Roon Remote chronic freeze issue. Must reboot app to unfreeze app

Didn’t get any notification of this from support on my ticket which is the same issue. As far as I knew they had not been able to replicate it. This is a reason this support model needs revamping and Roons comms need vastly improving.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a problem that on the one hand they prefer separate threads (which typically makes sense at least as long as a new issue is still mysterious) but then can’t notify each one of 50 threads separately.

1 Like

Let’s hope we get a solution soon then.

1 Like

And that it’s one solution that fixes all the different cases :slight_smile:

1 Like

I want to stress that it’s not just IOS devices. I’m using remote on a Samsung Android tablet. I’ve got it bad. Have to close the app and restart every 5 or 6 actions.

It’s been going on for weeks.

1 Like

This happens on my Amazon Fire tablet which I bought to use exclusively as a roon remote.

I am tagging @support for them to look into this.

So, I have been having this issue too for about 2 months. I have to shut down the app and restart the app to get remote control functions again. I have also tried to self-diagnose and tried some other things, but never got different results.

So this morning, I decided to try a few things to see if anything would help, and it did. I went to the iOS Setting section on my iPhone (12 Pro, 512GB) scrolled down to the Roon App, then went to the Siri & Search section and turned off everything except Show on Home Screen. I also turned off Notifications.

It’s been a few hours now with these settings, and each time I go to my iPhone, it is in Sleep mode, wake it up, go to the Roon app, which was left open, and it is refreshed and ready to act as remote with all commands and options available.

If I am using my iPhone and just switch to a different app, when I return back to Roon, again it is refreshed and ready to act as remote with all commands and options available. Previously, it had always been frozen and unresponsive.

I also noticed that there is a difference with the Roon app and the Roon ARC app in iOS settings. The Roon ARC has a setting to turn on Background App Refresh, which on mine was turned on.

Does this make a difference that the Roon app doesn’t have this? Did it used to have this? I can’t remember now.

Interesting, but as a data point I have everything ON there except Call Hang Up, and Notifications ON for Roon and ARC as well, and I have no issues whatsoever.

I only have the ARC toggle as well and it’s on by default

Well, maybe I shouldn’t have posted…after over 8 hours of reliable work, the app froze again. So, those app settings changes probably don’t have anything to do with it. Oh, well. Maybe it will give @Support something to think about and investigate the code in the app to make sure that something didn’t get changed by mistake.

Correct! Android 14 on Pixel7: same issue

This thread caught my interest as I also benefit from this ‘feature’:smirk: on my dedicated iPad. A fix would be nice, but I’m now so used to closing the App and restarting it that I don’t even register it as a big problem. It only takes 20s and playback continues during the process. I’d be considerably more upset if listening was interrupted. I feel for the developers trying to unravel this tangle, so good luck guys!

Same problem here. It happens all the time after iPad sleep. Have to close the app and open it again.

Never had that problem before.

Torben

1 Like

I just discovered that Roon was using 54 Gb of my iPad memory , I deleted and reinstalled it dropped to 0.5 gb

Can this be related I wonder

Let’s wait and see?

I only have 1.39 GB - so I don’t think it is related to the “freeze” issue

Torben

Having the same problem with my iPad freezing up constantly.

1 Like