Roon plays a few seconds of song on Tidal, then stops

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nucleus Plus

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Asus RT-AC88U, all devices connected through Ethernet, NAD CI 580 (2x), Sonos boxes (2x)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
NADs and Sonos output to Sonance dsp 8-130 (3x)

Description Of Issue
Roon starts playing the song streamed through Tidal, then goes quiet even though the display shows it continuing to play. At that point you can pause, press play again, do whatever, but no sound comes out.

After waiting a couple of minutes with it on pause, if you press play, it plays again and will continue to work work for hours. But that first couple of minutes drives me nuts. It happens with every zone.

I’ve tried the usual firmware updates for all devices in the signal chain, restart, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi @Hunter_Allen,

How often does this behavior occur?

Does this happen with local content?

If you play to System Output of a remote device without using DSP does the same behavior occur?

It happens every time I play content for the first time that day.

It happens every time I play local content or stream.

I haven’t used DSP, on Roon yet, but I tried System Output on my Roon phone app and did not have the problem.

Hi @Hunter_Allen,

Can you share a screenshot of Device Setup and the signal path when playing to a zone that does experience this issue?

Signal path is Nucleus Plus source sent through network to NAD CI 580 to Sonance DSP 8-130. I’ve had this issue on both NAD CI 580s. I’ve also had the issue using Nucleus Plus with USB out to PS Audio Direct Stream DAC to Rogue RP-7 to First Watt F7.

Hi @Hunter_Allen,

Are you using any DSP settings in Roon?

Has this problem occurred the entire time since I last heard from you or is it something that comes and goes?

I haven’t ever used DSP settings in Roon.

Unfortunately it has occurred the entire time since you last heard from me.

Thanks, @Hunter_Allen.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Absolutely. At 5:40/5:41am Tuesday February 25th I selected “Living/Kitchen/Dining” zone and played Amarillo By Morning by George Strait on Tidal. The song played for a few seconds, then went silent. The “eq frequency bars” to the left of the specific song’s play button were moving representing it was playing, but it wasn’t playing. After a couple of minutes of no sound, I pressed pause, then pressed pay again and the song picked up where it left off when it went silent a couple of minutes earlier (a few seconds into the song).
This is how it works if I’m patient. If I’m impatient and press the pause button too early or try getting other songs to play, sometimes I can get another song to play eventually, but sometimes it locks up Roon and I have to restart the Nucleus or I just switch out of Roon and use Blue OS or Spotify connect.

Thanks, @Hunter_Allen.

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hi @Hunter_Allen

Can you try adjusting the Resync Delay and let us know if increasing the value of this setting helps at all?

I changed the resync delay to two full seconds. At 6:02 p.m. I played “let it go” from the Frozen soundtrack and had the issue that I’ve been having.

Hi @Hunter_Allen,

I spoke with the team about this and they’ve informed me that there is a known issue with the NAD CI-580 that is likely playing into this. NAD is aware of the issue and can provide further updates on their end.

To confirm, if you play only to the Sonos device with the NAD not in use, does the same behavior occur? If so, can you provide a timestamp and track name when you reproduce the issue with just Sonos?

Thanks!

I confirmed that when I only play on the Sonos device with the NAD not in use I don’t have the issue. Do you know of a better way to reach out to NAD support than through general support on their website?

Hello @Hunter_Allen,

I would recommend contacting the NAD dealer you purchased the equipment from and explaining your issue. They may have resources at NAD that extend beyond those offered to end-users.

-John

I was able to connect with NAD and they weren’t aware of the known issue with the CI-580 + Roon. They are doing some research on the logs I sent them and would also like to connect with Dylan Caudill to discuss the known issue on Roon’s end. Is there an email where the NAD support group can connect with Dylan directly?

Hello @Hunter_Allen,

Also had issues streaming Qobuz and Tidal to my new NAD CI-580 and grouping it to other players without stopping playback.
Before opening my own support thread on this with all the troubleshoot steps I’ve taken, thought I would ask:

• Have you had success resolving the issue of Streaming Tidal to your CI-580
  • Anything further from NAD or @Roon Labs: Support
    Mark

Hey Mark - Thanks for reaching out! Roon left off that this is a known issue with the CI-580. I connected with NAD and they weren’t aware that it is a known issue with their product. NAD asked for a way to connect with Roon directly so they could be brought up to speed on the known issue and that’s what I was asking Roon for earlier in this thread, but I haven’t heard back from Roon and NAD hasn’t made any effort to my knowledge to reach out to Roon. When two people are responsible, no one is responsible:)

So far NAD offered some pretty basic troubleshooting steps. The first round was turn it off, leave it unplugged overnight, then turn it on again. The second round was a factory reset. I tried them and they didn’t do anything for either CI-580 unit, which tells me every CI-580 is going to have the same problem. If you would like to send me your email I can forward you their correspondence, but there isn’t anything earth-shattering offered. I’m waiting to hear back for a third round of troubleshooting where hopefully they will have something more substantial.

I was looking at getting another CI-580 and a couple of other Bluesound products, but if I can’t solve this, I’ll probably sell my CI-580s and Nucleus+ and go with a non-Bluesound/non-Roon setup. It doesn’t matter how slick the interface is if it doesn’t work:)

I just found this other thread of people having similar problems with the CI-580/Roon combo: Nad ci580 Thoughts

Please let me know if you make any progress and I’ll continue to post mine. - Hunter

Update - NAD logged into my network and spent a couple of hours trying everything in the book. They determined it is a software issue and have sent it to their developers to hopefully fix the problem. They aren’t able to give me an estimated timeline for a fix - next month? next year? never? Who knows.

There is a universal compatibility issue between the CI-580 and Roon so I’m not sure how the CI-580 ended up on Roon’s approved compatibility list when it is not compatible. That would have been great to know before spending $5,000 on “compatible” devices plus a cumulative 15 hours of troubleshooting:)