Roon Remote App for latest Apple TV

Debating a feature is fine, but I really don’t think it is our place to decide what the Roon team should “focus” on. None of us have any idea what effort would be needed to implement a feature or what resources Roon has for the task. Lets stick to debating the feature on its merits and not pit my feature request vs your feature request.

2 Likes

ATV4 is running tvOS, which shares the foundation with iOS but is far from the same. Touch targets on the screen are not mapped to the actual touch area – a touch interface would be of little use here. No mouse cursors on iOS. Not saying there are no solutions, just that they do a rethink of Roon’s rich interface that goes beyond ‘it should be very easy’.

It’s good that this request is out there for Roon to consider (that’s what the feature requests forum is for) – but I wouldn’t get my hopes up for it to happen anytime soon.

2 Likes

Your response seems a bit hostile. I was simply stating my personal opinion on the feature.

I should have said Apple TV 4 (not 3). You raise some good point, but I disagree a bit. There is an onscreen cursor, it just works a bit differently than what we traditionally think of as a cursor. The highlight on a clickable item is equivalent to the mouse cursor. This will work very nicely with the existing Roon interface. In Roon, when you have a grid of albums (or whatever), it is very much like the main screen on Apple TV. When you need to slide the grid left or right, you can swipe left/right on the remote just like you can on an iPad. I don’t think it is the limiting issue here.

You were saying that your feature request is more important. So yeah, I think that is obnoxious and challenged you on it.

Obnoxious? really? I thought this was supposed to be friendly forum.

I don’t see where my post was any more or less unfriendly than yours. I did not call your post obnoxious until you described me as hostile. I never called you names in my post, I just disagreed and I stand by what I said. If you want to disagree about the need for a feature or how it should work, go ahead. If you want to argue that your request is more important than anyone elses (as you did), well…

Yes, the artists/albums screens would work nicely – but these are about the only ones. Just imagine navigating an album detail page (to name just one) that way… Not to mention settings, popups, long presses/right-clicks… Hopping every touch/click target for UI is well eh… clumsy, to say the least. :wink:

Oh, I agree. I think they should do a stripped down version for Apple TV 4. At least at first. I think that would make most of us happy.

I believe we are talking about different things. Yes one can stream to Apple TV. Yes you can use mirroring. I e done both. This is not the same as having a ROON app in the new Apple TV. From what I’ve read above this option would make ROON have the same feature which is called " theater view" in JR.

One needs to read the entire forum above to understand what I’m referring to.

I’m still waiting for a reply from roonlabs on this matter. My subscription recently expired and I’m reluctant to renewing it when there’s no response to this request. Apple music on the Apple TV does a fine job for now.

I definitely want a simplified Roon Remote on Apple TV 4. The device is not perfect but more than capaple for only browsing and playback control. No settings is required to be done on atv. Look how sleek the native music app on atv smartly plays. It even shows pretty lyrics now.
I have the microRendu as an endpoint instead of atv, choosing quality over convenience. There’s no remote playback control. Adding a atv remote app simply fix the convenience issue.
Just noticed Roon stating the API for playback control is open in 1.3. Is there any tech master here can make an atv app for this? Seems Roon team is spending there limited resources on other stuff.

2 Likes

Come on roon development team. Is it going to happen or not? Is it on the road map? Are there plans? Is it in development? Please reply!!

1 Like

Just wondering if the recent Roon API has made this closer to a possibility. I don’t have the talent but I wonder if someone talented out there is working on a basic Remote Remote app for the Apple TV, just for basic cover art to fill a big TV and play/pause/next/prev track. Just basic functions but it would look great to have cover art filling the big screen.

Note this would be different to mirroring an iPad or iPhone screen because it would control playback of the core to any endpoint if required, not just to the Apple TV which is limited to 16/44 PCM audio.

Well there are definitely web based control extensions starting to appear. It’s early days on the API - I’m sure someone with an Apple TV and the skills/desire to do it will get there at some point. Can you load generic applications on an Apple TV without cracking it though? If not, I guess it’s unlikely.

1 Like

It has to go through App Store approval but if it took some work to get it there I’d be happy to pay for an Apple TV Roon Remote app if it looked good and worked reliably.

2 Likes

Any chance of a Roon AppleTV App?

2 Likes

I would love to see an Apple TV interface for Roon. I’d still want the audio to play from my selected audio output (not the TV), but to be able to choose the music and see what’s playing on the TV would be fantastic.

2 Likes

This feature has been one that has been requested for some time. Dealing with the Mighty Apple Corporation is probably extremely difficult to say the least. Roon seems always willing to add reasonable and useful features. My guess is the holdup would be on the Apple side of things. If that’s the case, Roon can’t really comment.

They have iOS Remote apps already, with much more functionality.

This Apple TV app would be even less functionality, not more, no?