Roon Radio Limited to Library causing Unexpected Error and Windows Blue Screen

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10.0.186363, Lenovo Yoga 920 i7 8550 CPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Roon 1.7, Build 528

**Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
USB C thunderbolt port connected to Gig Ethernet via Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2 docking station

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Ethernet connection to Linn Akurate DSM

Description Of Issue
Roon Radio limited to Library message appeared. Tried to debug. Followed suggestions on support forum, e.g., rebooting Roon and PC and logging out and then back into Tidal. on PC reboot got windows cant load blue screen error - the first time I have seen this error (believe it or not!) on my so far flawless PC that I have owned for ~1 1/2 yrs. Had to reboot several times to get past that error, then rebooted Roon again. Logged out/in to Tidal. Played tracks on Tidal, then switched to Library and played a track and waited to turn on Roon Radio, as it was finishing track got a red “unexpected error” message from Roon about room radio limitation and then the message stayed at the lower right hand side of the queue. I cleared queue each time I did this.
Very disappointed as I am in my trial stage - and have been thinking about using roon for some time and really want this to work flawlessly…am even considering purchase of a roon nucleus - but this basic feature bringing down my pc is very concerning. How can you help?
Thank you.

Sometimes Tidal connection errors are related to DNS issues; and setting your DNS to 8.8.8.8 (or 1.1.1.1) can help the issue.

Not support, just a friendly (and hopefully helpful) user.

Hi @Philip_Minasian,

First, I want to note that Roon can not cause a Blue Screen error like the one you saw. What we have seen, though, is that Roon might use drivers on the machine that can cause this type of issue if there are any issues with those drivers. We would recommend making sure that Windows and all drivers, graphics and audio drivers specifically, are fully up to date.

Regarding the Roon Radio issue — Can you elaborate a bit on your current network setup? What router is in use? Are you using any switches?

I assiduously keep my machine updated with driver and firmware updates using Lenovo’s trusty apps, and also do same using Windows update. As I said, I have not seen this blue screen issue before, so something absolutely caused it related to this Roon issue.

My network setup has a Verizon quantum router connected to a netgear ethernet switch (for expansion) which connects to a secondary router in my listening room that I use both as a wireless access point and as ethernet expansion. I have my Linn DSM connected there, and am temporarily connecting the core there (although eventually that’ll be adjacent to my primary router once I get a dedicated core, whether nucleus or not). The secondary router and the Linn both have static IP address assignments within the private network. The core PC I am currently using has a dynamic assignment. I also have my NAS (where all my music is, also statically assigned) connected directly to the Verizon Router’s ethernet port.

Hope that answers your question. Basically pretty vanilla setup, have never had any problems network / ethernet wise.

Hi @Philip_Minasian,

Outside of Roon Radio is TIDAL/Qobuz content working okay? Are you able to navigate to those albums and start playback without issue?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.