Roon portable battery power speaker

I need a portable battery power speaker for patio and rv use. Looking at Sonus roam and JBL Link any advise out there? Sonus move?

I use the JBL Link very happily with Roon out by the pool and hot tub.
Roon sees it as a Chromecast unit and it’s just rock solid.

Was actually discussing this vs the Roam over the weekend and I think the Link has a bit more bass punch while the Roam might have more detail.

Battery life on the Link is excellent!

Probably can’t go far wrong with either IMHO

2 Likes

I haven’t heard this speaker, but there’s the Bluesound Pulse Flex 2i. You can purchase an optional rechargeable battery pack. It’s also Roon Ready.

I own the Pulse Mini and it’s great, though no battery pack.

I own the Flex 2i and have a battery pack. It’s great for portability however when using the battery only I notice it ‘chuffing’ on low frequencies at volume. This doesn’t happen when it’s plugged in to power leading me to suspect that the battery can’t supply enough power for low bass frequencies.

JBL Link 20 for me works perfectly via Chromecast in Roon and surprisingly good for its price.

Thanks probably go JBL. I have a history with JBL going back to my first ever speakers JBL L212.

2 Likes

Same question – But I already have two Flexes with batteries. They sound very good. But the speakers aren’t working well with the batteries lately - dropouts and rebooting. I don’t use them that much off power and perhaps having them charging all the time has affected them. Its been about 2.5 years. I do like them for indoors use but they’re not the outdoor solution I had hoped for. So I’ll just use them without the batteries rather than buy two new batteries for ~$200. Frankly I’m not sure I recommend the Flex’s battery option at all.

But the alternatives are few.

I really want to know more about the Escape P6, but there are not a lot of users on here commenting on them and while the reviews are decent, for $1000 I find them unconvincing. And there’s nowhere in NYC I can hear them.

At this point I’m thinking I’ll just get something Airplay but not RAAT capable and give up on the goal of the indoor and outdoor zones being in synch. Any recommendations?

Still swear by my JBL Link…lol.
Battery life is excellent and I have not noticed any low frequency artifacts.
It gets regular pool side and hot tub duties.

2 Likes

The Flex batteries are standard rechargeable and can be replaced with like kind in the battery pack. Make sure you match voltage. Look at the bottom of the inner frame and you’ll see a tab that releases the back.

1 Like

Somewhere in the battery pack’s manual, they actually do warn about keeping them charging all the time being bad for battery life.

Just to help

2 Likes

Hello,

I have the Zipp for such use cases since version 1 (Copenhagen Edition)

I also like the look of the LS.

Got a pair for £60 from their outlet store on eBay - bargain

Dude you made my day. I have loads of those AA rechargables. Thx. Also going to look at a pair of the JBL Link.

I know you’re not supposed to leave batteries endlessly charging but it’s one of those bad habits I refuse to break!

Thx all

Note they are 2300 mAh 1.2v. The voltage and the amperage matter. You can increase the amperage but not the voltage, lower amperage may not drive the speaker properly.

1 Like

Is it just me or does anyone else with Sonos Roam or JBL Link suffer from poor battery life as Roon doesn’t allow them to sleep?