Roon problem at startup and during play

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

When I open the Roon app, it doesn’t detect my Cary DMS-550. When I close and reopen Roon, it detects it and works

I normally use a playlist with local and Qobuz tracks. Every hour or so, the song gets severely degraded, stops and then moves on to the next track.

Not serious problems, but annoying.

Please complete all sections of the template. Thanks.

Roon Core Machine

Custom PC: Ryzen 7 3700X, ASRock B550 Taichi mobo, 32GB DRAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ASUS RT-AX86S wifi router, Motorola SB4161 cable modem, Cox internet

Connected Audio Devices

Cary DMS-550

Number of Tracks in Library

Approx 3000 tracks on PC, Qobuz

Hi @Raphael_Pei,

Thank you for completing the template. It will help tremendously in tracking down your issues.

Could you also provide date/time stamps for the events? I’d like to take a look at your logs to see a bit more about what could be happening.

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

How do I send you the logs?

Hi @Raphael_Pei,

I can pull the logs from my side. If you could provide dates and time examples for both the Cary failing to be recognized and the degradation of audio, I’ll be able to further investigate.

Thanks,
Wes

Ok. I’ll respond the next time it happens. Interestingly, when I opened Roon today, it worked fine. First time in as long as I can remember.

Problem occurred at 0730 US Pacific time. Roon failed to recognize the Cary DMS-550 when first opened. Closed and reopened and worked fine.

Stream stopped mid track at 0809 am and skipped to next song in the queue.

Track stuttered and skipped at 1006am.

Did not recognize my Cary DMS-550 at 0814am 5 Aug

Track stuttered and skipped at 0956am, 5 Aug

Hi @Raphael_Pei,

I pulled logs for your case (and thank you for providing the instance dates/times!)

When I did, here is what I found.

08/04 08:08:47 Trace: [Cary DMS-550] [Enhanced, 24/192 QOBUZ FLAC => 32/192] [PLAYING @ 0:01/2:50] For Once in My Life - Stevie Wonder
08/04 08:08:47 Debug: [prebuffer] sleeping in read -- this isn't good
08/04 08:08:47 Debug: [prebuffer] sleeping in read -- this isn't good
08/04 08:08:48 Debug: [prebuffer] sleeping in read -- this isn't good
08/04 08:08:49 Debug: [prebuffer] sleeping in read -- this isn't good
08/04 08:08:50 Debug: [prebuffer] sleeping in read -- this isn't good
08/04 08:08:50 Warn: FTMSI-B-OE qo/006E1735: poor connection kbps:5200.0 (min:7538.0)

Can you tell me how your Cary DMS-550 is connected to your network? At a glance, it’s very likely a slow networking connection that’s the culprit here.

Please let me know. I’ll be monitoring our thread.

-Wes

It’s a wireless connection from my PC (Roon core) to the DMS-550. According to the WiFi router, it’s a strong connection at 5GHz. It’s a new WiFi6 router that has very good specs.

Can you rig up a (even temporary) ethernet cable and see if that helps.

WiFi is notorious (with Roon) for causing issues like you are reporting !! You will see on the forum any number of “skipping” complaints etc caused by WiFi interference and the like

1 Like

Hi @Raphael_Pei,

Logging definitely shows a connectivity issue. If you could do as @Mike_O_Neill suggested it will tell us a bit more about what might be going on. Is it possible your modem is a modem/router combo? If so, one of these that isn’t in bridge mode could be a serious culprit for interference on both 2.4 and 5ghz bands.

Without knowing the results of a temporary LAN connection I might also ask about the distance from the router and what if any devices in between the two could be causing interference.

Please keep me posted. I’m monitoring our thread all week!

Thanks,
Wes

Nope. It’s just a Wifi router. I have a separate cable modem. It’s about 12-15 ft between my PC and the Cary DMS-550 and no obstructions. I don’t have a CAT 5/5e cable that long. No skipping today so it’s intermittent. I guess I’ll have to live with it. What about the failure to recognize the Cary when the app opens? Didn’t do it today, but I did note when it did happen recently. Is that also a connectivity issue?

It can be. 20’ Cat 5e can be had for just under 7 USD on Amazon. Well worth getting to test and know for sure if it is the WiFi, imho.

1 Like

Hi @Raphael_Pei,

One more thing in addition to the potential testing of a LAN cable vs. wifi.

Can you check your router to ensure that multicast filtering is enabled?

This was something another user ran into here:

Thanks,
Wes

WRT the recognition issue (I suspect there are 2 issues Recognition and Connection) is your DAC switched on when you start up Roon. Some devices need to “broadcast” to Roon as Roon starts. There are many examples on the forum. If its powered off or asleep it may not do that