Roon remote install cannot see local sound devices

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Home
Intel i5-9600K 3.7GHz
16.0GB RAM
Roon 1.7 build 610

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Connection via WiFi (ASUS RT-AC86U router)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

No audio devices – this is the problem

Description Of Issue

I am a Roon newbie.

Roon (Version 1.7 build 610) is installed on a secondary laptop. I also have RoonBridge running on this laptop. I want to be able to stream music from my Roon Core to this device, with the output going to a DAC local to this device.

I can successfully connect to my Roon Core, but Roon does not see any sound devices local to my laptop. Other devices on the network (Apple TV, Oppo UDP-203) can be seen.

Secondary laptop specs.
Windows 10
Intel Core i7-8650U 1.9GHz
16.0 GB RAM
Roon 1.7 build 610

If your intention is to use a USB DAC, is it connected and switched on?

It is, I can see the device and can use it. There are three sound devices on the laptop, but none of them are visible in Roon.

Disable the firewall and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m unable to disable the firewall as this is a company-owned device, but I did grant permissions for the apps raatserver.exe and roonbridgehelper.exe in the Windows Firewall. There is also McAfee Firewall running, the settings of which I am unable to change. It sounds like this might be my problem.

FWIW, I don’t have any issues with a local copy of JRiver accessing a remote server and streaming to from the server to local devices, but perhaps JRiver’s technical implementation is fundamentally different than Roon.

Hi @Arthur_Miller,

Yes, this is very likely the issue here. We have seen firewalls interfere with Roon in the past, and if the proper exceptions are not added then Roon won’t be able to pick up the attached devices.

Since you cannot disable/change the firewall, you may want to look into another Roon Bridge solution like a Rasberry Pi, and these are very inexpensive.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.