Roon regularly hangs. Requires restart

Roon Core Machine

2.0 Server (1311) on Windows 11
12GB RAM DDR4
i5 2.4Ghz
512GB SSD
Local library is on an external USB3 drive.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

CommScope CGM4331SHW TG4482 router/modem from ISP in Bridge mode
Archer AX55
Ethernet to core

Connected Audio Devices
MicroRendu - Ethernet
Chord 2Go - Ethernet or 2.4G
Pi4 HifiBerry - Ethernet
KEF LSX II - 5G
iPhone 13 iOS 17 - 5G
Hiby New R6 Android 9 - 2.4G
I generally shut down endpoints not in use.

Number of Tracks in Library
~100,000

Description of Issue

Roon begins to hang after about 2 days of use.
It affects all endpoints.
When this is happening music stops.
Controls on the now playing screen are non-responsive.
My queue empties (but it restores after hang stops)
Search shows pulsating Roon icon and/or I can’t directly select any music from any source: Tidal Qobuz or Local.
If I’m on the Home Screen below recent activity I see the pulsating Roon icon.

This can last anywhere from about 15 seconds to a few minutes at which point functionally resumes.
Or it seems to hang indefinitely and requires a restart which resolves the issue temporarily.
This usually happens after one track stops playing before the next one starts but will sometimes occur as music is playing.

Please advise. Thanks.

Edit to add I thought maybe I was running out of RAM but I’ve checked a couple of times and Roon was using about 7GB of my 12GB with Task Manager showing 88% of Ram in use.
I’ve had roughly the same number of tracks in my Library on this same PC for a couple years but this issue is recent.

What version of Windows are you using on your Core? Not just W11, but the version and build number. Have you checked that all your drivers are up to date (video, network, etc.)? How much free space is on your 512 GB drive? I am thinking this may be a RAM issue with 100K files, but want to check the other areas also.

It’s Windows 11 Home
Version 22H2
OS Build 22621.2428
Drivers are updated.
System drive has 333GB free space.

I upgraded to WIN11 about 2 weeks ago.
The issue occurred on WIN10 as well.

I see in my Roon Logs repeated instances of:

Warn: FTMSI-B qo/F34E2D20: block downloaded too much time locked

I don’t know it that’s relevant.

Thanks for your help.

Here is a similar thread with that warning message:

It may be the metadata updater. The OP stopped and restarted the Roon Server application which apparently resolved the issue. Not sure that is an option for you Jeff.

Who do you use as your DNS provider?

Thanks for the link.
I’ll have a look.

I’m using Cloudflare for DNS.

After a server restart things behave as expected for a day or two but it eventually starts happening again.

Hi @Placebophile,

Thank you for your patience as we looked into this case.

Available diagnostics, combined with a quick review of some other post history concerning Qobuz connectivity, point to a connectivity issue between your own RoonServer machine and Qobuz’s servers. The developers would like to investigate why network reachability events might cause a recoverable hang - the symptoms differ from any known issue - so we’re hoping you can provide the following at your convenience:

1. An approximate timestamp of the next hang/crash event
  2. A quick test - are you able to reproduce this with streaming services disabled entirely?
  3. Do you have any playback issues with streaming services, like playback failures due to media loading slowly in Qobuz or similar?

Thank you!

Hi @connor Thanks for your reply.

Following your suggestion I disconnected Qobuz.
I have not had this issue since.
Should it happen again I’ll provide date and time info as requested.

Earlier I mentioned I’ve been running this same Core rig for about 2 years and it only began hanging recently. It’s occurred to me that the hangs likely began after I added Qobuz as I’ve only had it for a few months.
So it seems Qobuz connectivity is the cause.
But to clarify: It would hang playing Tidal or local files as well. Or it would hang when searching or browsing Roon without music playing.

To your other question: I’ve never had issues streaming various video services or Tidal and Apple Music using their native apps on several devices and/or Apple TVs.
I haven’t used the Qobuz apps often but didn’t have issues.

As I had Qobuz strictly for Roon and it seems to break functionality I’ve cancelled my subscription.
But if I can help troubleshoot this, as it seems to affect others as well, I’ll resubscribe.
Let me know.

Update:
I had Qobuz removed for about 3 weeks.
No hangs or other performance issues.
I added Qobuz again this week.
I signed up for a new account to start fresh thinking perhaps if there were less items in my Qobuz library it might minimize my issue.
As soon as I connected Qobuz my endpoint disappeared from Roon.
A restart of Roon brought it back.
Within a few hours Roon would occasionally significantly slow down when searching or browsing or hang.
When it does I see the animated Roon icon for 15-180 seconds or longer.
So far it recovers without a restart.
I’m also getting occasional momentary dropouts including with Tidal or local files.
It seems a restart of Roon brings it back to speed but by the end of the day it’s hanging again.

Last hang was on Nov 28 1:10am PST.

Edit:
In summary: Removing Qobuz solved the issue.
Re-adding Qobuz brought it back.
With Qobuz added Roon repeatedly, but not always, hangs when searching or browsing whether or not music is playing.
If music is playing (from any source) there are occasional dropouts or if it hangs long enough music will stop playing.
Since re-adding Qobuz it will eventually recover from the hang. Previously I’d sometimes have to restart Roon to recover

Update to keep thread alive.
I’m currently using Qobuz and have Tidal disconnected.
I’ve gotten into the habit of restarting Roon each morning.
It’s hanging far less often. I’ve only had 3-4 hangs in the last month.
I forgot to note the times this happens. :sweat_smile:
Will update again with timestamp of next hang.

Things have been going generally well but today January 19 at about 7:45 PM PST
I had a hang that required a restart of Roon to recover from.

Not sure if related but maybe an hour before the hang I manually edited a few albums and manually identified some.
I also deleted a Qobuz album from my library today, I think at about the same time I was doing the edits.

Edit: I’m not 100% sure at what time this happened.
But the album I was listening to was Dub Songs From A Shallow Grave by Controlled Bleeding - if that helps when parsing logs.

1 Like

Hi @Placebophile,

The tech support has been investigating this case behind the scenes. To keep our responses less atomized and reduce the risk of reports or threads slipping through the cracks, we’ll be investigating this issue in the open thread with @benjamin here: Discover has stopped working again

We suspect the symptoms are related. Please stand by and we’ll follow up as soon as possible with more information.

1 Like