Roon playback stops randomly

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Grimm MU1 server, OS Version Linux 4.19.10-tinycore64 and Roon Ver 1.7 (build 710).

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
CAT 6A ethernet network connected to the internet via a TP-Link Archer VR1600v modem router. All audio devices are connected to the ethernet network.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Grimm MU1 server connected to the ethernet network via a Chord English 8Switch and (as Roon End point) to Kii Three speakers by AES/EBU digital cable.
Two Naim Mu-So streamers connected to the ethernet network. These devices are not effected by playback stoppages.
Music streamed from the server’s internal SSD (6,893 tracks - FLAC only) and Tidal.
iPadPro and iPhone 12 running Roon app Ver 1.7 (build 610).

Description Of Issue
Roon playback to Kii Three speakers (from the server SSD and Tidal) stops randomly. Stoppages occur during most listening sessions.
When a stoppage occurs the Roon progress bar continues to count down the track time. Playback does not restart if I press Pause then Play.
If I attempt to play the “offending” track after clearing the Roon queue or rebooting the server playback stops in about 2 seconds. However, if I play another album it plays with no stops.
The only pattern I can identify is that stoppages are more likely on 48/24 bit files but this could be because some favourite albums are 48/24 so they get played more often.
Grimm Support recently deleted the Roon database but did not resolve the problem. I also used the coax input to the Kii Control to verify there’s no issue with the Kii AES/EBU input.
I would appreciate if you would enable diagnostics on my account.
Regards

Hello @NickW, we’d be happy to enable diagnostics but I’ll need a timestamp and a track name when you’re able to reproduce the issue. Also, do you have this issue when playing to other endpoints and system output of a remote?

Hello Nuwriy
Thank you for your response. The times below are Sydney daylight savings time (i.e.GMT +11) and the date is 3 February.

14:56 Start playback of album Methyl Ethel “Hurts to Laugh” (96kHz 24bit).
15:10 Track #4 What Memory Found playback stopped (track time approx 2:25).
15:13 Played Track #4. Progress time bar started but there was no music.
15:15 Played Track #4. Playback stopped at ~2 seconds. Progress time bar continued to countdown.
15:20 Rebooted Grimm Core.
15:20 Played Track #4. Playback stopped at ~1:46. Progress time bar continued to countdown.

In response to your second question, I don’t have the issue playing to other endpoints.

Regards
Nick

Here is a case from 4 February which may be of interest. This time I didn’t clear the queue or reboot the Grimm server. As above, the times are GMT+11.

12:21 “Sun Forest” by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds went silent about 1 minute into the 6:46 track. Progress time bar continued to countdown. I let playback continue and at 12:25 I was surprised when the track started playing at about the 4 minutes mark.

Regards
Nick

Hello @NickW,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hello nuwriy
I appreciate Roon Support is busy but I was wondering if the technical staff have had an opportunity to examine the diagnostic report.
Regards
Nick

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.