Roon Remote not working in another room using a router/extender

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Desktop PC, Windows 10

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Desktop PC is connected Ethernet to my office upstairs. The Roon Core runs on it.
In my HT where I listen to my audio system, I have a router and extender that is wired to the main router in my office.
Roon Remote is on Ipad air and will be used in the HT room about 40 ft away from the main network upstairs,

Audio Devices (Specify what device youā€™re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
I have not tried using the Denon AVR device in my HT room yet.

Problem Description:

I just signed up to using Roon and run into this show stopper issue:
Roon Remote works fine in the office upstairs, but when I walked away from office, the WiFi signal was dropped and the Roon Remote stopped working. I need it to connect to the Router/Extender in my HT room, but it is considered on different network by looking at IP and DSN addresse

Hi @Hoa_Pham and welcome to the Roon support forum.

Disclaimer: Iā€™m just a fellow Roon user as you are, trying to help other users.

Are this actually two devices or is it just one? But anyways ā€¦

So youā€™re able to run a wire from your router to the HT. This is something you can work with, thatā€™s good.

As of your description, youā€™re using a router to connect the HT to your main router. A router is a device to connect different networks together. So itā€™s no surprise seeing different network addresses reported here.

According to the KB-article ā€œWhy canā€™t Roon Remote Connect?ā€ itā€™s important to be sure all devices are on the same network, and have the same network settings. You can find more information about recommended network setups in the KB-article ā€œNetworking Best Practicesā€. Hereā€™s a little excerpt from it:

For homes that require multiple access points

ā€¦

The most scalable and high performance solution is the traditional option: combine a router with several access points. These networks can scale to hundreds of access points and tens of thousands of devices if deployed properly. The main downside is that it can be a little bit more expensive, are usually more complex to configure, and require that each access point has a wired connection.

Replacing the router/extender in your HT with an access point would be the recommended solution here.

Some routers can also be configured as (pure) access points. Please consult the documentation of your router in the HT to find out about its capabilities and proper configuration should AP-mode being supported by your model.

1 Like

This setup is also sometimes referred to as ā€˜bridge modeā€™. I have this same sort of setup at home (the other router is in an outside shop) and it works fine.

Why should the OP using WDS when he has a wire?

You are right @BlackJack ! I picked a bad example. (link removed).

Thank you for your suggestions.
My extended router is ASUS, so I contacted ASUS support, they tried to help me by logging in to my home network. They discovered that it was locked out due to other users had attached to it, and asked me to pay $150 for them to remove the blocks so they could change the ASUS to become as access point. Does this make sense?

Nope. That sounds like a scam.

What model is the ASUS router? It could be very easy to do yourself.
Seems pretty straightforward. @BlackJack, is this what you had in mind?
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1015009/

Yes, that is access point mode configuration. As you can see, setup is pretty straight forward for devices that support this configuration.

Let the device obtain itā€™s IP-address automatically is save, but you may have to lookup the actual address every time when you need to access the configuration page. If you want to use a fixed address instead, login to the actual router and configure a static lease in itā€™s DHCP-server.

For the wireless, you should choose the same SSID and key phrase as you setup on the router. If you have a chance to asses the WLAN situation in the HT (there are mobile apps that can do that) choose chanel(s) with least pollution. Try to avoid using the same channels as on the router (you may have to change channels there to) unless you made shure that the main routers WLAN canā€™t be seen from devices in or around the HT.

Thanks to grossmsj and BlackJack, I tried what you suggested and it now works!!
I have 2 more questions:

1. The Roon core in my desktop recognizes my HT receiver Denon, how do I play music through it? Do I need to buy an Roon end point or Apple airplay?
  2. I intend to try out the Teac NT-505 streamer/DAC and connect to my 2 channel audio system(separate from HT receiver), but it requires a wired ethernet connection, I plan to run a long 25ft ethernet cable from the Asus access point to the 505, do you think it would work?
    Comcast router/modem ā€”>Asus routerā€”>Teac 505ā€“>RCA connect to Preamp.
    Thanks again.

Thatā€™s great!
It appears the Teac NT-505 is Roon Ready. You should confirm that with a dealer. The approach you propose should work fine. This is how itā€™s designed to work.

I donā€™t know about the Denon, do you have more information about it (model #)?
Can you provide a screen shot of Settings>Audio that includes what you see about the Denon?
A Roon Bridge that would take the ethernet signal and output something like USB or SPDIF will almost always work, but if Roon sees the Denon it might be able to accept the signal from Roon without it.

Itā€™s great news to hear that your network is now up and running.

As @grossmsj already wrote, a 25ft ethernet cable isnā€™t a thing.

Iā€™m not the multi channel home theatre guy so I canā€™t answer your questions regarding the Denon. As another user maybe asked already similar questions, have you already tried the search function of this forum?
Alternatively you can also open up a new thread in the #audio-products section of the forum.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.