Roon playback stops randomly with Tidal error in the logs: "Session does not have streaming privileges"

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nucleus

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Wired Ubiquiti setup

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Trinnov Amethyst connected via wired ethernet

Description Of Issue
Playback stops randomly. This happens multiple times per day sometimes.
Inspection of the logs show this happening. It just never comes back.

08/12 06:00:47 Debug: [zone Amethyst] _Advance
08/12 06:00:47 Trace: [mlradio] [1] [music/mlradio] GetNextItem(1 / 21)
08/12 06:00:47 Trace: [mlradio] [1] [music/mlradio] returning 1 items for request of 1 items
08/12 06:00:47 Trace: [zone Amethyst] queue got oversized. trimming 1 items from start
08/12 06:00:47 Debug: [zone Amethyst] Remove(1 items, for_replace=False)
08/12 06:00:47 Info: after removeall ordered count 5000 shuffle count 5000
08/12 06:00:47 Warn: [tidal/http] GET https://api.tidal.com/v1/tracks/10602498/playbackinfopostpaywall?countryCode=US&audioquality=HI_RES&assetpresentation=FULL&playbackmode=STREAM => Unauthorized {"status":401,"subStatus":4006,"userMessage":"Session does not have streaming privileges"}
08/12 06:00:47 Warn: [tidal/media] could not get playback info for 168:0:10602498: Result[Status=Unauthorized]
08/12 06:00:47 Debug: [query] Sooloos.Broker.Transport.TransportItem: 5001 dirty items. rebuilding query instead of re-sorting item-by-item (internaltype=TransportItem)
08/12 06:00:47 Debug: [query] Sooloos.Broker.Transport.TransportItem: 5001 dirty items. rebuilding query instead of re-sorting item-by-item (internaltype=TransportItem)
08/12 06:00:48 Info: ComputeSwimType(LimitToSeed=False, PerformerIds.Count=0, ComposerIds.Count=0)
08/12 06:00:48 Debug: [query] Sooloos.Broker.Transport.TransportItem: 5015 dirty items. rebuilding query instead of re-sorting item-by-item (internaltype=TransportItem)
08/12 06:00:48 Debug: [query] Sooloos.Broker.Transport.TransportItem: 5015 dirty items. rebuilding query instead of re-sorting item-by-item (internaltype=TransportItem)
08/12 06:00:48 Info: [zone Amethyst] OnPlayFeedback StoppedEndOfMediaUnnatural
08/12 06:00:48 Info: [zone Amethyst] OnPlayFeedback Stopped
08/12 06:00:48 Trace: [Amethyst] [Enhanced, 16/44 TIDAL FLAC => 24/44] [STOPPED @ 0:00] Sunset - Jonathan Butler
08/12 06:00:48 Warn: [tidal/http] GET https://api.tidal.com/v1/tracks/19360229/playbackinfopostpaywall?countryCode=US&audioquality=HI_RES&assetpresentation=FULL&playbackmode=STREAM => Unauthorized {"status":401,"subStatus":4006,"userMessage":"Session does not have streaming privileges"}
08/12 06:00:48 Warn: [tidal/media] could not get playback info for 168:0:19360229: Result[Status=Unauthorized]
08/12 06:00:48 Debug: [raat/tcpaudiosource] disconnecting
08/12 06:00:48 Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream] All streams were disposed
08/12 06:00:48 Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream -> endpoint] All streams were disposed

Hi @MattT,

How long has this issue been going on for? Is this a recent issue or has it been occurring for some time?
Are you able to properly play tracks with this TIDAL account on the TIDAL web player (listen.tidal.com)?

I’ve been dealing with random stops for quite awhile (at least a month?). I didn’t take the chance to look at the logs until a few days ago. The several that I’ve diagnosed all have that error in the logs.

It’s weird because if I just hit play again it always works.

Hi @MattT,

Is there any change in behavior if you try to log out and back in to TIDAL via Roon Settings -> Services?

You can also try to clear out the cache as a follow up troubleshooting step, perhaps this will help:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Find and open your Roon database
  • Navigate to RoonServer/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting Roon and verify if the issue still occurs

Sorry for the delay. I tried both of those things: clearing the cache, and logging out of TIDAL. I’m still getting the random stops with the same error in the logs.

Hi @MattT,

Thanks for giving those suggestions a try.

Can you please send full logs folder via Dropbox / Google Drive / ect? If you don’t have any file transfer services, just let me know and I can provide one.

Also, are you by any chance using TIDAL elsewhere when this issue occurs? Do you have another active TIDAL stream at the same time elsewhere?

Hi @noris, this still continues to happen. Here are the RoonServer logs for the last few days.

Shared Roon Logs

I don’t use TIDAL anywhere else but via Roon.

Hi @MattT ,

Thanks for sending the logs! I’m checking with the team on this one, in the meantime, can you please confirm if you are able to use the TIDAL web player properly (listen.tidal.com) when this error occurs? Are you the only use of the TIDAL account or is it a shared account with someone else?

I am the only one using the TIDAL account. I only use the TIDAL account from Roon normally. When I try the web player it works fine.

I’m having the same problem as you MattT, it’s being unusable with tidal at this moment - all the time losing internet connection ( 30 seconds ) , and then roon by itself starts to pause music , and change music. Again and again and again. I hope it’s just temporary , it was working fine yesterday! And surprisingly it was doing a good selection of music with roon radio ( on that score - cheers roon Team! Roon radio it’s starting to make sense again ) . Could you please fix this issue with Tidal.

Hello @MattT ,

Apologies for the delay in response here, are you still seeing this issue occurring at the present time on the latest Roon build, or have there been any changes with regard to the issue on the latest build?

Do you by any chance have another PC you can try to temporarily host the Roon Core on? You can use these instructions to perform this test:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings → General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Please let us know the results of this test when possible, thank you!

FWIW I switched to Qobuz and these issues went away. It seems like Qobuz streams a lot more stuff in 24/96 and 24/192 than Tidal as well so I’m loving it.

2 Likes