as being the source of this issue.

WiFi is susceptible to more environmental interference than Etherent, so it would be good to clarify if it’s causing issues on your end as well.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.