Roon Radio: Why on earth would I want to hear a highly compressed file?

Why on earth would I want to hear a highly compressed file, when I have the CD rip in my collection? (and I assume better versions are available online too)

1 Like

Yikes. I don’t think I’d even call that highly compressed. I’d call it incorrectly encoded. There is no good or justifiable reason I can think of to convert what I assume is a Red Book audio (16bit/44.1kHz) music source to 22kHz, which cuts off any frequencies above 11kHz. Maybe for spoken word only but even then, there are better ways to do that. I wonder what on earth is happening there?

I was triggered by the bad sound to find out whether something strange was going on… :thinking:

Luckily, Roon is already on this. Ticket in! :rofl:

1 Like

@Bill_Janssen
I think you forgot the :upside_down_face: emoji. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, I fixed that! :grin:

It’s not clear from that thread, but there are indications at the end that one of the sufferers was using an older version of ffmpeg on their NAS, and that updating it fixed the problem?

Roon server is installed on Ubuntu 22.04, so I assume it’s up-to-date.

The aac bit aside, Roon Radio is based on algorithm and metadata equivalency. In this case it likely that this release of Boys & Girls is not the same as the one you have locally so it won’t play your local version. Unless you own the exact same release of the album the track is on, it wont ever play your local version of a track. Right or wrong this is how radio works I am afraid it picks its choices from streaming first and this is the version it has to match to. It performs an equivalence match if not matched exactly it will play the streaming version initially found.

The aac bit is the most problematic issue, if you ask me…