Roon remote apps on iPhone 13 Pro and iPad Pro freezing intermittently, requiring reinstallation to temporarily fix issue (ref#P4PQ3Y)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble connecting to Roon

What type of connection issue?

Sometimes I can connect, sometimes I can't

The Roon remote apps on my IPhone 13 Pro and my iPad Pro (11-inch) (4th generation) keep freezing. The only way I can get them to work again is by uninstalling and reinstalling them but after a few minutes they freeze again. I have also tried rebooting my Nucleus as well as the iPhone and iPad but the problem persists. Both these devices are running on the latest software update. I’ve had this problem intermittently since I bought the Nucleus new about 5-6 months ago and fixed the problem by taking the above steps but it has got worse during the last week and it is now happening every time I use it effectively leaving my Nucleus unplayable.

1 Like

Hi @MARTIN_WEBB,

Thank you for the report.

Was the app backgrounded on either iOS device before the crash? Are there any error messages displayed by Roon or by the iOS system after the crash?

The team will activate diagnostics mode in the meantime. Please try to run Roon Remote for at least a few minutes on either iOS device and let us know if the issue reproduces. This will generate an automatic log report for our team.

Hi Connor.

Thank you for your reply.

The crashes mainly occurred when the apps were not grounded. On some occasions a message would appear on the app stating “something not right”, “connection lost” or “unable to connect”. No error messages from IOS. The issue has improved since the last IOS update to 17.4 and since then the apps on both devices will typically freeze once a day whereas prior to the update they would freeze on both devices several times a day.

Hi @MARTIN_WEBB,

We’ve glanced at diagnostics and can see multiple local IP addresses have been reported by these iOS remotes to RoonServer. Do you have a Private WiFi Address enabled in the WiFi settings on this phone and iPad? What about a VPN?

There also appear to be multiple subnets active in your network. The iPad and iPhone may be switching between available network connections and losing sight of your entire Roon ecosystem which remains on the original network.

Can you please elaborate on your network setup here? How many routers do you have, and how are they connected? Do you have any mesh nodes or access points?

And most importantly - where in your network setup is the Nucleus connecting to the internet?

Hi Connor

Private Wi-Fi Address was enabled in both IPhone and iPad. I’ve just disabled it on both devices.

I have a VPN on both devices. I only use the VPN on the phone when I’m using a public WiFi hotspot but sometimes I forget to turn it off when I get home. I only use the VPN on the iPad at home about twice a week and usually remember to turn it off after wards. I had considered that the VPN may have caused the problem but found that the problem persisted even when the VPN was switched off. It’s always been worse with the phone than the iPad.

I have one router (Bt Smart Hub 2) in my lounge on the ground floor of my home. As my hifi system is the opposite side of the room to the router, I have a Gigabit Cat 8 Ethernet cable running from the router to a
Netgear 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged switch which sits at the bottom of my Hifi rack behind the Nucleus. My Cambridge Audio CXN v2 Netwwork player is on the shelve above the Nucleus and both Nucleus and CXN v2 are connected to the switch by 1m Gigabit Cat 8 cables. An Ethernet cable of the same spec runs out of the switch to an identical network switch in my study upstairs from which my desktop computer and a back up router are connected by Ethernet cables of the same spec. This router is there as a back up. it is only used if my main router fails, when it would automatically activate and use the EE 5G signal to provide WiFi to my devices. This doesn’t happen very often.

I have two WiFi boosters, one in a bedroom on the first floor and one in the conservatory.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Hi @MARTIN_WEBB,

Thank you for your patience and for a thorough description of the setup. We’ve re-examined diagnostics with this schematic in mind.

Here’s the synopsis: WiFi is always vulnerable to interference, but your Nucleus is effectively hardwired directly to the main upstream router and multicast distribution point for the Wifi on the entire ground floor. Your Cambridge device is similarly hardwired directly to this network node, just downstream of the main router. None of this sounds like an obvious failure point - particularly if you’re experiencing these Remote issues on the ground floor, there’s something else going on.

The symptoms you’ve reported with your Remotes are consistent with an ongoing pattern of iOS and Android broker disconnections we’re investigating with development.

I recommend attempting to reproduce this issue when you’re in the same room as the router, verifying that the phone or tablet is connected to the Smart Hub 2. If the Remotes freeze and you encounter this under those conditions, the likelihood of this requiring a Roon fix is quite high.

Hi Connor.

Your synopsis is correct and the problem continues. I’ve had to reboot my iPhone, delete and reinstall the app as well as rebooting Nucleus again today. The problem is more prevalent with the iPhone than it is with the iPad but both are prone to slowing up and losing my history as well as completely freezing. This nearly always happens when I’m in my lounge on the ground floor where I sit about two feet away from the smart hub and about seven feet away from my Nucleus and Cambridge Audio streamer. I had some respite for a day or two after the recent updates but now the problem is back again daily.

I can confirm that when this happens my devices are still connected to the Smart Hub 2 and working well in every other respect.

Hi Connor

The problem continues as described in my previous message. Please advise me what you had in mind when you mentioned a “Roon Fix” and when this will take place. Have you ruled out the possibility that the problem could be caused by a fault in my Nucleus?

Thank you.

I have a similar experience with iPhone and iPad . Any news of a fix ?

Hi Martin. I’m still waiting for a reply about a “Roon fix”. However, since the last update my devices have been more stable although still not perfect. The iPad is ok most of the time but I still have to reboot my iPhone at leats once a day. I’m wondering if this is all due to the Roon app being buggy because I don’t have this problem if I play directly from my Cambridge Audio app.

thanks for the feedback. I sometimes find that the problem fixes itself if I leave things unattended for a couple of hours. My Nucleus+ is one of the originals but still works perfectly. For Roon tech, device info: iphone 15 pro max; ipad pro (12.9 inch) 3rd gen; updated software on all devices; router = unifi udm pro and unifi ap’s