Roon Ready integration with Oppo Digital

The sonica range and newly announced sonica dac would be good candidates. I think they support Apple airplay but I would like to see RAAT supported natively.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen the user manual. Airplay is covered, but nothing about RAAT.

Iā€™ve read the manual tooā€¦but I think they are probably in development still if even that far yetā€¦fingers x it will be soon tho that we get some news

With so much reliant on software these days such features can be added later.

Any update on this topic, about which Roon is able to speak?

While waiting for my Oppo 203 ( in December ) I e-mailed them and they said that they had no plans to support MQA at this time but that it could change in future .

1 Like

Iā€™m more interested in sending multi channel audio over the network from Roon to my Oppo than MQA

1 Like

+1

I just got into Roon recently and was hoping to use a Sonore device to send multichannel to my Oppo 105, but unfortunately it turns out that the USB DAC is only stereo :frowning:

Since you can play high resolution multichannel Flacs just fine with the Oppoā€™s (crappy) network browser or through a USB stick, I have my fingers crossed that Roon can find a way to unlock the multichannel potential of the Oppo.

2 Likes

When I asked them about ROon and mch stuff about 2 weeks ago, they replied that roon is not on their list. However they also said they were investigating it .

I also asked if the new oppo 205 would accept mch audio via USB, but they said that the usb input would be limited to stereo. I think they would do mch for network streaming or external HDD or recorded on disc media

It would be realy great if USB input was multichannel capable. Maybe a future firmware ugrade can make that happen if enough people ask for it .

I asked the Oppo official rep over at Head-Fi about Roon, just a couple of days ago, and here is his reply:

[quote]
ROON is also being looked into, but I have my doubts that it will ever be added to any of our product line due to a general lack of support we have received from system integration and streaming service partners.[/quote]

I get the impression they think Roon is a ā€œstreaming serviceā€.

You have to use the HDMI input to get the 105 to process multi-channel. As you noted, the player knows what to do with multichannel files with its own browser (network or locally attached) or when pushed to the HDMI input. The USB inout doesnā€™t do MCH. On another thread, Iā€™ve been imploring the folks from Sonore to figure out a way to activate the HDMI port of the Sonic Orbiter, but they donā€™t get it.

Is it possible to use a macmini as an hdmi endpoint and use it to feed OPPO s HDMI input. Does Oppo accept mch audio bitstream from hdmi.

Yes. Iā€™ve done it.

1 Like

Yep I currently have a NUC into my Oppo via HDMI due to running out of inputs on my receiver and it works a treat !

does Oppo accept native multichannel dsd signal

There is definitely demand for an Oppo Roon endpoint: http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/48977/oppo-uhd-203?page=5

Hmm whatā€™s the last poster saying in that thread? The Oppo 203 can act as a Squeeze Box endpoint?

I canā€™t see any mention of that in the manual here: http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP203/UDP-203_USER_MANUAL_ENGLISH_V1.0.pdf

Oh the same gentleman also says:

" it does have a Squeeze Server Endpoint! It found my local Squeeze Server and listed it under its ā€œNetworkā€ tab. So Iā€™m guessing that the UDP-203 can be used for listening to my very large FLAC collection. Interesting because this isnā€™t advertised at all on their web page or their manual. "

Has anyone tried this? If so, then itā€™s a Roon endpoint, with Squeeze box mode enabled in Roon Server ! :slight_smile:

I, too, am curious. I have an Oppo UDP-203 on the same subnet as my Roon core. But I did not find a way to enable Squeezebox support between the two. If anyone can advise, I will be happy to experiment and troubleshoot.

AJ

Andrew, if no one here has had any luck, it might be worth asking that gentlemen in that other forum, that has his Oppo 203 acting as a Squeeze Server Endpoint. Of course I hope someone can jump in here.

I have an Oppo 103 and would be happy to upgrade to the 203 if this is indeed the case.

You have enabled Squeeze Box support in Roonā€™s settings and when you go to the Audio tab in Roon, you donā€™t see the Oppo 203 as an endpoint?