Roon Radio 1.6 Feedback Thread

Whilst I’ll be staying with Tidal as its catalogue covers more of my favourite music than Qobuz I still think this update is brilliant.

The Radio now streaming outside of my own library is a huge bonus and the availability of instant feedback to the music chosen is, to me, quite empowering. What I’ve noticed the most however is that my wife is noticing the automatic Radio selections made and enquiring about what’s playing.

In other words a lot of new music is being found and played for us and it’s very enjoyable. Thanks Roon Team.

3 Likes

I did that today too and pretty much got your exact selections as well! A rather bad experience for one of my most anticipated features of Roon.
Pop/Rock is such a broad genre, and yet some of the radio’s choices were stuff that were clearly neither Pop nor Rock, but jazz, country, and world music.
And like David said, a lot of repetitions from the same albums too.
The radio also didn’t seem to cater to my personal taste. I was sure that because Roon has known my listening history for a few years now that the algorithm would already come packed with personalized information about me. I sure hope that the learning algorithm will adjust itself quickly.
I also noticed that in some use cases where in 1.5 you could choose a group of content and either choose “shuffle” or “start radio”, in 1.6 you can only choose “shuffle”. For example when my selection is my entire library.

Yep, I love this feature for building up an upcoming playlist. The problem is the thumbs up / down looks like a vote when it really just means add it to the queue (I think). Brian mentioned in the main thread that they’re considering changing the icons for that case.

1 Like

I assume you’re using an iphone? I asked the exact same question earlier in this thread and they said they haven’t added that feature to iPhone yet.

Pretty nice update but a couple of issues. Most troubling is the app is sent to background on ipad when listening to internet radio, and only internet radio. Music plays but only way to get back in is to close streamer and restart.

Also seems to have more lag than previous version.

I’ve noticed a few times it played a Tidal stream version instead of an album I own in my library “Aerosmith - Rocks” and today I have the Tidal MQA version of “Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star” added to my library, but it decided to stream the CD version not in my library… one more from last night that I forget exactly the song.

1 Like

Is the last option supposed to be there ? @support

No it is a bug.

Ah asked before then. Hard to keep track these days :grinning:

1 Like

True, so true.

1 Like

Hi @Dick_Vliek - Thanks for the report, I can confirm that button should not be there.
I have submitted your report to QA.

– Noris

1 Like

Doesn’t happen for me, either when I’m playing to the iPad itself (headphones) or playing to another zone.

In any case, even if it is sent to background, you should be able to bring it back b6 dragging up halfway from the bottom, will show you the app switcher and you can select Roon

The workflow to start Roon Radio could use a little work, I think. If you hear a song and you like it, and want to start Radio from this seed, which must be a common use scenario, then you have to click over to the album and then scroll down to the track, then click on the track and start Radio.

But that starts the song over too. So the only way to use the current track as the radio seed is not actually to do that at all, but to surf to that song in the tracklist for the album and restart the song to initiate Radio.

Should be able to start Radio from the current track…

5 Likes

Sorry. I have absolutely no idea what this means. How do I I set up a queue using thumbs up/down?

Hi Tony,

When Roon Radio is active and you hit the thumbs up button in the Roon Radio window (as distinct from the Now Playing screen) then that suggested track will be transferred to the Queue. You can fill up the Queue by hitting thumbs up for suggested tracks a number of times.

You can then add other Tracks from your library, reorder, turn it into a Playlist or do any of the other things you can do with the Queue.

2 Likes

Thanks Andy,

Struggling with the UI changes I must say. Truely awful. That aside I think I must be doing something wrong with radio. I actually got a Qobuz subscription to experiment but I’m finding it very repetitive and narrow in the choices? That seems to be opposite to the general experience here. It’s not unpleasant and roon is much better at maintaining a mood than in the past and I find I don’t switch it off like I used to but it’s like listening to Radio 1 when I want to listen to John Peel. Lowest common denominator it seems to me when I want to learn something new. There is also just the technical aspect of the repetitions. I just tried seeding with a Lloyd Cole track for example and now I get Lloyd Cole every 4/5 tracks. Crowded House and Prefab Sprout make perfect sense in that context as well. But they are also being repeated. I was hoping to be challenged with something more contemporary I didn’t know and wouldn’t have chosen. Maybe I’ll get more surprises if I start with something I don’t know but I don’t know how I would do that?

I must say I much prefer the UI and discovery tools of Quobuz so that has been quite an eye opener. I used to religiously collect the CD’s on Gramophone and stopped buying it when the CD’s went. I now find that in the modern world that is a monthly playlist on Qobuz.

After starting Roon Radio off with Marc Antoine from my library, I having pure enjoyment from Roon Radio listening to tracks I’ve never heard. Great job guy’s!!

I do have a couple of questions, though.
When Roon Radio is playing, why doesn’t the main album art change automatically to the current album/artist?
Also, how can I get to the Now Playing screen below?
59%20PM
as shown in the email I received about v1.6?
Am I simply missing something?

Thank you very much,
Joseph

First, in order to get that Now Playing screen with Adele, you click on the album in the footer (true for both radio and regular play). To get back, you click on the down arrow in the center at the bottom.

This is the display that changes as you play radio (or a regular queue or playlist). The album you are looking at, if you have clicked on an album, doesn’t change because it doesn’t represent what you are playing, it’s just an album you ar3 look8ng at, maybe to play it tomorrow, or buy it, or delete it.

1 Like

Okay, just figured out how to get the screen I was asking about. Can I set the Album Artwork as my default instead of choosing either Composers and Performers, Album Review, Artist Bio or using the L/R arrows?

Still haven’t figured out how to have the next selection (Playing Now) show.
Still shows the previously played selection?

Thank you.
Just posted right before your explanation. Now I understand why, appreciate it!!!