Roon Remote Crashing Frequently While Navigating Library - Mac Mini M1, Macbook Pro M1

Roon Core Machine

Roon 1.8, Build 970, Mac Mini 2020 M1, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, MacOS 12.2.1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

recent Xfinity modem/router connected by ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Roon Remote:
Roon 1.8, Build 970, Macbook Pro 2021, M1, 16GB RAM, MacOS 12.4, connected by wifi

Number of Tracks in Library

3804 artists, 11,738 albums, 146,605 tracks

Description of Issues

Roon Remote frequently crashing when I navigate through my library. This always happens when I press the “back” arrow while viewing an album page. As soon as I press the arrow, a spinning wheel appears and the Roon Remote on the Macbook Pro needs to be restarted. Roon Core is never affected and the music keeps playing. Roon Remote on my iPad also continues to work without issue.

This has been happening for a few months on an intermittent basis. This morning it’s happened about 5 times already. I’ve restarted both computers with no luck. I also restart the Roon Core every morning due to lagging performance.

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be appreciated, and I’m happy to provide more info as needed. Thanks in advance for your support.

Have you deleted and reinstalled roon on the pro?

I haven’t tried that yet actually… I’ll do it and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

I found 11.6.x much more stable on the MMM1 I have, 12.x just didn’t work so well. 16gb/512ssd/wired lan,headless with Roon server b970

Deleted Roon on the Macbook Pro last night and first thing this morning it froze up again when I hit the back arrow. Spinning wheel, need to “force quit” the Remote but the Core is working just fine.

Still happening somewhat frequently… Maybe once every hour on average. Sometimes it comes in bunches, then it will go several hours without happening.

Hi @Joseph_Squires ,

How did you delete Roon on the Macbook Pro, did you set the previous database aside? If you only removed the Roon app from Applications, please try these instructions instead:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location on the affected Macbook Pro (Not the Core)
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Noris, thanks a lot for the suggestion. I didn’t set the old database aside, so I would be happy to give this a try.

I’m just curious, is there any reason to save the old database on the Remote device? I assumed that all of my database settings were saved on the Core machine.

I took the suggested steps and created a new database, however the issue still persists. Roon Remote froze twice this morning when I hit the “back” arrow on an album page.

Hi @Joseph_Squires ,

When you create a backup, this saves your Core database, the backup here was a “just-in-case” measure.

Sorry to hear this.

Can you please let me know the exact local time + date you experience the next crash (not just a freeze)? Perhaps logs can provide more clues.

Thanks for your response. I haven’t experienced any crashes over the last few days, which is great. I’ll create a log if/when it happens next. Thanks again.

1 Like

After two weeks with no issues, I got the spinning wheel again this morning. I’ll try starting a log and see if that helps shed light on what might be causing it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.