Roon Remote App for latest Apple TV

@Michael_Kobb I assume you are talking about control through the Apple remote (a “10-foot” interface), which is a whole new thing. Roon doesn’t do that. A good 10-foot design is not a trivial task.

If you mean controlling the interface with touch from a tablet, Apple already does mirroring, of course.

(My personal view is that the 10-foot interface is completely obsoleted by touch.)

Apple app store is in the business of allowing apps to interface as per the design of ios ipads and iphones. Probably a little trickier with the Apple TV hardware, since most people want to utilize Apple TV for the visual, and leave the audio to their respective endpoint. I have a littany of apple products, and my sense has always been - here is the product, use it our way.

@AndersVinberg Yes, that’s what I meant – I’d love to be able to navigate my Roon interface on the TV. You’re right of course – the existing interface is designed for touch or mouse. It would not be a direct port to something that can be operated with what is fundamentally a D-pad. I would rather that a number of other things were done first (like non-destructive queues! :wink:), but it would be a very cool feature for the future.

1 Like

Hmmm I don’t follow why Apple would get in Roon’s way for the Apple TV and not the iPhone/iPad. I personally just think Roon are more pre-occupied with other things.

Danny already hinted interest in a Remote app btw but I just think they have bigger fish to fry for the time being.

I think the new Apple TV with it’s touchscreen type remote would make a perfect interface for controlling my Roon system. I would be happy to pay for an app.

2 Likes

@danny
Will there ever such an app ?

My understanding is not, as the Apple TV acts as an endpoint already, however it’s a bit unclear to me how that endpoint really works, as no RAAT inside, but I suppose the same applies for iPhone which also acts as a perfect endpoint, so no need for RAAT in the Apple TV.

+1

I think the Roon tablet/phone apps are stellar but I still really like the idea of a 10ft experience and album are on a large display.

1 Like

It’s airplay

Airplay tends to be buggy. It randomly disconnects and does not use the full screen. In addition it does not allow any kind of control through the Apple TV itself and the airplay device needs to be on and open. It is not the same as having a roon remote app on the Apple TV.

In addition if we had RAAT on Apple TV, we would have a very nice HDMI interface for multichannel DAC’s and surround processors :grinning:

I have no idea if there are some hardware limitations on the Apple TV to achieve this, but it does support Atoms, so I would expect no problems.

I don’t know if 24/192 is possible, or how much to expect, based on any possible HW restrictions or Apple limitation.

Edit:
There may be license issues involved as well, but I suppose can be solved by having the RAAT / Roon app a paid option.

It may be against Roon religion tough :grinning:

1 Like

I occasionally use Airplay wirelessly from my Mac to my AppleTV 4. I also use it fairly often from my iPad to my Apple TV. For me, Airplay rarely disconnects, is always full screen with no noticeable degradation of the image, and the Apple TV remote works to pause/play. Maybe something wrong with your network or you have older hardware.

I don’t think we are ever going to get RAAT on Apple TV. I’ve looked over the Apple TV programming APIs and I doubt it is possible. However, we could still have an Apple TV version of the remote app. That would make me pretty happy. :slight_smile:

No I use an Ipad Pro. It can’t be full screen because the screen ratio is different.

As for disconnections I suppose it could depend on wifi quality.

Either way it is not as good as having direct control through the Apple TV since you don’t need to rely on 2 pieces of hardware communicating with each other through wifi - that is by definition more likely to cause issues than just having a single direct (or even wifi connection).

Also as I said earlier, airplay does not allow control via the Apple TV remote control or interface which makes it a flawed hack at best which still needs to be controlled through the connected IOS device.

A Roon remote app would actually be really useful for me and as I have said before I would be willing to pay for it.

Given that IOS apps already exist it would not be too hard to port them either.

As for using an Apple TV as an endpoint I don’t see any reason why that can’t happen either given the similarity in hardware between the latest version and other IOS devices that allow this (not sure about older versions of ATV though).

I wouldn’t use it as an endpoint but that doesn’t mean it would not be useful to others.

A remote control app for Apple TV would still be great.

still no project for that ? having a 65’ screen to browse my lib would be genius !!!

come on roon and do it please !!!

1 Like

I find myself using the Tidal app more and more because I have no Roon on my Apple TV and Roon on my DAP(which I use at work) only works on my home network.

I was surprised Roon remote is not available on Apple TV. Would be really great to keep my head up browsing Roon remote on my TV screen like I do for Tidal and Apple Music.

2 Likes

I know this is an old thread but i’m still interested in this - apple tv app as roon remote (however limited). My android tablet as remote is hopeless (crashes, hangs, constant reboot…etc) and my iphone is OK, but its not involving. I have a chromecast for display - gorgeous but no control options. “Buy an ipad” i hear you say. Can’t afford it, and if i could i would buy an audio upgrade, not a controller. My family love roon, but need an intuitive way to control it. The TIDAL app on Apple TV is limited, but you know, it works…
Yep - i want audio stream via my main system and basic control via Apple TV. The pi was an affordable endpoint that changed everything. Lots of people have an Apple TV that is underused…

3 Likes

+1 I would love to see this happen.

2 Likes

+1 here too

1 Like