ROON Ready network player DAC with MQA, 32 bit 768kHz and DSD 512 native around 8k. A wired network will be preferable

If you decide to use a non-MQA DAC, set it to No MQA Support. You can still upsample further if you want to. For details see this:

1 Like

Holo is a nice DAC…the MAY is the latest iteration.

Terminator (+) from Denafrips too is great but you might have used more of your budget for that option. But Denafrips have lesser options too.

Gotta say I love the Lumin’s in my setups, 2 x D1 and a D2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

@wizardofoz I agree, I used off most of my budget, Had to stretch to accomodate the MAY KTE version. I had a chat with the folks of the Denafripis too. Somehow the HOLO had more impact on me. :slight_smile:

i was actually planning to go for chord M-Scalar & TT2 … It was a good thing that i posted in the forum… I’m so grateful to everyone.

2 Likes

Both are well respected and I know a few owners of each. I’m a bit of an R2R fan myself with 2 Soekris DAM1021 based dacs.

Enjoy. Try the other U1 connection options too.

If you want I2S maybe try a denafrips IRIS DDC

1 Like

May be in the near future… Currently, I already placed an order from audiogon.com for an U1.

I would also recommend looking at the Matrix products.
I picked up an Element M last week.
Fantastic piece of kit across; build quality, functionality, ease of use / integration and most of all it sounds absolutely killer.
I will definately consider more of their gear on my next box replacement.

1 Like

Also Cocktail Audio X45 Pro

2 Likes

I use the PS Audio DS sr dac. The Roon server is in another room and use ethernet to connect to the dac. Got rid of my Mcintosh preamp and use XLR from the dac straight into the BHK amp.

1 Like

TEAC NT 505 might suit

Hello @wklie Peter, I guess I can connect 2 DAC’s to the 2 USB o/p’s; If my assumption is correct, how does ROON behave if one of the DAC is MQA certified and the other is not? Does both the DAC’s show up in the Audio section of the Roon or Just the U1?

Sorry for the noob questions.

No the USB outputs are for one DAC and one SSD/HDD only it wont support 2 DAC’s at least not at the same time, maybe if one is powered off it could see the other one, but officially only one DAC is supported. And even if another DAC is connected via the non USB outputs and a USB is connected too, it is noted there will timing issues as I was told.

1 Like

hi @wizardofoz, thank you for the info. I will have two DAC’s and I was hoping to use the 2 USB ports of U1; Of course, I won’t use them simultaneously. It would be awesome if that was possible.

I had the same assumption which Peter cleared up for me and as a result I opted to not purchase a 2nd hand U1 Mini - it seems the Lumin’s all only support one USB DAC connected at a time.

The T2 and maybe S1/X1 allow for selection of non USB outputs as a second DAC but I think this is only supported in the Lumin App and maybe wont be available to Roon App.
@wklie but maybe can enlighten us all on this and it its cast in stone or something that is possible to change in firmware.

No. Only one USB DAC is supported from Lumin U1 (MINI) if a USB DAC is detected. If you connect the other USB port to another USB DAC which is completely powered off and not detected, then it need not be disconnected.

If USB output is not used, it can support up to four DACs via AES / BNC / coaxial / toslink outputs.

But these 4 DAC’s or outputs all play the same content if I understood your message to me.

T2 and X1 output can be selected as either analog, BNC-SPDIF or USB output. Only one is active. It can only be chosen in Lumin app.

That is correct. U1 (MINI) can output to 4 non-USB DAC playing the same content, or output to one USB DAC.

1 Like

My Lumin U1 is here… @wklie:blush: HOLO yet to arrive in 2 - 3 weeks I guess. We three can then live happily forever… ahhahahahahah… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is it possible to buy a 220 V power supply unit separately for U1? I have a 110 v, and I might have to travel to APAC for an extended period.

Does the Lumin act as a NAA endpoint?

@wklie is the best person to answer this question?