Roon Radio 1.6 Feedback Thread

Yes!!!

Well done :slight_smile:

The Roon radio mechanic is one of my favorite features in any software – showing what’s coming up, and letting me add it to the list or skip it if I’m not interested. I like building up a little playlist for however many minutes (showing the queue length is great).

The fatal flaw has always been that radio is limited to my library…

and now it’s exactly what I want!

(there are a couple tweaks I’d propose but I’ll just enjoy what’s there for a while before saying anything)

Thank you for adding this, it’s great.

1 Like

A general feedback point is to have the thumbs up/down always available on the GUI. That feedback mechanism I am sure is critical. As of now, all I am questioned only when I skip a song. Thumbs up would be valuable too, and that is different than no skip.

Very nice improvements though!

Thumbs up is available in the Roon Radio pane and on the Now Playing screen.

Ah, not unless I expand though! They should have it in our faces on every screen IMO.

1 Like

That’s only before you play the song though, right? There’s lots of times I “thumbs down” because I’m just not interested in that song right now (and usually that’s what I choose).

But when a song’s playing, I don’t see any way to tell Roon “I don’t like this”

btw this is my new favorite feature ever:

2 Likes

I don’t find it that intelligent yet. Seems as random to me as before, I regret having to say.

After playing the quiet “When the Saints Go Marching In” by Van Morrison, Roon Radio chose to surprise us with Tin Machine’s noisy “Tin Machine”. It scared the hell out of us, because we turned the volume up to enjoy some laidback music, not expecting it to be mixed with almost metal-like rock.

I can imagine Bowie after Van, but these songs are sooo completely different in style, genre, atmosphere, and volume. Seems to me that Radio still generalizes / randomizes too much and as such still leaves a lot to be desired.

3 Likes

If you skip the song then that adds to the algorithm.

Agree! This is nice. Saves a lot of poking around.

(Only poking around now is if the now playing track is an MQA, “remaster” or “deluxe” version and all you want is the straight up original/vanilla version. First world problems.)

It’s a learning algorithm it will get better over time.

Just checking out the new version. I don’t see any visible differences.

Well based on what the email announcement said, I got very excited but now I’m disappointed.

Overview still limited to the latest 8 LPs and below that is the ‘featured artist’ & ‘featured composer’ crap that I was hoping would go away. Why can’t you just give us some options to set the overview the way we want?

Don’t see any differences when selecting an album either.

I guess I’m becoming grumpy in my old age.

1 Like

If Roon Radio works like Pandora used to (they withdrew service from the UK years ago) I’ll be very happy indeed. Looking forward to trying it out this week :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Fast Forward button or the thumbs down on Now Playing.

I think you should read the release. None of the things you mentioned were included.
Qobuz
Radio
DSP
Now playing
Changes to the above.

gotcha, didn’t realize it was transparent. I didn’t see any message that said skipping reports anything.

actually, I see what’s going on. I add a bunch of Roon Radio tracks to the queue, then turn off radio. When I skip a track, the “why did you skip this” thing doesn’t show up.

2 Likes

I love the new radio functionality.

However, when on the main currently playing screen (iPhone), there’s no indicator that a Tidal selection is playing as opposed to a local library selection. If I go the the Queue option, I can see the Tidal indicator on the tiny album cover.

Isn’t there a way to display the Tidal logo on the larger screen?

Yeah that would actually be my suggestion for improvement – some indication of whether there are more versions of the album available.

If there’s only one version, great, let me add it with one click. But sometimes there are other versions, and the only way to know is to click through.

Maybe we’re the outliers in caring about versions though, I don’t know. In which case the answer is to always click through and see what the options are.

But for me a good compromise would be “add to library” in the case where there’s only one version available, and at least some indication when there are multiple versions available.

But if you really cared which version you were getting wouldn’t you go look each and every time anyway?

1 Like

That’s what I’m doing. So Roon could save me time when there’s only one option.

Not you @PatMaddox but I get the impression some of the users wouldn’t trust that there is it one and go look anyway :wink:

1 Like

Very impressed with Roon Radio. Huge improvement over the previous version.

3 Likes