Roon remote 1.8 legacy not connecting to ROCK NUC running Roon 1.8

I am running ROCK on an Intel NUC
Operating System Version 1.0 (build 227) stable
Roon Server Software Version 1.8 (build 988) stable

I control the Core on the NUC using Roon on my windows 10 PC. It has worked fine for many months.

Today I clicked “update all” on Roon on the PC.

The Roon remote on the PC is then updated to Roon 2.0 but the ROCK cannot update to 2.0.

So, I download the 1.8 legacy for Roon remote and install it on the Windows PC.

Then I follow the instructions at the Roon 1.8 <-> 2.0 Migration FAQ to downgrade the Core to 1.8.

Now the Roon remote on the PC cannot connect to the Core

. But I can still control the Core from Roon remote on my android phone, which has not been updated.

1 Like

You didn’t need to do that.

I had the same problem with my ROCK. A reboot fixed it.

I know I did not need to do it. I just clicked update because I like to keep my software updated and no one told me my ROCK would not work with Roon 2.0.

I rebooted my ROCK but it still wont connect to the Roon allinone running on the PC.

No, I meant you didn’t need to revert back using Legacy. It just confuses things.

ROCK will update to v2.0, but I also don’t know why you, and others, are having problems doing that.

Since it didn’t work anyway, my advice is not to further the confusion by trying to use Legacy.

Tagging @support for you and others.

The PC has v2.0, right? It doesn’t look so from your screen shot.

Thank you for trying to help me.

To make clear what I did. I am running what I think is called roonallinone x64 on windows 10 but I just use it basically as a roon remote to control my ROCK core. On roon allinone on windows, I clicked update and it updated to roon 2.0. I did not update my ROCK core. I then restarted my roon allinone on windows and it said it could not connect to the ROCK core because the ROCK core needed to be updated. I clicked to update the ROCK core and it said it could not be updated because it does not meet the minimum specifications. Now that I have been told this, I go to the Roon 1.8 <-> 2.0 Migration FAQ and follow the instructions to downgrade roon allinione on windows from 2.0 to 1.8 legacy. I also follow the instructions to downgrade ROCK core to 1.8 even though I now realise I did not need to do this. So the situation now is that my ROCK core is working, I can control it from my android phone roon remote which is running 1.8 and has not been updated but I cannot control it from my roonallinone on windows. I have tried rebooting the ROCK core multiple times but it still says the ronnallinone on windows cannot connect to it.

ROCK does not update to V2.0

Did you follow the directions in this FAQ under the section called RoonOS Core 1.8 Legacy (Nucleus / ROCK):

Thanks for your reply. Yes, as I wrote in my most recent post “I go to the Roon 1.8 ↔ 2.0 Migration FAQ and follow the instructions to downgrade roon allinione on windows from 2.0 to 1.8 legacy”.

I have followed the instructions but still the windows roon running 1.8 legacy refuses to connect to the core running 1.8.

Hi @Steven_Booker,

Tech support is pulling diagnostics I type this and we’ll respond promptly with next steps.

Given that our update servers are having difficulty reaching your Core, it’s likely that we’ll be unable to automatically request logs for your account. It will expedite our investigation if you can send us logs from your end.

Would you mind using the directions found below and here and then uploading a set of logs to our File Uploader?

1. Using a Windows machine, open File Explorer and navigate to \ROCK\Data and use Guest as the username and password. You should then see the RoonServer folder. Using a Mac, open Finder and navigate to smb://ROCK/Data and use Guest as the username and password. You should then see the RoonServer folder.

2. Locate your Roon or RoonServer database – in most cases, you will want to send us logs from your Roon database (specific instructions on how to access the database found below)

3. Find the folder called Logs

a. This folder generally contains Roon_log.txt , Roon_log.01.txt, ect. or RoonServer_log.txt, RoonServer_log.01.txt, ect. (if making use of RoonServer)

4. Zip up the entire Logs folder

a. On macOS: Right Click → choose Compress Logs

b. On Windows, Right Click → choose Send ToCompressed Zipped Folder

c. Please do not send individual log files

5. Rename the zip file to include your Community username, name, or your email address

a. Please don’t send your logs over as logs.zip

6. Send us a link to the zip file

a. The easiest way to do this is to upload the logs to our Logs Upload Server and let the support staff know you did so.

there are two topics on the same subject here… let’s move to the other one.