Roon remote/bridge app freezes

I’ve had this problem since my subscription a couple of years ago. It freezes every 20-30 minutes when I click the arrow icon on top left to go back to albums library from an album view (see picture below). I have a rather sizable library with 189710 track, all in various hi-res formats. I am running roon core on synology ds920+. I recently updated roon core with the help of this forum. I expected software upgrade would sort this problem out, but it seems it got worse. Freezing happens more often. I am using Windows 11 pc for roon bridge, and my Macbook, iphone and ipad for remote. Freezing happens across all the platforms. You might attribute the problem to NAS, but it happened when I used my PC or Mac to do the job of roon core with a hdd connected directly to a computer. I thought it was a bug every roon user has to suffer, but apparently it is not. Please help me sort out this problem, this really has been a great pain.

I have re-assigned your question to the Roon Software Support category so it may get more attention. Your library is fairly large, but your Synology NAS may be underpowered to support such a large number of tracks.

There may be a few items to consider, but some adidtional information would be helpful. Can you provide some additional information as per the categories below:

Describe Your Setup

It’s important that you include all relevant setup information so our team can get a clear understanding of the issue.

Your post should include:

• Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Memory, Roon build)
  • Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
  • Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)
  • Audio devices in use
  • Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)

Including these details in your post helps us resolve your issues faster.

1 Like

Dear Robert,

A rough answer. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more.

Core machine - Sinology DS920+, CPU Intel Celeron J4125. HDD 9TB/5.83TB in use, RAM 8GB, 16GB SSD cache, Roon build 1021
Roon Bridge - Dell XPS-13, CPU Intel Core i7 1.80GHz, RAM 8GB, OS Windows 11 Home x64
Remote - iPhone XR 256GB iOS 15.6.1, iPad Pro 2nd Gen 256GB iOS 15.6.1, MacBook Air M1 512GB OS 12.5.1, Roon build 1021
Networking 1Gbps internet, Wifi connection through Google Nest router
Streaming Roon through Chord Poly+Mojo
Library - All music stored in Sinology NAS, using Tidal together with Roon, total track 189,815 in library.

Best,
Keewoong

Thank you Keewong. A few observations and questions:

• The Core still seems underpowered given the size of your library based on the use of a Celeron CPU and not a desktop or mobile CPU, and also the RAM may be low again due to size of the library

• Are you running the Roon application on your XPS-13, or the Roon Bridge application, or both? The Bridge application is a very lightweight application that does not contain any user-interface or major functionality other than that needed to connect to an endpoint on whatever system it is running (Mac, Windows, Linux). The general application provides a user interface and can act as a Core, a Remote, or even a Bridge if that’s how you want to configure it. Based on your screenshot above, it appears that you have the Windows desktop application installed as a Remote, is that correct?

• Are all of your connected devices using WiFi, or is anything connected directly to the Nest router using an Ethernet cable? Roon recommends the Core always be connected to the network via Ethernet cable for reliability and consistency of operations and the user experience. The Nest WiFi router has decent specifications, but if it is used in a mesh configuration, your performance will drop as some of the network capacity is used to connect each mesh node. Can you provide any more information on how your network is configured? What is wired, what is using WiFi, are you using any Nest mesh nodes, etc.

• Finally, the Poly supports only the older 2.4 GHz WiFi band, which is very crowded. The Nest router does not have as much capacity for connected devices or the bandwidth as the 5 GHz band. Not sure if this matters but it may be another symptom of what you are experiencing.

1 Like

Dear Robert,

Thanks for the reply. Here are my answers to your questionsL

1. It’s true that my Roon Core sounds underpowered witn Celeron cpu and 8GB RAM. As I said, however, freezing has been a constant feature from the beginning when I used Roon entirely wired - a HDD drive with music files connected to a Windows PC or a Macbook (Roon Core) via usb connection, which is then connected to a DAC via usb cable. For this reason, I’m not inclined to see my network as a problem.

2. I am running both Roon remote and bridge on my XPS-13 (please see picture below). The Bridge thing was merely my stating what I saw in the picture.

3. All my devices that are configured as the remotes (PC, iPhone, iPad, and Macbook) are connected wirelessly. The NAS (the Roon Core), however, is connected to the Nest via ethernet. Yes, I use Nest in a mesh configuration. I use two Nest devices, a hub and a node. However, the problem was there before the Nest coming into the fold.

4. This is a home network of a family of two protected by WPA2. We only have 9 devices connected to WiFi - two laptops, two mobile phones, two ipads, two streamers (Poly and Bluesound Node), and a robot vacuum. I’m not sure if this is crowded enough to cause the problem. Again, the freezing started long before I used Poly.

Keewong, thank you for the additional details. I’m not sure if it matters, but you should be able to delete the Bridge application from your XPS-13 as the standard application provides the same functionality. Roon places a heavy emphasis on your network, and the Core needs to have enough CPU power to support this management. Additionally, with such a large library, you also may need additional RAM in the Core to manage its database and updates.

While the network does not have many connected devices, depending on the location of the XPS-13, the network may be a partial issue. Is it possible to connect the XPS-13 via Ethernet cable to the router and eliminate another variable? Also, are the iPhones and iPads also freezing, or just the XPS-13?

Dear Robert,

Thank you again for the suggestsions. I’ll follow everthing that’s possible, although I’m not entirely convinced that will sort out my problem. Yes, freezing happens across all devices. Nothing goes without interruption for an hour.

1 Like

Best of luck, keep us updated please.

1 Like

Hey @Keewoong_Lee,

Ben here from the support team, thanks for taking the time to write in and bring this issue to our attention! And a massive thank you to @Robert_F for all of the tips and information thus far. Robert is a true pro, and very much steering you in the right direction, Keewoong!

As a next step, please reproduce the issue and grab a timestamp (date, time) and share it here. From there, our team can enable diagnostics on your account to take a deeper look at what might be going on at the time of the freezing. We’ll also need to grab a set of your windows event viewer logs. Please follow the steps below:

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Upload the Event Viewer logs here and let us know once you’ve done so:

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

I’ll be on standby for your reply :+1:

Thank you Ben for this. I understand what I need to do with the exception of grabbing a timestamp. Is it the same thing as grabbing windows event viewer logs or something else? I will report the event viewer logs, but I don’t know how to grab a timestamp. Please let me know.

Dear Ben,

I just uploaded the windows event viewer log file created immediately after the latest crash. Hope you find it useful.

1 Like

Hey @Keewoong_Lee,

Thanks for sending those over. After review, our team wasn’t able to find anything specifically related to the UI freeze, but we are seeing some odd networking issues going on. Are you using any VPNs on your network? If so, please try simplifying your network setup and removing any VPNs.

A timestamp is just writing down a simple note of the date and time of when the freezing occurred :+1:

Thank you again, Ben. There is no VPN in my network. I just use mesh internet with Google Nest as wifi router - one hub and one node. It’s strange the recurring freezing on every remote does not leave a clue. It looks like I might have to live with it unfortunately.

Hey @Keewoong_Lee,

I just followed up via PM for next steps. Please keep an eye out for a message from me :pray:

Dear Ben,

I replied to your message but am not sure if you received it since I received a delivery failed message. If you haven’t received mine, please let me know how I can reach you.

Hey @Keewoong_Lee,

There is no reply to the private message I’ve sent, please check and re-send, thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Dear Ben,

Would you let me know how I can access your private message if it’s not the email you sent me the other day? I am unable to reply your email since your address does not permit me to do it. Thanks.

Hey @Keewoong_Lee,

Please head to community.roonlabs.com > log into your account > click the profile icon > messages.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.