Roon Radio 1.6 Feedback Thread

The new radio is great! I’ve already found some new things to add to my collection. Great work!

Can I thumbs up the currently playing song on iPhone? I don’t see that anywhere. The only thumbs up / down I see is on the Roon Radio tab for the upcoming song.

Not for the moment, we didn’t overhaul Now Playing on mobile quite yet.

It would be nice if you start the Radio anytime based on a playlist. When you select a playlist, and open the pulldown menu next to Play Now and select Roon Radio, nothing happens.

1 Like

Brian responded to a query about Playlist seeding Roon Radio in the main thread. The button shouldn’t be there and will be removed. Playlists are a bad seed choice because the selection criteria for inclusion in the playlist may have nothing to do with metadata available to the algorithm. For example, a playlist of red haired Artists is unlikely to give a meaningful Roon Radio experience. If a Playlist is genre or Artist based then better to seed off the genre or Artist directly.

Trying to get radio for jungle / drum and bass tunes is pretty bad. I did a “jungle/drum and bass” genre radio and it picked 10 songs that definitely were not DNB before I gave up on it (some of them didn’t even have drums!). Doing radio from an artist / album / track that gets me a DNB song maybe 1/5 times.

Overall I’m finding radio excellent, not sure why it’s having so much trouble with DNB.

2 Likes

The descriptions of the new release indicate a better radio feature. What’s new specifically?

Geez Louise! I am doing exactly the same thing at the moment. Tried seeding from well known D&B names (Grooverider, Ed Rush etc.) but it comes up nothing at all related to break beat music. Similarly to the Punk genre. Spent a few hours last night seeding from Dead Kennedy’s, mostly telling Roon over and over again that Bananarama and Oingo Boingo were not related… Maybe these are edge genre’s that Roon just can’t deal with?

Edit: Having more luck seeding from a local library track that has a Jungle/Drum’n’Bass genre tag only.

3 Likes

Read the release note?

1 Like

A question about the new roon radio (which I love btw) how is determined which version of the track is played?

see print screen: I have the chosen track in my local library (Flac CD qual), Qobuz has it in CD Qual, but Roon radio picked the AAC file from Tidal.

is there any way to make it pick the best qual from the available options?

roon_radio
roon_radio.jpg1026×965 185 KB

Would it not make sense to take best qual from:
First local
then remote (if you have access to the best qual in your subscription tier offcourse)

1 Like

The choice of the track that’s played depends on track equivalence in our database. Even if it looks obvious to a human that the tracks are the same, it’s not necessarily the case that we have marked them as equivalent. We are aware of this issue and have plans to overhaul track equivalence (like we have already done for album and artist equivalence).

5 Likes

I do not like the new Roon Radio. It used to play tracks from my library or from “my” Tidal that were in some unexplained way related to the tracks I had chosen. I liked that because it often reminded me of some music I had not listened to for a while. The new version plays tracks that are related but often are not from my collection - including tracks I would never add, and so I turn Roon off.
I can imagine that the new radio has its fans. Could we have a choice of “internal radio” or “external radio” ?

2 Likes

Ya. If there’s a really low number of Rooners playing this ‘fringe’ stuff (higher chance in the Roon Community, compared to the 100 million strong Spotify Community. And ‘fringe’ in the Roon world even though very popular in the wider world), it seems like it might struggle…

But if you two keep at the D&B category and persist with thumbs up & down, it should slowly improve (I hope).

If nobody in the Roon community listens to a particular selection of your stuff, you may really struggle…

I’m finding the same with electronic music and HipHop… it’s all over the shop.

Still early days of course lol (Day 2).

2 Likes

Options exist here…

Thanks Brian

Hi,

I have got a valid Tidal account and an expired Qobuz account.
Logged in the two services, I can see Qobuz contents, compare existing versions between the services but i’m not able to listen to Qobuz tracks (normal). That’s fine but roon radio tries to start tracks from qobuz and of course skips them.
Is there a way to disable only Qobuz for radio but not Tidal ?
I only see the limit to local library option.

No. You can only enable/disable a service in Roon as a whole, not for different functions in Roon.

Ok ill keep thumbing D&B too then

4 Likes

Feel free to help me out and thumb some electronic (house) and HipHop too :grin:

My Santana and Clapton and George Benson Radio play is covered - no issues with the old stuff (that’s popular with Roon users…)

Hi Carl

Yes you are right, ROON must not call it Roon Radio when its not a RADIO, like a radio station playing stuff, and not stuff from your own harddrives or QbUzz

Strange that Roon does not take this serious. Look at my screenshot, it looks like something from 10 years ago…