Roon Ready integration with Oppo Digital

@Danny Have we progressed with Roon integration with Oppo?

Is this even in the pipeline?

@alice ā€“ USB works. Networked support is in their hands, not ours.

Is there an update on this team?

Not that Iā€™m aware of, you could try having a peek at the Oppo forum.

I emailed Oppo this week asking if Roon will be part of the BDP 105D. The reply:

The oppo logo is under the roon tested partners, which device has been roon tested?

Thanks for sharing Rob, I hope Oppo do manage to get RAAT running on their BDP devices ā€¦ it would make for a good networked solution for many.

For me if it were limited to 2 channel support Iā€™d not gain much, as I already have a hi-end network endpoint, however multichannel ā€¦ now that would put a huge grin on my face.

The reply from Oppo is a little frustrating taking into account the information on the Roon partners pages which has certainly given me the impression that the BDP 105 is not an if but when device.

Roon Tested is described here: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_partner_programs

Roon Tested will not give you network access to the Oppo. You can see what the story with the Oppo tested devices here: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Partner_Devices_Matrix

It looks like we have have BDP-105, and it does indeed work via USB.

As for becoming Roon Ready (getting RAAT capable), that is in their hands.

Is anyone using a BD-105 as USB DAC? Is there a reliable way to select USB as an audio input without firing up a video display, i.e. a discrete IR or RS232 command?

I have a BD-95, which does not have DAC input capabilities. I can play audio stored on a local network with it but since I use a projector when I watch a video, this capability has never been particularly useful. Being able to use it with Roon, especially as a networked player (but I wonā€™t hold my breath waiting for that to happen) would be a big incentive for me to upgrade to the 105. However, if there isnā€™t a reliable way to program a Harmony remote to turn it on and select the right source (not just by toggling from the state it assumes it starts from) itā€™s a bit of a non-starter for me. I assume asking them for a discrete source command in the next firmware release would be like talking to the Borg, based on the responses I and other users here have gotten from them.

Below is my setup, with RPI2 and OPPO BDP-105. Iā€™ve used RoonBridge with various of tools to automatically turn on BDP and set correct input.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/home-automation/6897/11

3 Likes

thanks for sharing, very interesting set up. I currently use my Oppo to access music files directly from the folders on my NAS via ethernet. Would be interesting to see if I can get the Roon Server app installed on my NAS to recognise Oppo if connected via usb directly to the NAS.

Thanks for the reply. I did take a look at the Oppo RS232 command set documentation you linkedā€¦ It looks relatively straightforward to use the device running Roon Bridge to send the command. That will definitely inform my decision to upgrade the player to a newer model.

I donā€™t think Iā€™d ideally use a Pi though. As has been pointed out the USB is limited. Whereas using spdif, ironically, the Oppoā€™s sampling rate is more limited.

Of course, rather than selecting an input, Iā€™d prefer to select RAAT as an application (similar to selecting Netflix, etc.) But thereā€™s no indication thatā€™s coming soon, if ever.

Is ther a possibility that Oppo BDP-105 will be roon ready?

Hi Tor,
I moved your question into this existing topic.
Have a read of it to get a feel for the current situation re Oppo.

This is the last post from Roon (9th May 2016)

Iā€™d suggest contacting Oppo directly, the more users to request Oppo support RAAT the better.

1 Like

Here is the response Iā€™ve had from Oppo today when I asked them about Roon and the BDP105ā€¦

[quote]Nick,

Roon is definitely something that we are looking into, but we do not know at this time when or if we can add this technology through a future firmware release.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119[/quote]

That would be so cool if they could get it working!

I work on and off with the local Oppo distributor here and he made a mention of it to his contacts in Oppo so will see what happensā€¦interesting the response he got to the question I think went along the lines of ā€œwhat is Roonā€ so not sure where any of the past thread has landed.

They did just announce a new 4K player thoā€¦and the current 103/105 machines now have some DIY apps to rip SACD to DSD - Google for that if you like.

Not everyone is as clued in as everyone else :slight_smile:

I wouldnā€™t make the assumption that everyone in the company knows whatā€™s going on.

It seems is not really at the agenda. I contact them recently and their answer is vague unfortunatelly.