Roon Ready integration with Oppo Digital

Gotcha… To get rid of the Mac mini just I didn’t make sense… But, how is SQ affected by this method rather than the USB DAC input? (I’m just trying to understand endpoints more rather than a direct connection of the Mac to the dac).

There those that would argue that the computer us too noisy connected via USB and that is picked up in the DAC. Ether net directly to the Dac eliminates that.

I see, worth checking out to see if I hear a difference… On the downside right now using the USB DAC input I do not need to turn the TV on, it’s a simple input switch, done and iPad with Splashtop (soon iOS remote). My fear is with this method it will not be as easy to configure and I’ll have to navigate the Oppo home screen and than multiple steps involving the network. I don’t like using TV to listen to music. (I could be wrong and maybe it could be set up just a simple as input switching).

Actually the gial.is to use your iPad or computer to do the choosing and browsing and the music would be sent from storage to dac. No tv involved.

1 Like

Inclusion of the BDP-83 in this, whilst unexpected, would be welcome.

2 Likes

You wont be able to kill the Mac Mini. Unlike UPnP, all that is done in Roon requires a centralized “brain”, the Core.

The Oppo can’t be your Roon Core, but it can be your endpoint if it was RoonSpeakers enabled. It moves your audio processing out of the Mac Mini, but doesn’t eliminate the need for the long-lived Core.

And when it happens I for one will be delighted. Trying to keep a stable smb connection between my NAS and Mac then back to my Oppo BDP 105D will be the breaking of me.

@robtodd - ugh, that sounds miserable… getting that stable shouldn’t be difficult… if you want to open up a new topic for just some assistance with that, I’m sure the team can help out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

been lurking awhile, about time I joined in the fun :wink:
have to +1 Oppo endpoint
would be ideal solution for me, and I could speculate many others too.

plus I can get Roon on a 130 inch screen :grinning:

I may be wrong but Roon would not be running on your Oppo so it won’t shown up on your 130" TV (unless your PC is connected to the TV) it would just be using the dac in the Oppo and Roon would still need to run on your computer.

You are correct. With the iOS app or Android the tablet option comes into the equation. Either mirror to the TV or hold the tablet very close to the face.

1 Like

Question. Turning the Oppo 105 into an endpoint, should that allow native playback of DSD? As of now the USB DAC input does not allow DSD, it converts it to PCM. But, if you attached a USB storage drive it will playback DSD, but from everything I’ve tried it has never done gapless playback. (I believe Oppo has been trying to improve this with firmware upgrades, but I’ve never got it working with DSD and FLAC files).

I don’t see why not, but, we haven’t dug into the specific implementation details of this piece of hardware yet, so this is partly conjecture on my part.

RoonSpeakers is capable of conveying a DSD stream to the device. Once it’s there, it’s up to a vendor-specific bit of code to pass that stream on to the audio hardware. It would stand to reason that if they can do this with files, they can probably take a DSD stream from us and play that, too.

It’s been quite a while on Oppo integration. Is there any progress here?
Thanks.
Rob.

They sent us some gear to test and build with, but this is awaiting RoonSpeakers release.

That’s promising. Thanks for replying Danny.

Looks like Roon Speaker Protocol will be a huge step!

Hopefully you’re working with their HA-1 DAC/Headphone amp in addition the the BDP-105/103.

Bill

I’m not sure that it is possible as isn’t it just a DAC? So I’m not sure how this would work… May be wrong though.

All,

Update on how the Roon integration with Oppo is progressing?