Roon producing clicking, static, etc

Hi Roon Community,

I am having some trouble with my setup. Will go into detailed hardware setup below, but I am using tidal hifi to source the music for roon. I switched to a more revealing and accurate set of speakers and am noticing some pops and clicks occasionally. Only happens with certain albums. Went to play Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock and I noticed sever popping. When the instruments all come in there is a clicking/popping that is occurring making it unlistenable. As the horns come in it causes this issue to become severe. The static clicks become more electronic sounding and more intense. This is the best example album I can find that exemplifies the problem most clearly.

My hardware is as follows:
Roon Nucleus (base model) > ethernet > Asus Pro Router > ethernet (long run all the way downstairs) > SoTM sMS-200 bridge (powered by linear psu) > USB cable > SoTM dx-USB HD [USB to AES/EBU convert and Reclock] (also powered with linear psu) > AES/EBU cable > Auralic Vega (DAC) > integrated power amp > speakers

Not sure what is causing the issue. I am using all highly regarded, class A equipment and my source files are coming from tidal not my personal collection. I am really frustrated that my new speakers sound so good that now the music doesn’t anymore Haha.
All joking aside, need some help diagnosing and fixing this issue. Please and thanks!

Appreciate any help,
Mike

Hi @John_Kenyon,

Just to confirm, besides the router is there any other networking hardware in use (switches, powerline adapters, etc.)?

This only happens with this one endpoint, correct? Can you share a screenshot of the signal path when playing to this endpoint in Roon along with screenshots of Device Setup for this device?

Thanks!

@dylan,

Thanks for prompt response. I have compiled what you asked for below and added some additional information that may be relevant.

To answer your questions first:
The endpoint (sMS-200) connects directly to the router via singular ethernet cable, the Roon server (Nucleus) connects directly to the router via singular ethernet cable, and the Roon remotes (phones and tablet) connect wireless to the router with no switches or extenders involved in those direct chains. There is a small 4 port ethernet splitter plugged into a separate port on the router, but none of the roon devices are using this splitter, it is for my TV room for other devices.

I do not have other endpoints in the house so I can’t answer the question about whether it is a problem from the top or with the endpoint.

Also, I have not had an opportunity to A/B with the previous speakers, but I am confident even the extreme cases of distortion heard during ‘Chameleon - Herbie Hancock’ would definitely be extremely audible on the old speakers. Some of this clicking may have gone unnoticed previously.

SCREENSHOT OF NUCLEUS CONFIG PAGE:
(This morning I reset the database & settings and I tried restarting the Roon Server Software)

SCREENSHOT OF SIGNAL PATH:

SCREENSHOTS OF DEVICE SETUP & ADVANCED SETTINGS:

Hopefully this helps! Thanks!

Hi @John_Kenyon,

If you play directly to one of your remote devices does this same behavior occur?

Can you try playing to the SoTM Bridge without the above device in the chain? Is there any change in behavior when you do so?

If you play this same content outside of Roon does similar behavior occur?

Can you use your control device as an end point and see if it happens then. For example I use my iPad and my phone with headphones in.

PROBLEM LOCATED & SOLVED:

My settings in ROON were set to allow 32bit audio. The SoTM dx-USB HD is only compatible with up to 24bit input. This is where the problem started.

I discovered this yesterday by first taking the above mentioned reclocker & converter from the chain and had no more problems. This isolated the issue. I knew that the device was brand new when I bought it and surely wasn’t defective so I went back and checked for compatibility issues and I read that the SoTM dx-USB HD only wants up to 24bit input. I went and had a look at my settings and found that I was sending up to 32bit to the device. I plugged it back into the chain and changed that single setting for ‘Max Bits Per Sample’ and was good to go.

I am thinking somehow with an update or something, the setting was switched to 32bit.

So this is solved easily (guilty of user error).

I know that Soul of the Music is a Roon Ready product and you guys support most of there hardware in app. I would recommend that you add this device to your registry so that ROON can recognize it and its maximum settings and resolutions. That way others can avoid this issue. ROON asks me to identify the device because it does not load its settings automatically.

I don’t think this is an obscure request for an obscure product. This is an already in-app supported product line and this is one of their award winning addons to improve the performance of other already recognized hardware.

Thanks for any consideration you give this. I just worry for others that try to include this product in their Roon ecosystem.

Appreciate everyone’s time and help.

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.