Roon Playlist with tracks from Tidal, Qobuz, and local library

Question on Playlists. I have several Roon created playlists where ive added songs from all 3 of my sources, Qobuz, Tidal and Local files….

I got Tidal and Qobuz at promotional rates for the first year, to try out… so in 6 months when i remove one of the pay services… do i lost the tracks in the playlist from the service i remove???

I’m not sure but I guess the tracks will still be listed in the playlist, but of course they will be unavailable and unplayable.

You can export the playlist to the Soundiiz CVS format. Then you can use the Soundiiz web service to sync the playlist between streaming services (as least for tracks that are available on both). Of course you should do that as long as you still have access to both streaming services

2 Likes

They remain in the playlist but show as unavailable.

If you’re simply migrating from Tidal <—> Qobuz, with a few widely available local tracks, then as Suedkiez suggests you can can use Soundiz and as long as the new service has the same tracks in its catalogue you’ll end up with a new Qobuz or Tidal playlist, which you can then save a local copy of in Roon if you want to edit it.

You’ll now potentially have three playlists in Roon: your original one, a new Qobuz/Tidal one you created via Soundiz and possibly another local copy you’ve created from it in Roon. At this point you probably want to delete the original one and maybe also the original Qobuz/Tidal one if you’ve already created a local copy of it.

Things get more complex if your playlist has local tracks that aren’t on Qobuz/Tidal or you want the new playlist to retain any pointers to local files/versions over the streaming platforms versions, as currently there’s no easy way of handling those two scenarios…

1 Like

There are two types of playlists: Those that reside on the streaming service(s) and your Roon-specific playlists. The first type can only have track on that service(s) obviously. Roon playlists can have anything you want. As with everything in Roon, the streaming service and Roon-based playlists are shown together.

On streaming service(s) playlist: You can use Soundiiz to map one streaming service tracks, favorited albums, etc to the other. It works pretty well.

On Roon-based playlists: You’re out of luck. Tracks you added from a streaming service will remain there after the streaming service subscription expires but of course will not play. You can manually look for replacements on the streaming service you kept, but there is no Roon facility to automate this, and Soundiiz cannot really help you here.

The most automated method to convert a mixed playlist in Roon to something you can still use would be to export that playlist, import it on Soundiiz, and let Soundiiz find all possible matches in your remaining streaming service. Your playlist will now have all of the same tracks (well, only the ones matched in the target service) and reside on the streaming service’s playlists. I have never done this so I don’t know how well or not it would work.

3 Likes

There are lots of ways, none ideal. One hybrid way….

Make a Roon copy of Playlist
Keep only the missing songs
Export that and use soundizz
Add that partial playlist back to your original that has the locals

Depending on genre you might lose a few due to not matching. If you have special or specific versions you may not get them matched exactly.

In all methods you lose play counts in Roon.

2 Likes