Roon Radio only plays from library again

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Gigabyte Brix BSi7HA-6500 OS Euphony Roon Build 512

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Netgear nighthawk router, EtherRegen, ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
NUC endpoint Euphony StylusEP, usb to Ayre QX-5 Twenty.

Description Of Issue
Roon Radio only picks tracks from library, although it’s set not to do so. Earlier today same issue, earlier this week too.

Restarting Roon core and login again on Tidal and Qobuz did the trick but only after trying two or three times.

Just now Radio is again limited to own library. What can I do to prevent this behavior, with stable results?

Thanks.

I get this quite frequently as well. But it usually it has something to do with the tracks being a minority taste that roon doesn’t have enough metadata to match with tracks on the streaming service. What exactly were the radio “seed” tracks that caused this issue? If you can’t remember, what style of music do you normally listen to?

Hi Tony @Tony_Casey

I play mostly jazz, these days. In the last case it was a new album from Logan Richardson (from my Qobuz library). It’s wrongly labeled as vocal jazz, as well as - correct - jazz. Nothing special as a genre. Roon radio came up with a lot of vocal jazz tracks from the 40s to 2019. They didn’t fit at all, but that’s not relevant in this case. What is relevant is that there’s a lot of jazz and vocal jazz out there, beyond my library, and Radio didn’t pick one of them.

I can fix it, as I wrote before, but it’s not supposed to be fixed that often.

@support, what can I do?

An interesting example. In my territory I have 4 Logan Richardson albums on Qobuz. Three of them seem to work as seeds for roon radio but “Shift” doesn’t. Strange, as I would say that album was the one with the most meta-data.

I also see that roon has categorised Logan Richardson as similar to Donny McCaslin and Ambrose Akinmusire, so why doesn’t the roon algorithm pick up there? I tried a few random tracks from those artists and radio worked fine. All these artists including Logan Richardson are making a lot of appearances on others albums and seem to work a lot on studio sessions so you would have thought there were plenty of cross-links for roon to work with.

I too would be interested in some insights here from roon as radio and discovery are my favorite features so anything that tightened them up or made them more solid and relevant would be great.

Hi Marc (@Bluebeat),

Which Logan Richardson album did you experience this behavior on?

I tried playing the Logan Richardson album that @Tony_Casey noted (Shift) and I’m noticing similar behavior on my end. This could be due to not having enough metadata links on this particular album.

Was this the problematic album on your end as well? I tried starting Roon Radio off of “Her” and it seems to be working as expected.

Hi @noris,

The album by Logan Richardson was Cerebral Flow. It was just an example. The problem is simply that Radio picks only tracks from my library, nothing else, not from Tidal, not from Qobuz. Just now the same behaviour after playing Max Mon Amour, by Michel Portal. I could find more examples, but it is strange that Radio can come up with other music, but only from my library, nothing beyond that.

This afternoon I played something from Lucinda Williams, Radio came up quickly enough with tracks which were not part of my library.

Hi @Bluebeat,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you here.

I was able to start Roon Radio off of these albums without any issues on my end. You don’t by any chance have “Limit Roon Radio to Library” turned on in the settings for your zone? Having this switch turned on could explain this behavior, and I believe this switch is on a per-zone basis.

Hi @noris

No, that was most certainly turned off. Maybe that after a track or 20 or so a non-library track would have emerged, but as I said before, with those albums Radio limited it’s choices to my library.
When other examples turn up, I’ll let you know.

Thanks

Marc

Hi @Bluebeat,

Thanks for confirming that the switch was not enabled. If you do have more examples to share, please do let me know, if you can also provide the time + date + track at the time of occurrence that would be useful in case we have to dive deeper and take a look at logs.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.