Roon really needs profile management at this point

It’s a bit more complicated than that. However, I agree that there’s room for improvement…

Thanks Geoff I appreciate you pointing me to that. I didn’t realize tags and playlists were by profile. That is something. Doesn’t solve security issues but at least I can tell my kids they can make playlists. Profiles should probably be PW protected…

1 Like

Lol! Funnily enough that’s her suggestion too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see this has been discussed before, but as a new user I’d like to echo feedback that the current profile management feature is really primitive. Now that I am more established as an individual user of Roon I was thinking of rolling this out for the whole household, but I’m disappointed with the functionality on offer, a bit of a let-down given the price.

Seems to be an obvious need to have a library view that is aligned to the profile, and for master settings to be locked out? I was expecting there would be a quick shortcut for being able to hide an artist/album I have no interest in, that would be linked to each profile, in effect creating a “My Music” view for each profile. But it looks like we have to use a clunky Focus filter to do this?

I’m afraid we do.

All we know is that there is a major UI re-design in the pipeline (where it’s been for a couple of years now) and that the shortcomings of the current profile system are known by the Roon team. I suppose you could extrapolate that the two may be connected, but that’s a guess, and we won’t know until some future version of Roon finally emerges, blinking, into the light.

Is this still actual? I am a newbie, just signed up and trying to get the account for my 9 yr old daughter up and running; as you can imagine, I don’t want to mix the two… :grimacing:

1 Like

It seems that you need to create separate profiles:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Profiles

And it seems that everybody’s daughter is 9. Troublemakers I say! :grin:

1 Like

Sure but creating separate profiles is a sugar pill. Does very little that is useful. Yes it allows separate tags and playlists but it is the same library, same administrative control, same everything else.

Yes, separate IDs that have these bells and whistles would be a complex product. But then again Roon is priced to imply that kind of capability.

3 Likes

Totally agree James - that is really glossing over what people really need.

Not really, Roon makes it clear that in order to have that functionality new licenses are required. Does that seem reasonable? Certainly not to me, but that appears to be their business model.

They certainly could offer a family discount option. Perhaps a number of licences in a family for a reasonable additional fee.

1 Like

We can agree to disagree. I’ve said my piece on the price of Roon versus other products. Roon is definitely more sophisticated in many ways…but I believe that for that price, a whole house ought to be supported fully, within reason. They call it a whole house solution but it’s a whole house solution for one person in the house. It is really a “multi-room solution for a single user” right now.

I believe Roon will get there. They must be working on something big, there not being a huge issue they are damage controlling right now.

3 Likes

haha, yes - soon to be 10 … :scream: But kidding aside… it would be a most welcome addition.

For sure bas and to quote James above:

Which unreasonably confines the music to a single user or requires unsatisfactory ‘workarounds’ for families.

Cheers.

Haha I asked for the exact same thing 5 YEARS ago… my daughter is turning 12

Perhaps when she goes of to university it will be implimented ?

Hide albums per profile/user

2 Likes

…and strangely enough there is the possibility to “add profiles” so that suggests that they aimed for multi-user capabilities from the start, but it just looks poorly implemented.

I’d say “superficially” rather than “poorly” as it doesn’t even do enough to criticize.

1 Like

Not implemented at all. It just shows the „intention“. And that since 3 years…

O look another topic many years old and no work done on what is 100% a core feature and likely a security issue.

Is Roon actually dead at this point?

3 Likes